How do I release my fears that manifested through my sexual assault trauma?

Netherlands

Caroline Middelsdorf, MSc.

I am a warm hearted, patient, calm and open-minded therapist. I am here to dedicate my expertises to my clients and their individual challenges, thoughts and feelings.

LisaDeRegtMBPsS
Hi there, Firstly, it's a huge step coming forward to ask this question so well done for stepping forward. Healing psychologically from a sexual assault can take many years as often the trauma becomes so deeply inbedded into our unconscious and it is sometimes when we least expect it that we get an unwelcome reminder of the trauma. Did you receive trauma debriefing after the sexual assult? Writing down your fears is useful and the raw unedited version of this can help you release your thoughts onto paper. You can then keep the writing or destroy it - whatever works for you. Talking to a professional can really help you gain insight too through the deep discussion of the event that took place, what happened after and generally your thoughts now. It will take time but it is great that you're asking these questions.
KristenHR - Expert in PTSD/Trauma
Sexual Assault is a very traumatic experience for any woman or man who experienced it. There are several areas where we can find some release. Journaling, therapy, support groups, sharing with a trusted and compassionate friend are a few ideas that may help. Self-talk and strategic decision making can be beneficial as well. For example, just acknowledging my thoughts - I feel afraid to go out of my house now, but I need to go to work, so I will check before leaving then will tell myself I can do this - I can go out of my house and go to work. Not an easy task, but can be very helpful. EMDR is a type of therapy that can be very helpful in dealing with the fear from sexual assault.
Anonymous
Well this is not an easy one to answer here but if I had to answer this you release your fears by listening to music and maybe going for a walk and when your going for that walk you are going to work out the fears that came into your head about the trauma and then if your still feeling many fears after that then talk to someone that is trained in this area of what your feeling. For you never could get over this yourself if you do not get the help your needing here. Use the tools around you for fighting the fears off.