If I cry, does it still count as a panic attack?

Cassandra Whitfield, LCSW

Social Worker

I work to help people reconnect with their inner strength and sense of hope by providing practical tools and support in a nonjudgmental and integrative approach.

rachel38
You are the expert on you. Every person that has anxiety experiences and channels it differently. For some people, crying may not signal a panic attack, but for some people, it might. It just depends on the person.
Blaze
Yes it does. Crying is a sign of emotional stress, and a panic attack is a moment of deep emotional stress. Everyone reacts his or her own way, and tears can be part of the reaction. You might cry because you feel deeply alone, or because you're afraid you're going to die, which is a common sensation during a panic attack. Please, know that it's impossible to die from a panic attack. I hope you can remember this if you ever go through one again, and I hope it can help you calm down faster.
Leo66
Absolutely. Panic attacks come in a variety of ways. The signs range from the typical ones (sweat, intense heart beat, agitation, numbness, fear) to not so typical ones (remaining silent and still, crying, running away).
punkpaintedlies
Of course! Crying during a panic attack does not make it any less of one! I occasionally cry while having a panic attack, so it's not all that uncommon of an occurrence.
Paige81
May 23rd, 2017 1:57am
Crying does not change the fact that a person is having a panic attack. You can cry during a panic attack and you can not cry during a panic attack.
ccasper
Panic attacks are attacks of disabling anxiety. People experience them differently, as people experience anxiety differently; you can cry during a panic attack, you can remain completely silent, you can scream; you can freeze up, you can run. The way you experience it does not make it any less legitimate.
Anonymous
Of course it does. Panicking often brings back memories of the awful things in our lives. It is natural for one to want to cry, and even more natural for them to do so.
Lovekensa
Of course it does, its natural to be emotional during a panic attack.The pain, unease, uncertainty can cause upset and cause for crying.
PrivatePillow
It depends on how you're feeling while crying. Sometimes you can have panick attacks and cry. Other times you can cry, and it doesn't stand as a panick attack.
DaveC2016
No, in-fact, crying can make you feel better. It is in my experience that if you are stressed, sometimes crying can make you release all that tension.
MVReverie
No. I don't think it does. A panic attack is when you feel an overwhelming amount of emotions at once.
RainbowAtHeart
Crying during panic attacks isn't super common, but isn't at all unusual by any stretch, especially for people with PTSD