Why won’t my daughter express her feelings?

Graham Barrone, Adip ICHP, MCBT

If you've found that your quality of life has reduced because of anxiety, fear or some kind of mental hurdle that you just can't get over then lets chat.

Anonymous
Hi, so I am 20 and I know the struggle, my parents keep telling me, "I must talk about how I feel", or often get frustrated with me because they never know how I feel. It is not that I don't want to express it, I just can't, I think some of us sometimes need someone that will come to sit with us and talk to us very calmly and if we do express and say how we feel, it will really help if they show us that we did a great job. By showing that I'm sure it will become easier. Other days I literally feel scared because of someone telling me, "that I'm childish for crying when someone fight with me" I mean this for a child can really make them that they don't want to cry because "I'm not mature enough then" Sometimes a long the way children/teens get hurt and they don't always want to talk about it... Hope it helps :)
Not everyone feels at ease with expressing feelings. Not everyone feels safe to express feelings at any time to any person. Feelings are delicate.
Anonymous
I wouldn't express my feelings because I have problems conveying them and people misread what I'm trying to say through my words and body language. This would call me to withdraw from expressing myself. Another reason why I wouldn't express my feelings would be because I was embarrassed to talk about them or I was concerned that I would become angry either from the embarrassment or the response I would receive. Something my mum tried with me when I was young was to write out how I was feeling in a daily log book. I would get a sticker for every day I followed through.