Don't only soldiers returning from combat have PTSD?

Zeina Ghoul, LLPC

I help guide clients to create positive change in a non-judgmental and supportive atmosphere.

Anonymous
No. I saw my older brother with a noose around his neck and had to cut him out, when I was 13. I have PTSD. PTSD doesn't only effect soldiers anyone who has been through a traumatic experience can get PTSD.
RheanaHazel
Not at all. PTSD stands for post traumatic stress disorder, meaning it can occur after any sort of trauma. This does not only include combat, but maybe abuse, a car accident, anything. It can cause flashbacks, nightmares, and painful or stressful memories. Yes it is very commonly seen in soldiers, but that is for sure not the only cases :)
sillyseraph002
that is a very common misconception. ptsd was most commonly and most overwhelmingly common to, soldiers returning from combat, but that's not the only possible cause. car accidents are a good example. they happen every day, and can cause ptsd
Anonymous
Nope! You don’t have to be in the service to have PTSD, say you had a traumatic experience and it left you feeling very on edge when you hear or talk about it. Many people of all walks of live can suffer from PTSD, it can also be due of having a mental ailment as well or for example a car crash that’s a PTSD example, like you’ll be always on edge when driving or being in a car, it can be all sorts of things that one can suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Discover. It’s anyone really that can have it.