I'm to scared to see a therapist after traumatic psych hospitalization experience. What steps can I take to get out of this loop?

Jennifer Fritz, LMSW, PhD

Day to day life can be stressful and overwhelming and my strength is assisting my clients in a supportive, empowering and practical manner.

JennMarie2
I have also found that as a trauma survivor, it is was hard to take the first step to speak to a therapist. One of the great things about therapy is that it is a controlled environment. By this, I mean that you are in total control of your session with the therapist. You can decide what you wish to discuss and what you don't want to discuss. One of the best parts is if you decide you want to discuss something with your therapist but then you change your mind, you have the power to end that conversation. Unless you pose a threat to yourself or others, your therapist will respect your boundaries when you wish to end your conversation on a topic. One of the best things as a trauma survivor going into therapy is that you are in total control of the situation. This is a liberating feeling because of the past experience where you were not the one in control of what was going on. I know that taking the first step to reach out and seek help can be very overwhelming. One of the things that helped me to overcome my fear was outlining goals for therapy. Before each session I would write own what I wished to discuss and how much detail I wished to discuss it in. The best thing about therapy is that there is no right/wrong way to go about it!