What can be done to limit the amount of panic attacks one has?

Jamie Sclafani , LMSW

I have an holistic approach to therapy. There is definitely not a "one size fits all" solution. Each person is unique, as is their situation.

Mirai
I suffer from panic attacks myself and made the experience that surviving them helps you to gain confident. That sounds unbearable and it might be a long way, but the more you bring yourself in situations you consider uncomfortable, the more you are going to gain your self-confidence back. If it seems to be too hard for you at the moment, try to surround yourself with people you love and bring yourself into situations that trigger your panic. Don't let panic attacks ruin your life, friends.
daniellebee
Find things that calm you down and do those things when you begin to feel a panic attack coming on.
LilyFlowers
May 3rd, 2015 5:34am
Do you mean reduce the amount of panic attacks? and or the duration? For me I know more than anything, awareness and understanding about panic attacks in general has helped a lot. With the addition of saying "I'm having a panic attack right now" When having one, if you can be that self-aware. I struggle with being self-aware personally D: For me my best way of fighting my panic disorder is to work and heal my inner trauma and fears. Healing the core and roots will reduce and someday eliminate the attacks.
Brittany96
When you get a negative thought that could lead to a panic attack, you can revert your thoughts to something more positive. If you're in a situation that could cause a panic attack, you can try to distract yourself with relaxing imagery (example: daydreaming about a relaxing vacation.). You can also distract yourself using hobbies and interests that you enjoy. For an example, reading a book or watching tv may help decrease panic attacks for some people. You can also try deep breathing exercises and positive self-talk exercises. If you can not cope with your panic attacks, anti-anxiety medication may help. In either case, seeing a professional is probably a good idea.
ToxicYouth
If you feel you are about to experience a panic attack, I've found that controlling your breathing helps, also, clenching your fists for a few seconds then releasing, it's almost like it releases your fists aswell as your anxiety.
Anonymous
take deep breaths and focus on things that make you happy. try to not put yourself in situations that make you nervous or upset.
laura4060
Recognize what triggers your panic attacks, and then attempt to limit your interaction with those triggers.
Anonymous
November 1st, 2014 7:23pm
Here is what has helped me limit the number of panic attacks I have: weekly therapy, medication to reduce my anxiety/depression symptoms, identifying support resources (people I can talk to, behaviors that help reduce panic, specific "safe" places), increasing my awareness of typical triggers for my panic attacks. With these different things, I now am much more likely to have periods of heightened anxiety vs. full-blown panic attacks. I'm more able to function in daily life. I hope this helps someone else in their own struggle with panic attacks.
louise95
November 1st, 2014 10:09pm
Very deep breathing. In for 8 seconds, hold for 4, breath out for 8 and then repeat until you feel calm. Try grounding yourself, feeling things with nice textures, going for a walk, splashing your face with cold water.
Anonymous
November 2nd, 2014 6:06am
The best thing that works for me is trying to identify what is causing the attack, and avoiding that certain thing.
Valuta
I personally have the best success avoiding panic by recognizing my triggers, knowing what sets me off is a great help to avoiding, handling or marginalizing the effects of being triggered. In my case being cornered can trigger me, as a result I tend to stay in more open spaces and break off discussions that get too heated.
Anonymous
Recognize the onset of symptoms early and before the attack begins. Then begin to breath slowly and deeply. Also, immediately take a brisk walk or do some other type of movement or exercise if possible.
msltoe
SSRIs, while they do have their side effects, can be effective for some people in alleviating panic attacks altogether. For example, while I still worry from time to time, it never barrels out of control as long I'm taking SSRIs.
Drummaboi
Deep breathing is my saving grace when it comes to the realization that I'm having a panic attack. Realizing what is happening and why it may be happening are key to controlling your emotions and breathing in a time when they seem out of control.
Savana13
Use grounding techniques to calm yourself, deep breaths, don't avoid the situations that cause anxiety because avoiding it makes it worse.
bunniesgomoo
I found that daily meditation and practicing deep breathing has really helped reduce the amount of panic attacks I have. This is because I'm in a better state of mind throughout the day and find myself to be less anxious; the less anxious I am, the less panic attacks I experience :)
CherishedKatie
I'm sorry to hear that you're having panic attacks. I suffered with panic attacks for some time when I was younger. I can promise that it gets better, you will find a way to overcome them that works for you. The 7 Cups of Tea guide to anxiety is incredibly helpful https://www.7cups.com/panic-attacks-help-online/. Try that out and then if you still feel like to need some more support try talking to a listener. Stay strong, things will get better
SoftBlanket40
I'll say what does work for me: - Avoiding situations that we suspect may trigger the panic attacks, - Meditation, and self-awareness, - Learning not to be scared by all the symptoms that come with the attack, as they can be really scary, - Learning to manage it on our own, and learning the breathing techniques that can really help calm one down, - Finding support, as support can be what we most need during or after the attack.
LittleLantern
Find someone that makes you feel safe. Wear something comfortable and try to avoid what stresses you. If it´s really bad you want to consider getting an ESA(emotional support animal)
admirableEndfoftherainbow84
Stay by the people that keep you calm, and happy, or the people that care about you the most. If they see that you are having a panic attack, they can try to help you through it.
neverendingNight54
Talking to people helps a lot. Getting it off your chest and telling others is a great way to limit the amount of panic attacks one might have.
claud14
Not thinking about having a panic attack helps. And when feeling stressed stopping whatever you're doing and breathe. That will help
LexJPT
When you feel one coming up, distract yourself by doing something you love doing, if that doesn't help, talk to someone instead of letting it boil up.