What are withdrawal symptoms like?

Alex DS Ellis, MA, LMFT

Feeling depressed or anxious can be so overwhelming. I want to help you feel better and be able to enjoy life. You are not alone and you deserve emotional support.

Anonymous
Withdrawal symptoms look very different for everyone and it depends on what substance you are using. I have withdrawn from medication that was addicting but prescribed to me. It was done immediately and I did not have any chance to taper off. The symptoms I experience were very similar to the side effects that I got when I first started taking the medication. This included nausea, fatigue, dizziness, and worsened mood. When it comes to other substances, one of the common withdrawal symptoms is irritability or anxiousness. I have also withdrawn from substances and whenever I wanted it, I felt very irritable and anxious because I could no longer have the substance. In conclusion, withdrawal can be physical or mental, but they are different for everyone!