How do I identify a trigger?

How do I identify a trigger?

Jennifer Geib, LCSWR

1:1 daily live chat. - My therapy is non-judgmental and focuses on emotions and motivation to accomplish your goals or overcome your struggles.

CreativeJill79
A trigger is something that feels reminiscent or similar to a painful memory or experience from your past. It can feel like something other people don't react to, but for you may cause an emotional response, like sadness, shame, or guilt.
ashtonStrawberry
A trigger is going to cause some sort of negative reaction. To find it, look for the common factors that occur when you have an episode of negative emotions
Lovely6
February 2nd, 2018 5:51am
I identify triggers by being mindful of emotions that arise in particular situations. I manage my reactions by taking a step back when becoming involved in a triggering scenario.
Anonymous
Everyone has different triggers and even different reactions for different triggers. Usually they are repetitive themes in your life stories that your mind has connected with a negative emotion. It could be an action, a object, food or drink, a distinct smell, a particular fabric, sound like raise voice or song, could be a person, a place, a city or town or in a particular time. Common ones are raised voices, angry voices, raised hand. Though everyone has one or two that maybe seem to "strange" to those that do not have triggers, they are equally valid. Some triggers are complex and involve many components to actually trigger something. Example, maybe the cold is fine, but the cold and dark are not. Keep a record of you triggers as to not create undue stress on yourself. Remember every trigger is valid and it is okay to handle them by removing yourself from the situation.
CaringCat94
A trigger is anything that stirs up memories or feelings to create an emotional response to something in the present. It can be anything from a word or behaviour to a smell or sound.
Anonymous
If you are faced with a situation where you are being faced with something that brings on negative experiences/emotions, it is possible that this can be identified as a trigger
sillyseraph002
you can identify triggers as anything that is unduly upsetting to you. it can be a person, a place, a sound, a thing, a type of situation, a certain set of words, even. usually, triggers are specific, and usually set off a pretty serious wave of emotions and panic. if you feel like your triggers are just "everything", talk to your therapist. They can help you narrow it down, or possibly find that you have a depressive or panic disorder.
Vivian4
Trigger is moment of enormous emotional and physical response to situations what are perceived from outside as normal. Usually anger is the best how to see trigger =)
Anonymous
Identifying a trigger can be a morality conflict. Sometimes our triggers are environmental and sometimes they can be interpersonal. In my experience, Identifying my triggers starts with being fully capable of being honest with my self and keeping honest engagements in my daily life.
UntilThen
A trigger is something which immediately causes significant distress, and usually requires that you take a few minutes to calm down. It's often is related to some sort of traumatic event. This can be anything from assault, to grief, to a move. The best way I've found to identify a trigger, is to reflect on why you got upset/scared after you have those intense negative emotions. If you notice that those intense emotions usually follow a stimulus that wouldn't upset the average person, that may be a trigger.
Rellen2013
Triggers are anything of texture, sound, words, or objects that cues the mind to a trauma or an event in the past. It can be a long tedious process of figuring out what may be the trigger but the best thing to do is to journal and write down the surrounding events that occurred just before your reaction began to occur
Anonymous
When you begin feeling depressed see what happened right before you felt that way. What thought went through your head or what event occurred. Same with anxiety, etc.
Anonymous
August 22nd, 2018 5:43pm
Sometimes it can be very hard identifying what triggers you, but usually whatever it is causes a big reaction, whether it's you shutting down, having a meltdown or a panic attack (at least that's from my experience). Usually, for me at least, when I get triggered, depending on how bad it is, I shut down, become non-verbal, and start hyperventilating and having a panic attack. It's different for everyone, but usually whatever the event was right before this sort of thing happens could point you in the right direction as to what might have caused you to become triggered.
