If I forgive a person, do I stay in an abusive situation?

Amelia Winsby, PsyD

I often work with clients who experience a wide range of emotions and difficulties. I am non-judgmental and enjoy working with individuals from all walks of life.

Anonymous
Forgiveness can be a great way to find peace of mind and closure. However, staying in an unhealthy relationship is not the right answer.
Tyedyedbutterfly65
Forgiving is a great gift to give someone and ourselves but it does not give someone permission to be abusive either physically or mentally, it is a choice to stay with someone like that or be around people like that most of the time now not always because some could be our own family .We have to do what is best for ourselves because we do matter and we should never be abused or be abusive to anyone. If possible it would be best to stay away from someone that is abusive , stick with people who are not abusive and know that you do deserve better in your life.