Is it normal to suddenly become very self aware when someone compliments your appearance?

Christina Hussami, MSW, LCSW

Strengths-based, solution-focused therapist focusing on helping clients find life balance and navigating down their own path leading towards overall well-being.

c1ov3rda1e
Yes, because by them drawing attention to a good part of your appearance you brings along awareness of EVERY part of your appearance. Therefore, you become hyper aware of the things you personally don't like about yourself.
zaix
It is, because sometimes we don't really notice our features and how we look and what we are like until someone points it out for us.
CoffeeTeaAndHonesty
I think it's a natural response; it makes sense that our first thought might be 'what about X made them think I look good?' which would naturally cause one to become more self aware in moments such as these.
LilyFlowers
May 3rd, 2015 5:42am
Yes it is normal. They are bringing your attention to how you look. There's nothing else I can say on this.
Clissyy
Of course! For the most part of our day, we tend to just go with the flow and think more about what's happening in front of our eyes with what we can see versus what we can't, such as our physical appearance. Once someone compliments us, we're suddenly reminded of the fact that 'hey! I'm actually a human being!', which then leads to you imagining what you currently look like, which then leads to self-conciousness.
That is normal yes, when someone talks about you in anyway you will become more self aware this is because that is how your brain functions.
Anonymous
Absolutely! I'd become very self-aware, and wonder what caused them to give me attention, and try to change it, usually quickly. I've had enough attention. It usually just causes me to feel fear. It's not ideal, perhaps. I'm trying to change that.
Falworth
Well, it's certainly not abnormal. I can only speak for myself, but when you hear something- you think about it. It's simple and reflexive. However, anything in extreme amounts should be approached with caution. So if you're extremely self-aware, perhaps you should examine or look for the cause why?
CopperSkies
Yes it is normal. I think most people suddenly become hyper-aware of their appearance if somebody were to compliment them. It's a natural reaction.
Anonymous
When someone compliments on your appearance the focus of the conversation suddely lies on you so i think it's totally normal.
Anonymous
Definitely. Something you were not aware of is made known when someone compliments you and suddenly you're thinking about it. That's a perfectly normal reaction.
amazingMusic21
I think so. I think we tend to forget to remind ourselves that we are beautiful, so when someone else does it, it bring us back into focus and a viewpoint of self love.
politeTree46
Yes definitely! The compliment brings our attention to the detail/details they complimented us on and we can become hyper aware! It’s completely normal
Anonymous
It is normal to become self aware when you get a complement, it happens all the time. You just have to remember, that at the end of the day, you're perfect in your own way.