How long does a panic attack last?

Jamie Rautenberg, LCSW

I'm passionate about helping clients understand emotional experiences & mental chatter do not define who they are. I'm here to guide them through the fog back to themselves.

Anonymous
Panic attacks can be different in different people. I find I get shortness of breath and a feeling of uncontrollable fear and panic over me that can last from 30 seconds up to several minutes.
Ametrine
Symptoms of a panic attack usually reach their worst within ten minutes. On average most end within twenty to thirty minutes. It is rare for a panic attack to last longer than an hour. It is important to focus on your breathing and find somewhere comfortable to rest while you wait it out.
SammieK
It really depends on the severity. Sometimes minutes, sometimes hours. If you find a way to cope it becomes much easier to handle.
Anonymous
It can be different for everybody, it could be a minute or many hours. It depends on the person and how they are
DevinT7
Panic attacks usually reach their peak by 10 minute's time, and typically subside within half an hour.
Anonymous
It honestly depends on the person, and why they're having a panic attack. They can typically range from a few minutes to a few hours.
TalkToMe21
I can only go based on my personal experience. I have never seen anyone else having a panic attack. My panic attacks typically have a build up of less than thirty minutes while my actual attack lasts any where from two to seventeen minutes. It's the aftershocks that are long. It take a whole twenty-four hours for me to be back to normal.
Anonymous
A panic attack lasts as long as you let it. You have to slow down and let yourself breathe and really promise that everything is going to be okay. In for five, hold for three, out for seven. Everything is alright.
Whitepawlove
Panic attacks are never fun. In my experience, they can last for days. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, they last a few minutes.
neverendingMelon46
It depends on how long your in the situation for and how bad it is. I've had them last just a minute and then for almost half an hour. Until you can calm yourself down or someone else can pretty much.
Anonymous
It varies from person to person. But when you have your panic attack, try to take a deep breath in and out and remember that you're the person in charge of your body. If you can keep focusing on your breath and that thought, you might be able to rid the panic attack sooner, rather than later.
JessThePhangirl
It can last as long as you feel anxious. To stop a panic attack, just breath deeply in rythmaticaly.
Anonymous
Panic attacks can last any about if time. Mine span from about a minute to 30 minutes. It all depends on the person
Jenniiy
Recently I read that a panic attack last about 15 Minutes +/- . I don't agree with this in all aspects. I think it's true that it doesn't last that long. But these fear and thoughts are still there. So till you calm yourself down it takes time..
Anonymous
All panic attacks go for different amounts of times depending on if someone is their to calm you down, how big the issues is and just how you personally react.
Anonymous
it can vary alot, it can be very short and last less than a minute but usually it last longer, between 1-5 minuts, enough time for someone to calm himself or be calmed by someone
Anonymous
They usually last about 10 minutes, but can range up to an hour. Any longer than that usually means you are having another panic attack after the first.
Anonymous
It depends on the day and the circumstances. Mine last about ten minutes on average, but then I need to allow myself more time to cool down.
ComeDreamWithMe
It varies from person to person. A panic attack can last anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. It also can come in stages over that period, from moderate symptoms, to heavier, and slowing down to moderate again before the attack finally passes.
heartfulFish56
From personal experience my panic attacks last around a minute but occasionally they can be up to 10
Anonymous
My panic attacks generally last between ten minutes and an hour depending on when I begin breathing properly and if it turns into a full blown panic attack + hyperventilating
Anonymous
It differs for a lot of people. From experience it can be anywhere from 1 minute to 10 or even 15. The important part is focusing on remaining calm, no matter the length.
peachysunny
anywhere from 1 minute to 1 hour or longer it depends on the person but any length of time they should be taken completly serously
Anonymous
That depends on the person and how bad the attack is... Buuut the average time is about 15 - 20 minutes
StrawberryM
Most panic attacks only last up to 30 minutes. You can speed them up by trying different coping techniques or drinking cold water.
EtaAlpha
Everyone will experience panic attacks differently and they'll typically last different lengths of time for each person. However, on average most panic attacks will last about 20 to 30 minutes.
ZeketheStrange
As long as it takes. It depends on a multitude of variables from, mood prior to amount of sleep one has gotten.
Anonymous
A panic attack is different for every person, it feels different, the triggers are different and the length it lasts can be different. Most panic attacks however, end within 20-30 minutes, though they can also be very short.
Laliat
It's different for every person and/or situation. Sometimes it can begin immediately or gradually, reaching its peak usually within 10 to 15 minutes. But they can last as long as 20 to 30 minutes and rarely any longer than an hour.
rebeccaschultz
It depends on the person and the circumstances. It can last anywhere from a few seconds up to hours. The answer you are looking for is gonna be inside of you - listen to your body!