How can I deal with someone that is acting like a 'diva'?

Richard Manson, BSW,CAP

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Compassionate, non-judgemental and experienced substance abuse therapist driven to helping guide clients to overcome issues relating to abusing drugs and/or alcohol.

Anonymous
Make sure that you don't let them walk all over you, just because they are full of themselves. It's so important that you maintain your perception of yourself and not let their ego make you think worse of yourself.
Anonymous
Gently try to help them with their problems no matter what they seem to be acting like, because labeling them would be an assumption
TheSentientApe
February 1st, 2017 4:15pm
Validate any accurate or adaptive perceptions they may have about themselves, and lightly challenge any possible delusions of grandeur by gently asking them to think about the behavior that seems diva-esque. Ideally, with some introspection, they will come to realize that some of their behavior and self-expectations are a bit unrealistic, without you having to directly shut them down on anything.
BenevolentWords
You can distance yourself from them. If you don't like the way someone is acting, you have the right to choose to separate yourself from them. If you don't want to deal with them, don't. If it's someone you care about and you aren't willing to cut them off, then kindly confront them on the issue you are having with them and explain to them how they could change.
Vronica23
I think it's important when dealing with anyone we're having trouble getting along with to try to remember that everyone has a reason for their manner. Try to see things from a different perspective. It might be frustrating, or difficult to deal with someone acting this way, but that doesn't mean we can't do it. If it's getting really out of hand, it might be worth it to pull them aside and talk to them about it. They may not realize they're acting this way. Try to be understanding, and polite, There's no need to call them out and embarrass them in front of others. If that doesn't work, at least you know you made an attempt. If it's more than you can handle, there's no shame in backing yourself away from the situation that makes you uncomfortable.
gongoozlersoup19
What kind of relationship do you have with the "diva"? I would recommend setting boundaries with the person. First, identify what kind of interaction you want/are comfortable having with the individual and go from there.
WaveOfTheCreed
From my experience "diva's" are people that have a big attitude. I have found that the best thing to do is to try to understand why they are acting up. Leaving them to it or calling them out may just make the situation much worse, so it is in my opinion best to listen and understand.
Anonymous
well, there simply isn't a legal way to just drop everything and not deal with them, and kick them out. but everyone has something that will intrigue them to stop their actions, just fascinate them.
CrimsonMoon46
Try having an open, honest conversation using "I" statements. Saying things like "I feel ______ when you _____" and maybe give them some loving suggestions about how they can improve their relationship with you.
Averyisheretohelp
There could be many different reasons why that person is acting in the way that they are. The best thing you can do is to try and stay calm, and recognize that you are bothered by their behavior. Maybe try addressing them directly, or going to an objective third party to explain the situation.
Anonymous
Ask yourself what their motivation is for acting like this. Almost every time, it's a "look at me!" attention-grabbing mood. The best way to discourage this behavior is to give them the opposite of what they're seeking. If they learn that this behavior gets them ignored instead of the attention they're looking for, there's a good chance they'll change it!
Anonymous
Give them a snickers... No honestly I guess you should try to talk with that person get him/her back to earth with honesty and in a calm manner.
JustKiv
The best solution is to never entertain them. If they are behaving like a 'Diva' It is best to simply ignore them and because they are attention seekers. If you give them the attention, the worse they'll get.
Anonymous
You don't need to "deal" with anything unpleasant in life. Look at the situation, changes are that you can remove yourself from the situation, or limit exposure to the bare minimum; once a diva, always a diva (narcissist???); so, don't feed the monster and seek better company. Unless you want to self-sabotage your own life.
Anonymous
I think it would depend on how well you know this person. If you are good friends and the person is just having a moment, maybe let them have it. They may be trying to get something out of their system. If they are someone you do not know very well, this may just be their personality, or they may also be having a moment and just need some time to get out of it. I would suggest trying to discern why the person is acting this way, but if it is really bothering you, you may want to find a way to leave the conversation.
Anonymous
If someone is acting in this way, try to talk to them about how you feel in a non-confrontational way. Could you tell me more about how you are feeling?
MollyCule
February 1st, 2018 9:47pm
Minimal and unemotional responses seem to work best with somebody who is acting overly dramatic. Typically a diva wants to stir up drama. When you don't give them that, they don't have much to work with.
Anonymous
I need my personal experience the best way Tom deal with a diva is to either walk away. Failing that. Try to make them see the bigger picture. Show them that there is more to it than just what they are seeing.
Yourhero123
In my opinion I suggest you respond to that person's words and actions in a neutral way as possible. What do I mean by neutral? I mean by not expressing any feelings in your words and actions. Don't try to fight that person because that person will be more of a diva than ever. Don't accept it and submit under that person's diva personality. What I mean by that is don't treat her like she's the center of the world. That will only add fuel to the fire. If that person says something or does something that indicates a diva then just interact with it by treating that person like a normal person. I know it would be hard to ignore that person. It's gonna be hard putting up with a diva. Don't give up try to be neutral as possible.
andreland
indifference is your answer. you don t want to lose your chance because someone's behavior affects you. in the end, no one really cares about you, than the family. so let her make her own show.
JaydenIsHere
Understand it. By using the word 'diva', it's clear to see you feel negatively about it. Try to understand why you do feel this way, and what you need to do about it.
Anonymous
There are a few definitions of a Diva, But I assume you're using it in a disparaging manner and to refer to those who act entitled, Narcissistic. Whether it is in the workplace, or at home, you have to settle a Diva down by telling them EXACTLY what is distasteful about their behavior, and then set some boundaries for them. This will make it extremely clear to them about what they're doing and now you have a clear line in which they should not cross.
Anonymous
let he live in her fantasy. ignore her ego and her own ideas about herself. let reality hit her hard in the face once she comes down the high tree she is.
Sill
When someone acts as though they are a "diva", they are deflecting off of themselves and onto you. :) When someone acts like this, the best thing (imo) to do is to humor them or to express to them how it makes you feel. If they do not respect your feelings, they are being very toxic towards you.
ascs
Confront them about it and ask them why they are acting this way. Maybe the person is trying to hide their real feelings by putting up an act. Tell them that it’s bothering you and talk it out.
LittleMissJoy
The first suggestion i could say to be the best way to deal with this is to try your absolute best to accept every individual for who they are. You may not like to be around this 'kind' of person or character and there is nothing wrong with that but, it would be totally unfair to treat them any different from anyone else. If you find yourself getting annoyed or uncomfortable to be around someone whom is acting like a diva, the next best thing to do is to walk away.
2AmTherapist
Just ignore them. They aren't worth your time or effort. If they want to continue to be a child for your attention , then just leave it alone.
Chrispensacola
I can deal with someone who is acting like a diva by not being responsive to the behavior which is usually aimed at intimidating the other person.
FruityFloss
From the wording of your question I feel as though we are similar and I think the same about some important people in my life. However, you have to understand that everyone reacts differently to situations and effects them to different extremities. Do your best to leave judgement behind and maybe by offering genuine support or trying to figure out why they’re acting this way you may find they calm down. Acting like a diva may be a form of subconscious attention seeking. However, at the same time if the person is being a “diva” do not let yourself be treated badly, and do not deal with toxicity.
RumpleSteeleSkin
Respect that in them. I know- it is real hard to do this. But maybe they are very confident in their self esteem, they love themselves a whole lot!