Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What is the quickest way to get a medical practitioner to realize that something is wrong with your child and to check?

9 Answers
Last Updated: 05/28/2018 at 10:21pm
1 Tip to Feel Better
United States
Moderated by

Amanda Wiginton, LMFT

Marriage & Family Therapist

Now is the time to make a change! Professional, empathic, and compassionate therapist waiting to help you make healthy life changes.

Top Rated Answers
January 17th, 2015 2:08am
It is important to advocate for your child. If you think something is wrong, then insist that the practitioner checks it out. Continue to insist until you get results. You are your child's best advocate, you know them best, and you know when something isn't right.
February 5th, 2015 11:37pm
Voice your concerns. Often doctors won't check for certain things unless you give them some sort of reason to.
February 14th, 2015 11:40am
It is often difficult to go to the GP and tell them exactly what s worrying you because there is often a time limit on how long you are in there. It can feel rushed and often in my experience I haven't been able to communicate everything in the 10 minute appointment. I would advise you to go in prepared with notes so that you can give specific examples of symptoms and why they concern you. If you feel that you aren't being taken seriously at this point, you can always ask to speak to a different doctor for a second opinion. Often the child cannot verbalise how they feel, so it will be down to you to talk about behaviour you have noticed and to help you child communicate by asking more appropriate questions which you know they will understand.
March 8th, 2015 2:33pm
Express your concern, ask for a general check up to make sure nothings out of the ordinary too
June 16th, 2015 4:34pm
Say, their is something wrong with your child, you should get him checked. Unlike prayer It work all the time.
September 9th, 2015 1:23pm
Your medical practitioner is working for you. Insist that your concerns are addressed. If they are not, it is time to find someone else.
December 11th, 2015 3:49am
tell them. explain what you think is going on, and that you want to have your child tested or whatever it is they can do to help you figure out what is wrong.
December 20th, 2016 7:12pm
This is a very delicate topic. Some parents make a big deal about it to get a health professional to listen, but going overboard can harm the child. If you see strange or abnormal behavior make a list and consult whether the practices are normal, dangerous, just part of the stage or require medical attention.
May 28th, 2018 10:21pm
Be clear and firm in your conversion. Don't accept vague answers with no explanation. Demand to see another doctor if you are not satisfied.