How to stop my brain from creating a series of situations that leads to the worst thing?

Australia

Catherine Davis, Bachelor of Community Education, Major: Counselling. Founder of Improve Mental Health Center. Author of: Improve Mental Health, Crush depression anxiety stress lack of motivation.

Therapist

Hello. I'm Catherine. I am a Person Centered Approach psychotherapist. It's my aim to get you unstuck and feeling confident to solve your problems constructively on your own.

ccasper
Identify if you're thinking in black and white terms and tell yourself life will go on irrelevant to the situation. It helped me to realize (even though most times I've thought this, it ends way better than expected) that even if the worst does happen, I will live. I have had the worst happen, and I'm ok. Identify what is making you feel this way; try to be logical as opposed to reactionary. Best of luck, I feel this question with all my heart.
AkankshaP
The best way to overcome this problem is to let your mind wander off, think of the worst case scenario first of all. Then try to negotiate with yourself, think of the positive thing around you, then think of the best case scenario and then find out where you lay in-between both. Turn your thought positive but don't stop your mind from thinking it, it will only make it worst.
Lifenote
you have to note that everything your brain creates is been created by you, having a more visual impact on your abilities to see the development on thoughts could lessen the situations leading to the worst things, I suggest a daily meditation session to connect with your mental side.
Anonymous
to stop thinking about the future, the future can give you false hope, dissapointing..... or happiness without even thought about it so you are even more happy and suprised. so don't dwell in the future, just think of the presence, what will come.. will come..... don't force it like that
Anonymous
I sometimes catch my brain falling into the rabbit hole of worst-case scenarios by realizing I go from one bad case to the next very quickly. It's easier for me to think about the worst outcome than the best. If I catch myself doing that, I try and think of the best possible outcome, even if it's unrealistic or even silly (like winning a million dollars). After exploring the extreme and unlikely ends of the spectrum, I find it is easier to imagine a more realistic scenario and outcome.
kindSound26
I think that's a pretty common problem that people have and I've dealt with that a lot before too. I think what has helped me is just trying to distract myself from thinking about it. Another thing that could take away the fear of that "worst thing" is to think about what would happen if the worst possible situation happened, how would you handle it? Would it really be the end of the world? Often times it isn't as bad as you think. And if it is, maybe try to come up with a plan for what you would do if that happened and it won't seem as frightening.
poptart99
instead of dwelling on the possible bad outcomes or something that's bothering you. talk about it or take a walk and think of ways to help the problem and better things. don't make up scenarios in your head with bad outcomes it could stress you out even more
Sol369
Distraction is often a really good way to stop yourself from thinking too much about something. So you could think about unrelated things or get a hobby to distract yourself. Another thing you could do is condition yourself to think in a more positive manner. You could, for instance, think two positive thoughts for every negative thought that you think.
Anonymous
Distract yourself from the thought process. Do something mindless like playing a game. Things like that can make you completely forget.
CatieCatWhispers
Stopping your brain from creating a series of situations that leads to the worst thing can be controlled and changed but it does take multiple steps and it could take many months, depending on the way that your mind works. But with the training, your mind can be "reprogrammed" to think more along positive thoughts than negative.
Anonymous
Stop and think while thinking about such situations. Tell yourself these are unrealistic, this is just your brain talking and telling you to jump to absurd and scary conclusions. Remind yourself that it is unlikely and you are okay and the outcome could be much different than you think.
Ballard
It's hard, I know. Slowly start guiding your brain into a different scenario altogether. Know what is and what is not likely to happen and choose to protect yourself from harm.
PaintedLyrics
It may seem a little strange but many people tend to do physical actions to get rid of their negative mental thoughts. Many people will wipe their forehead or go into the bathroom and flush the toilet as if they're flushing away their problems. This may seem a little funny but it can actually help.
Anonymous
We all do this at some point, it's basically just us worrying about the outcome of a certain situation, it's a normal thing (-: