What is the best way to prevent a panic attack if you know you're going to have one?

Lindsay Scheinerman, MA, LPC

My work with clients is to help them recognize and build on their strengths to find solutions for the conflicts presented in their lives.

Happy2help4u
I know everyone is different but when I used to suffer with panic attack I found ice cold water helped me. I was told it shocks the body into calming down. I'm not sure if that is true but it worked for me. I had a supply of ice cold bottled water all the time and use it as a comfort blanket when I went out. I truly believe just having it with me helped me feel less anxious as I felt I could control it if needed
LimitedEdition
I try to control my breathing. Breath in, Breath out. Breath in, Breath out. That's all I tell myself and some days it least for 5 minutes before it works but that's only when they are really bad. I do feel my heart slow down and my mind slowly clear. It also helps with my anxiety.
ashalotus
Use relaxation techniques like breathing to relieve stress. Also use AWARE. Acknowledge & Accept Wait & Watch (and maybe, Work) Actions (to make myself more comfortable) Repeat End
ghostPastry
Start your coping mechanisms early! Remove yourself from the situation that's making you panicky and distract yourself-- deep breaths, drinking water, stimming. Basically, act as if you're already having a panic attack.
Anonymous
When I think I am going to have a panic attack, I remove myself from the situation that is stressing me out. This works best for me in environments where others know about my struggles with anxiety because they can also help me calm down before things get too hard to handle.
calmPeace92
When I know I'm going to have a panic attack, I put myself in a room that is quiet, usually dark, where I feel calm. I like to put the fan on, as the noise helps to distract me from my thoughts. I take multiple deep, slow breaths, and close my eyes. It really helps to be in a place where you feel most comfortable!
jammiedodger153
if you can, remove yourself from the situation that's causing you to feel like you're going to have one. If possible, have someone youre extremely comfortable with that can help calm you down, if that helps you. (I have my boyfriend by my side to help me calm down and usually wipe away the tears that have formed.).Then take deep breaths using a breathing exercise (like breathe in for 5 seconds, out for 10) as this helps to keep your breathing regulated. Also having a glass of ice cold water helped me. Also close your eyes and think of other things to try and distract yourself from your thoughts.
Savana13
In my experience, racing heart, difficulty breathing, racing thoughts, dry mouth, sweaty and tingly hands and tingly lips are all key signs but those may not be present in each person or in each individual attack.
Anonymous
The best way to prevent a panic attack is to remind yourself that whatever happens, everything will be alright. If you are able to, remove yourself from the situation and find a place where you feel safe and comfortable. Take deep breaths and focus on your breathing. You will get through it!
OCDLena
You can't prevent a panic attack, you just have to accept that it may happen and know that you are prepared to deal with it when it does. Trying to prevent it will only make it worse.
brightBreeze40
Distract yourself. It's easier to pull yourself out of the panicky mindset if you get lost in an action or thought. Talk to someone that helps you calm down.
Anonymous
Try and breathe and relax as best you can think about what makes you feel calm and safe and ease into situation
JamesSupport1995
Ground yourself, 5 things you can see, 4 things you can hear 3 things you can smell, 2 things you can feel and 1 thing you can taste
Anonymous
For me, If I feel like i'm going to have one, I start breathing exercises right away, it can often prevent a panic attack from happening, For me, inhaling for 10 seconds and then exhaling for 10 seconds really can keep from having an attack. Also, on youtube there are many relaxing sounds to prevent one from happening. Just be sure to be dedicated to getting rid of it :)
calmArrow53
January 3rd, 2017 12:39am
The first thing to do is to control your breathing. If you are starting to feel uneasy, take a deep breath in through your nose for seven seconds. Hold that breath for four seconds, and release that breath through your mouth for seven sounds. Repeat this for as long as needed. Another way is to distract yourself - whether that be chewing something, watching a funny video, or having a good talk with somebody. These are just a few ways you can prevent them.
Anonymous
Try to distract yourself. We all know that we can bring on our panic attacks, I have done it. It's easy to say "Don't think about it" but we all know that just makes us focus on it more. A silly trick I use when I'm driving and feel one coming on is to give myself a semi-challenging match problem..... randomly pick two large number and try to subtract one from the other. It takes my attention off my panic long enough to get my heart rate and breathing back to a normal rate and snaps me out of the panic I was starting to slip into. Or I've heard some people pinch themselves as the pain distracts them long enough to avert the focus.
BalancedRocks
If you believe you are going to start a panic attack, the first step is to start breathing. The next step would be to try to remove yourself from your current surroundings. (Ex. if you are in a classroom, ask to go to the bathroom or the nurse.) If you are in a work setting, try going outside for a quick break. After that, if you still feel bad, think of calming things or walk around a bit. Try to slow your breathing, thinking, walking speed, etc. After that you should be good. If not, repeat the steps or find a friend to help you,
ThePsalmist
I suggest that you do some "grounding". That is to be fully aware of your emotions and environment. Hold on to something or someone. Do some pep talk with yourself or with a person. Inhale and exhale. "This is just momentarily. You know how to get through this."