Oceanluver101
sometimes it can happen so many times you just know. maybe you feel not ok or not right, you feel your in the wrong place at the wrrong time.Someone rejecting you. Someone leaving you (or the threat that they will). Helplessness over painful situations. Someone discounting or ignoring you. Someone being unavailable to you. Someone giving you a disapproving look. Someone blaming or shaming you. Someone being judgmental or critical of you. Someone being too busy to make time for you. Someone not appearing to be happy to see you. Someone coming on to you sexually in a needy ut, I was unable or unconscious of how to get out of this pattern of behavior
Kelleyd83
Feel your body. Are you feeling anxious? Overwhelmed? Paranoid? Excited? An easy way to get into the body is to feel your breath. What's it doing? Is it moving fast or slow? Once you've identified that you are indeed triggered, try to figure out what's causing it? The man over there, the woman in the corner? Maybe it's just a general sort of fear. The best thing to counter this fear is to just be present. Start to look around the room. What do you notice? The shade of the sun, the way the wood makes patterns on your table, and just try your best to remember that you are here. You are right where you need to be. You are a human on this Earth and no one deserves to be here more or less than you.
Lewie2018
First you need to understand what a trigger is and the impact it has on an individual/a trigger is anything that causes a reaction in an individual/a trigger can be positive as well as negative/but for now we'll focus on the ones that cause a negative reaction or an episode/these being hair pulling/nail biting/cheek biting or any number of destructive behaviors/one way to identify a trigger is to keep a journal and keep a log of any episodes ans what event or incident occurred prior to the episode/so after a while a person gets to know what situations trigger these episodes and can avoid them in the future/Hopefully because it's only works if the individual keeps the journal/
socialsupportworker27
January 23rd, 2019 11:40am
One way to identify a trigger is by behavior. Did you react with negative behavior when something triggered you? Or did you react with positive behavior? Behaviors and emotions can let us know what we do and do not like about a situation or experience. It can also cause us to be risky and relapse to a prior habit or thought. Some people understand it as common sense not to engage in risky behaviors and some people learn from experiences in their past. Learning to manage emotions can help control triggers if you know how you are going to react in a certain situation. You are the expert of you and what you think your triggers would be.
DragonView2
When you face a trigger you may: Feel very upset or become emotionally and or physically numb. Your heart may speed up or slow down brusquely. You may react strongly using a lot words like "you always" and "you never" or "I always" and "I never". Which are probably not accurate. And these absolutes are used to state something negative. You may feel down for days after being triggered. You may freeze, feel an urge to flee or to fight/yell. Or feel helpless and try desperately and anxiously to de-escalate the situation even at a personal cost. You may feel anxious and sick in your body. You may feel depressed after exposure. You may be overwhelmed with negative thoughts after. You may have nightmares about the event, have difficulty falling or staying asleep. You may break down crying. You may react in ways that you do not remember. You may feel like avoiding certain places, people, things or situations that remind you anyhow of a traumatic event. Whatever elicits these reactions is probably a trigger.
MeganfromMaryland
Well, it may take many situations to narrow down the trigger word or action, but you want to really stay intune with your emotions to figure out where you fluctuate when things are done. Paying attention to how you feel in many scenarios, good or bad, helps you identify what you enjoy and boosts you vs. what negatively effects you. Once you have a grasp on that "list" you can start testing the waters on each of the actions again, or words, and figure another list of intensity of emotion. Once you have intensity figured out too, you can be able to tackle any trigger, good or bad, and practice productivity in each emotion.
MsKendra
Triggers are tricky to identify! It's a skill that anyone can learn though. For me, I had to slow down. Meditation and self-care were the first steps on the pathway to identifying my triggers. When I was anxious or triggered before, I only became aware of the anxiety, because I hadn't slowed down to be mindfully looking for the thought that preceded it. Over time, and being mindful and reflective of what was happening and what I was thinking prior to anxiety hitting, I became aware of a pattern. Anxiety came after a similar thought every time. Then I started to be able to identify the trigger thought and slow down and mindfully and with self-compassion, reassess the trigger and let it go, before the anxiety hit with it. I needed to be very gentle with myself and be my own friend, even when I didn't want to be. One step at a time, I continue to take care of my complex mind by slowing down to be able to see and rethink damaging thoughts before they have such a deep impact.
ifyouknowtocountcountwithme
I would say you begin to remember certain things that made you sad or upset for instance. You can always vent in here with us, and maybe figure out a way to cope. A way to cope for me is listening music, go to my room and just get away for a moment of a certain person that makes me feel bad. Please remember that it can take a while to find a listener that fits you. Please don't be discouraged. You can always use the filter with the topic and check the verified listeners. Thanks for trusting in us.
