How do I cope with a long-distance relationship?

Trishna Monplaisir, LMSW

T and S Therapeutic Services knows the importance of listening. We are here to advocate, empower and provide compassion to individuals who need help.

Starsoul
I am not a relationship expert, but I am in a long-distance relationship. It is hard, at times. But there are things you can do to make it more bearable: skype, video calls, phone calls, there are a lot of apps for long-distance couples now, to feel less far away from each other. Sends little but thoughtful gifts, or old fashioned letters, or cards, even the smallest things can mean a lot to the other person, and you will let them know you are thinking of them. Internet is wonderful for this as well: you can find a lot of advice and tips and tricks on how to cope, how to make it fun for both, how to keep in contact (I use Pinterest and various websites to look for advice or inspiration). In these types of relationships (for me, at least), love is always what fuels you to keep going, to not give up, to keep counting down the days you are going to see each other again, to be strong for your future together. If there is enough love, it is all worth it and it will not feel a burden to skype or text each other goodnight, but a sweet habit. And if there is not enough love, it is nothing to be ashamed of. It happens, we are all humans.
LavenderFlower
Being in a long distance relationship can get quite difficult due, quite blatantly the lack of physical contact. One way to cope with this (other than visiting as often as possible), is to find ways to do things that you both enjoy doing together when in person, like watching movies. It may be a little different than watching movies in person, but you still get to share that time together. Maybe sit down on a call with one another and play the movie at the same time and watch together. Some other ideas include cooking recipes together, playing video games, chatting, etc. You can also try to distract yourself from the problem of distance with your own unique coping strategies until you are able to see each other again.