Why does my mom yell for nothing?

Andrea McDonald, MSW, LICSW

It is important to know that you are not alone, life can be difficult I am here to help you navigate and resolve issues that can feel overwhelming.

magicalrose22
Most likely she is feeling alot of anger and emotional pain within herself. This has nothing to do with you but her own internal personal issues. When she gets irritated by small things and yells its just because she is overflowing with her own emotions and this is her automatic way of releasing it. She may not even mean to yell it just comes out that way. Please remember that it is her own frustrations and has nothing to do with you. If she yells at you for whatever reason you must know that it is not your fault. My mum uses to yell at me so much for not closing my cupboard door in my room. When I look back at it now I realise it wasn't about the cupboard door it was just a trigger for her to release some of her pain she was holding onto as she was not releasing it in other healthier more productive ways as she didn't know how.
RebekahRebel
There are many reasons why she may be yelling. She could be stressed out; stress can unfortunately cause us to lash out to those we care about. There's also the possibility that she feels unhappy or upset, and as a result she releases this by shouting. Or, she could genuinely have believed that something happened that warranted certain behaviour. If you're still unsure, it could perhaps be a good idea to delicately ask her why she reacts in certain ways. Sometimes, we never know why another person acts the way they do unless we ask. However, she may explain her actions at some point without you asking.