Why do I get scared about being in a relationship?

Brenda King, PsyD

I treat life changes, women’s issues, and issues of aging using evidence-based treatments with healthy doses of warmth, empathy and humor to enhance healing and growth.

Anonymous
Due to past experiences, due to rejection, due to it hurts to be hurt again, due to you can't control your emotions from past experience, due to you are scared being in a relationship, due to you don't things to be repeated again and again, you don't want to harm yourself, due to you just want your life back and be normal and be yourself where you feel your freedom will be in bird cage and you wont able to live yourself ...!!!
blissfulMango45
Being in a relationship is hard so it is perfectly normal if you feel scared, its only because you love the person you are going in a relationship with and therefore don't want to hurt them! Its okay to feel scared and you don't have to be in or do anything you don't feel comfortable with, best wishes :)
Anonymous
Maybe you have attachment issues? I know for the longest time that was my problem, I was scared about loosing the person, getting hurt, and them not being the one.
TheFaultInOurStars
Relationships can be scary because it's making yourself totally vulnerable to another person. You're opening yourself up and that always leaves a possibility to be hurt. But the positive side is that you're also opening up to one of the greatest experiences of life, which is always a risk worth taking.
KingNagaTheGreat
April 2nd, 2016 7:51am
it is sometimes normal to feel uncertain about entering a relationship. However, it can have something to do with your own attachment pattern that is developed since infancy and early childhood. For more, please read about the concept of Attachment types.
Anonymous
It's normal thing to be scared to be in a relationship. People always have this thing in their mind that something bad might happen when they'll be in a relationship, but it not always does.
CarinaNicole
A lot of the time, we feel like our relationship is consuming us. Sometimes we let our feelings get the best of us and the idea of being "restricted" by a relationship tends to become scary. It's all about wanting control over ourselves, and a relationship can make you feel like you don't have all of the control. It's perfectly normal and if you do have a partner, can be talked through often. Your concerns are perfectly fine and is all in human nature.
Kristen1993
I'm quiet and shy and really opening up to someone can be intimidating. I'm not completely comfortable with my emotions so I often try to focus on the other person. I guess I'd be scared that the person I was dating would think that I'm not interested, but it takes a while for me to come out of my shell
electricSheep
You could be aromantic. Not to be confused with asexuality, aromanticism is where an individual doesn't experience romantic attraction. They can still feel sexual attraction, or they could be both aromantic and asexual. Like asexuality, aromanticism comes in shades: demiromantic, where you only experience romantic attraction after a close bond is formed, and gray-aromantic, where you rarely experience romantic attraction. There are many other shades, but those are the main two. I hope this helped!
wonderfulIcicle35
Because you may feel vulnerable, letting someone new into yAllowing another to learn your secrets, our world/private space. It can also be scary to let go of you, be seen as you truly are.
itsnotover
you could be scared of being cheated on which I can say is a horrible thing to go through from past experience or you could be scared of commitment
EverlastingLove96
The scary parts of relationships is that you don't know if you are going to get hurt. You don't know when it will end if it does end or how it will end. There are too many questions. The unknown is hard but it something that you just have to try and come to terms with.
cherishedJet13
Relationship are stressful. They can put a lot of strain on us sometimes. Making us fear complications that could arise from the relationship, making you scared.
beautifulCandy40
If you have been a bad relationship before then you need to tell yourself that not everyone is the same.
patientHeart75
I have been hurt a lot. My trust in relationships is very low. I have to work on self love and my own trust first. I feel like my radar is just way off when it comes to healthy people!
Goosette007
It is a big big step. Relationships are often built on trust. Trust is something that is earnt and can be hard to give or have. You trust the other person not to hurt you and therefore are scared in case they do.
beautifulFaith33
You are afraid of being in a relationship because you have had your heart broken several times before
Anonymous
Most people are scared of commitment and heartbreak. These might be the reasons you're scared to get into a relationship.
Ananiya
Because I'm probably scared of getting hurt or I'm scared that I'm not ready for this and I might hurt the other person. I might even not be able to make a good future.
ameliaglazner
You could quite possibly be scared to get attached to someone because of the fear of losing them.m
Ferrousmaiden117
It's perfectly normal to become nervous to be in a new relationship. It makes you feel vulnerable in so many different ways. You wonder if you'll meet their expectations, or if they will even meet yours. The key is trying to be open to new experiences. Relationships can be incredibly rewarding and are always a learning experience.
Anonymous
This is a tough question, the best answer I can think of is that you don't know what you want out of life yet. Figure out what kinda person you want to be with and what you want your futur to look like first.
Rene2000
Any previous abuse in a relationship, family or dating, can cause a very strong fear of being in a future relationship.
Anonymous
Because it is something new. It can take a lot of time and effort which can be scary. But very rewarding!
Helpyouhi
Maybe because you are afraid that it could not work or maybe because you don’t trust people easily so you always think that they will hurt you at the end. Anyway honey look they are good and bad people around us but we have to figure out who is good and who is bad. It’s very important. When you find the right person, gradually your fears will disappear. Don’t push it or anything and don’t think of it as it’s a scary thing and start to be pessimistic. Not all the relationships succeed and not all of them fail so it really depends. Good luck.
HopeWanderer1221
I have had 3 relationship experiences and I have been afraid of all of them just because I never thought I would ever be able to be my true self around them. I thought I was super weird, gross and a bad type of unique. Like why would anyone love me and be in a relationship with me? I would start having a crush, become friends and eventually they supposedly liked me back, they either really did or they didn't and most of the time, I couldn't see the truth behind what they told me just because my anxiety always told me I would never be good enough for anybody to actually be in love with.