How can I deal with someone that is acting like a 'diva'?

Polly Letsch, LCSW

I provide non-judgmental, person-centered, objective therapeutic treatment for individuals of all ages to improve social, emotional, mental and other areas of functioning.

Anonymous
Avoid attempting to control them into not being a diva because doing so will only get you more invested in them. "Divas" like to provoke people into getting invested in them, in self-defense, or in an argument. You won't always have the last word, but you don't have to. It doesn't make them right nor you cowardly. That's just you acknowledging to yourself that you've mentally arrived at the conclusion. Too bad the diva hasn't, but it's their loss. Everyone who matters (i.e. you, and whoever listens) has already heard what needs to be heard. There is no need to be overstated.
heartfulEndfoftherainbow3
I can try to talk to them calmly and ask them how they are feeling. And what is making them feel the need to act in such a way. If they are not trying to engage or talk then offer myself and let them know that I am here when they want to talk about anything. Sometimes some space is good when people are just one way and are not open minded. Being able to understand different personalities and ways people are and can express themselves is important. Some people are "Divas" because they have pain and hurt beneath all that sass they portray. It is not always a bad thing for it might be their defense mechanism.
Anonymous
I usually wouldn't engage someone if they are acting like a diva, but if you have to deal with them, then I would recommend to try to limit the interaction as much as possible. Try to remain mature, professional, and calm. Try to be the better person by treating them the way you would want to be treated. Perhaps if you remain non-judgmental it could go a long way. You never know what is going on in another's life that may prompt them to behave like a diva so reaching harshly or negatively to them might worsen their behavior. At the same time, you don't need to bend over backwards backwards please them. You need to set clear boundaries on your behavior.
Anonymous
Hi, Sorry to hear to hear about the problem. I hear you well when you say someone is acting like a diva. One thing I think that has helped me in my experience dealing with a diva is first trying to understand why they are acting the way they are and whether any of it may be a misunderstaning. Did they understand that they're expected to do a task or perhaps could i provide my friend more help socailly by providing meaningful explanation. Could they actually coincidentally act out not understanding that it hurt me? I usually would ask more insightful questions before outright asking if they were trying to hurt me as some of my diva friends actually were trying to cause me harm. Then sometimes they are trying to hurt me and I usually had chosen to distance myself. Otherwise, keeping a record to show leaders has been useful for me personally. I hope this brings some comfort. Bests. ♥️