What are the main symptoms of panic attacks?

Amelia Winsby, PsyD

I often work with clients who experience a wide range of emotions and difficulties. I am non-judgmental and enjoy working with individuals from all walks of life.

electricSun99
Sweaty palms and face, Tingling sensation in the face and hands, Difficulties in catching breath, Tightening and pains in the chest, Dizziness and feeling light-headed.
SafePanda3
Shortness of breath, nervousness, tight chest and feeling of doom, chest pain,lack of sleep and numbness
Anonymous
Panic attacks are something that happens fairly often, where one moment you are fine, and the next minute you are scared and nervous about some of the strangest things.
SpookyBlue
Each person is different and so the symptoms of a panic attack can vary. However, they usually are all from this same list of symptoms: fast, shallow breathing (hyperventilation), lightheadedness, dizziness, feeling that you are going to faint, go crazy, or die, feeling hot, sweating, numbness and tingling in your face or extremities, pain in your arm or chest, feeling as if you are in a dream, nausea, being unable to speak, and more.
Anonymous
January 2nd, 2016 5:55am
Symptoms of a panic attack can include shivering/shaking, extreme fear, rapid breathing and heart rate, restlessness, nausea, urge to use the bathroom, muscle tension, crying, and a very mild fever. In my experience, the most common symptoms are the first three.
aaron182
Fast heart rate, dizziness, feeling sick, shaking, heavy breathing, stomach cramps, sense of terror, feeling like you're going to die.
Anonymous
Shortness of breath or hyperventilation. Heart palpitations or a racing heart. Chest pain or discomfort. Trembling or shaking. Choking feeling. Feeling unreal or detached from your surroundings. Sweating. Nausea or upset stomach.
compassionateCat90
Symptoms honestly will vary person to person. It depends mainly on the individual. But common main symptoms that occur most often can include shaky hands, anxiousness, getting dizzy, sweating, nausea, lack of emotional control, and pain in certain areas. Sometimes it can feel almost like you're having a heart attack
ChaiTeaLatte138
The symptoms of a panic attack are depersonalization, flushing and/or chills, sweating, trembling/shaking, racing heart, tightness in the chest, trouble breathing, numbness in the fingers/extremities, dry mouth, stomach cramping, diarrhea. I would vomit and feel overwhelming fear as well during panic attacks.
Anonymous
Shortness of breath, shaking, and the feeling/thinking that you're going to die.
HaleyM
Pounding heart Sweatiness Trembling (psychomotor tremors) Shortness of breath Sensation of choking Chest pain Nausea Dizziness Depersonalization Feeling "out of control" Feeling like "I'm going to die" Tingling or numbness Chills or hot flashes
ArcticArabella
Some of the symptoms are quickening breath, chest pains, shakiness, and nervousness for pretty much no reason. I have panic attacks quite often and these are some of the things that I experience.
SophieJay1496
To me, the main symptoms of panic attacks are the increased breathing, the sweaty palms, the excruciating weight on the chest with the breathlessness. Pure terror overtakes my body and sometimes I am rigid to the spot in ice cold fear, and other times I have to pace, sweating profusely. Headaches and nausea are often a regular appearance in panic attacks with me, and in the worst cases I am violently sick.
MxPrime2
In my case, it obviously starts with anxiety. I start being anxious about specific things, and then my mind identifies all these things that don't seem to be working out for me, until it creates a moutain so high I can't see the top. I feel the pressure building on my chest, and it gets hard to breathe. Some people can control it by breathing and telling themselves everything will be okay, but sometimes the anxiety takes over and makes you hyperventilate.
VinylFly
It varies from person to person. Some may experience mental symptoms such as racing thoughts, a feeling of impending doom, claustrophobia, etc. Physical symptoms such as an elevated heart rate, dizziness, sweating, tingling in the hands and feet, and nausea and vomiting can also be common.
SereneDancer21
Oh my...rapid pulse, heart thumping in your chest to the point that you think you are having a heart attack, you gulp for air and you are unable to move.
Anonymous
Panic attacks can be different for different people, and they might also have slightly different symptoms depending on what has caused it and how you attempt to deal with it. However, some symptoms are the same in most cases, and some of these include: - Shortness of breath and struggling to breathe. - Dizziness or nausea. - Pain in the chest, feeling like something is pushing against it. - Feeling as if something is pushing against your neck, causing you to choke. - Fear that you are going crazy or may be about to die. - Feeling that you have lost all control. - Increased heart rate.
PastelRhian
Shortness or excess of breath, shaking, dizziness, blurred vision, dull hearing, inability to move, migraines and cramps, sweating.
Anonymous
Feeling dizzy, shaking and heart pump including stomach turn.. At time fainting
Anonymous
Symptoms vary from person to person. Usually, it feels like your heart speeds up, and that you might feel like you’re going to pass out. Again, it varies from person to person.
Caitlyn7COT
The main symptoms are "racing" heart, feeling weak, faint, or dizzy, tingling or numbness in the hands and fingers, sense of terror, or impending doom or death.
Anonymous
This site is easy to follow and states all the emotional and physical symptoms of a panic attack http://goo.gl/gvUnoG
awesomeCandy47
In my experience of panic attacks - there are main symptoms of panic attacks. For example I am having a really bad day I can feel myself shaking and getting worked up into an attack. But sometimes I could be happily lying in bed when all of a sudden I have a panic attack. Panic attacks are sometimes hard to predict but it is all about keeping yourself in control. If I know I am about to experience a panic attack - I learn to calm my thoughts, make my mind go blank and breathe normally. Or I have went to get assistance from family or my boyfriend - they help me calm down and breathe again. However, listening to other peoples experiences gives me more knowledge about panic attacks and how to assist people dealing with them.
softNutella25
Main symptoms of panic attacks are difficult breathing, dizziness, lightheadedness, weak legs, feeling of impending doom, fear of death, nausea, and many more. There are over 100 symptoms of anxiety that can manifest in many physical ways, and panic attacks are specific to the person meaning you may feel all of the above symptoms, or just a few.
victoriousWings82
If you start to have a panic attack your breath will quicken you will feel trapped your senses will be numb or very sensitive your heart rate will speed up and you might start to feel sick to your stomach
Nakuu
Your heart starts to race, you begin to excessively sweat and possibly will get dizzy. Nausea is also a part of this.
Anonymous
Whenever I have a panic attack, it always starts with shaking. My hands start shaking and then the rest of my body follows suit. And if nothing calms me down, it starts getting harder and harder to breathe, until suddenly, I'm crying or getting sick to my stomach. It feels almost like a heart attack.
becauseimhere
A full-blown panic attack includes a combination of the following signs and symptoms: Shortness of breath or hyperventilation. Heart palpitations or a racing heart. Chest pain or discomfort. Trembling or shaking. Choking feeling. Feeling unreal or detached from your surroundings. Sweating. Nausea or upset stomach.
Kenzielynn
Some of the symptoms I/or someone else I know have experienced are a racing heart rate, hyperventilating and hands and feet go tingly.
Bobcott
December 22nd, 2015 3:54am
When I experienced my panic attack, I had dizziness, heart palpitation, fatigue and rapid breathing. Although I've never experienced a heart attack, I think it feels similar to one.