Is it normal to feel like my heart is going to burst out of my chest?

Jamitia Wilson, MS, LAC

I believe that true healing occurs when one is able to honestly express how one feels about himself/herself and the world. I would be honored to support your healing change.

Anonymous
as someone that has had anxiety before, i found that when i was anxious about something my heart would feel like it would explode out of my chest, being nervous about something or having an anxiety attack can both make your heart race, so yeah, its normal and if youre feeling this way and feel like youre not normal for it youre wrong :)
Robina
It depends! Sometimes, this happens with anxiety, during panic attacks or high anxiety moments. But if this isn't normal for you, you should definitely check with a doctor.
Anonymous
Under anxiety or heavy emotion, when it's pounding so heavily, yes. It feels scary but the heart is just pumping blood incredibly fast through your veins because of the fight-or-flight response to high emotions.
MikeSupportiveListener
It's difficult to define normal. However I would say that it isn't normal to have your heart feeling like it's going to burst out of your chest. It could be a panic attack or something else. Best to see a doctor to get it checked out.
LilyFlowers
Not exactly normal per say, it depends the circumstances, anxiety, panic attacks, nervousness, context and symptoms is everything.
BreatheOut99
This can be a symptom of Anxiety. If you get these feelings for no reason (without physical exertion), you might be dealing with symptoms of Anxiety. Check out the Anxiety and panic attack self help guides if you are confused. And if you need to talk, just know that listeners are always here.
therapistnlistener
It depends on the feeling, is it a health problem? If so seek medical help urgently. If it's an expression of what you are feeling, well you need to learn to control your anxiety.
Anonymous
Its not really normal but it could be a sign of anxiety or of a panic attack, pay attention to other things going on with your body at the same time and talk to your doctor or therapist about it for sure!
Anonymous
At the first pace you must find out the cause and reason for your anxiety then find the possible solutions to deal with the situation
KatieTheKrusher
While it is normal to feel like this if you're having an anxiety attack or just perform a lot of physical movement, I would suggest taking a seat for a moment and breathing deeply to calm your heart rate.
HelpingStarlight
It sounds to me like you're talking about having a 'racing heart', which can be caused by having a panic attack or possibly an anxiety attack. I'd recommend contacting your doctor, they can refer you to get a diagnosis if needed.
Dawn04
Short answer, no. It could be a sign of any number of things and if you are having an abnormal increased heart rate and/or chest pain, then you really should see a doctor or get to a hospital as soon as possible just to rule out a heart attack or any heart issue. It is possible the feeling is coming just from stress or anxiety as well and it's something else you should look into and talk over with your doctor. If it ends up just being stress or anxiety, then it's probably time to work on trying to cut back or eliminate some things in your life causing the issue.