How Can I Determine if I Have PTSD without a Professional?

Terri McDermott, LCSW

If you are struggling with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, I'll partner with you to improve your mood and your life in a nonjudgmental and supportive way.

KristenHR - Expert in PTSD/Trauma
The VA has a great program called the National Center for PTSD. You may find this page helpful: https://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/assessment/index.asp That said, if it seems you have symptoms of PTSD based on their information, it would be advantageous to seek counsel for it. Having had PTSD and needing help with it, it has made a big difference in my life to have that support and education.
Anonymous
Self-diagnosing, also called self-dx, is often a bad idea and may mislead your thinking as you don't get an outside opinion. If you suspect you have a disorder, it's advised to seek some sort of help, preferably professional.
calmZebra60
It isn't safe to self-diagnose yourself with PTSD. However, I would reccomend you take an M3 test and bring the results to a psychiatrist. WHen this is done, tehy will ask you a series of questions that will lead to a speedy determination.
Anonymous
There are numerous symptoms of PTSD. These include general anxiety, increased startle, triggers to conditioned stimuli that are associated with the event, avoiding areas associated with the event, depression etc... To be diagnosed with PTSD a professional therapist would diagnose this disorder using the DSM. For example, if a veteran had returned from a war, loud sounds could cause increased startle such as a car back firing could remind them of a war zone. Sights, smells, noises that are associated with the traumatic event could trigger a response in the individual. If you suspect you have PTSD, a professional therapist in cognitive behavioural therapy could help.