Lorauna
Psych central says, "Triggers are very personal; different things trigger different people. The survivor may begin to avoid situations and stimuli that she/he thinks triggered the flashback. She/he will react to this flashback, trigger with an emotional intensity similar to that at the time of the trauma. A person’s triggers are activated through one or more of the five senses: sight, sound, touch, smell and taste." Personally when a trigger happens, I get immense anxiety over something I see either on the TV or in real life. It doesn't necessarily need to be linked to a memory, it just needs to cause immense emotion.
HappyBeach
Awareness is key, if you are feeling anything that makes you anxious, depressed, or a feeling that is provoking of another feeling this is a trigger. I used to be triggered by any talk of death. I had this huge fear of death so if people were talking about anything related to it or news even I would start looking at is as a trigger. I overcame it after awhile but it truly was something that made me feel awful. Another trigger of mine was grocery lines and even driving which were triggers for panic attacks. I found that the wait in line to check out was a place I could start my what if's. I chose to go at times where I knew there was no line and its was much easier. I broke all of this down piece by piece and found that it wasn't the grocery store so much but the what if's that were in my head. Once I overcame the parts of the triggers that were deeper I learned that the trigger was nothing. Same thing as a negative trigger we cannot forget our positive triggers. One of mine is the beach's this provokes a slow down for me and a peacefulness inside. I truly believe the ions have much to do with the good feeling we get from the beach but it also became a positive trigger to m are me slow down and think about the waves and a good distraction imaging to calm my depression and fears. Triggers are the reaction to what is happening to create another reaction both positive and negative, I always tell my clients to journal what was happening when they have anxiety and where they were, how they felt, this can sometimes help identify what is a true trigger and what is a perceived trigger and how to overcome and break them down so they don't interfere with our well being.
Anonymous
When you start to feel the anger out of nowhere, you know you are triggered. Sometimes it is the overwhelming sadness. Commonly you feel you are losing control of your negative emotions. And you are about to say something or do something that you may feel regret afterwards. A trigger may make you feel that you are attacked. So you do something to defend yourself. From my experience, I would say a trigger makes my ego feel pain. Acting on an impulse, I search my frantic brain for any way to fight off my attack my attacker. If you have experience of something similar, start to make mental notes. Once you feel certain negative emotion coming up, exit and calm yourself down.
Niktu58
Identifying a trigger takes knowing yourself. Understanding things that were very difficult in the past including traumatic events cause the mind to go to a dark place. Is it bad to be triggered? In my opinion, no it isn't. Your brain and body sensations of fight and flight are protective. A trigger can feel like it is difficult to breathe, as though you want to run, scream or physically hurt someone or even burst out in tears from an unknown reason. All of these emotions are trying to tell you that a particular situation of period from the past isn't quite resolved. What is happening in the present is causing your brain and body conflict. Identifying the emotion that is brought up and considering what about the present is bothersome will be a guide to knowing yourself better and identifying triggers.
Dujour2000
Triggers are things that inform us we're in facing trouble. Triggers can be a smell or a sound. They can be words, or simple a tone-of-voice. Knowing your triggers help you to make healthy choices or at least, move away from those that are potentially injurious. Identifying triggers entail asking yourself the following question: "Why did I make that unhealthy choice?" The answer might be that certain people, places and things "trigger" certain responses. The AA model encourages its followers to avoid such situations. Knowing ourselves and what "sets us off" is knowing your triggers. Identifying our triggers entails self-knowledge and a concern for our well-being.