How do you tell your friend that you disagree with them without hurting their feelings?

Veronica Wade-Hampton, LPC

I enjoy working with individuals of all capacities as I view the role of therapist as one in which you help the client learn to cope with the pressures of daily life.

BlueJayRose
Sometimes you disagree with a friend even though you believe that you should agree with them because they are your friend. Some ways that you can tell them without hurting their feelings can be critical to saving a relationship, especially if said disagreement is critical. One of the ways that you can tell a friend that you disagree with them without hurting your feelings is to just talk with them and be honest. If you try to maybe lie and try to soften the fact that you do not agree with them, it can come back and punch you in the face if they figure out that you were lying to them or get offended that you didn’t just telling the truth. Another way to tell a friend that you disagree with and without hurting your feelings is to write them a simple note, hand written, and hand it to them before going your separate ways. This will remove a possible awkward scenario between you two in person, allowing each to think before having to socially communicate together a situation that might not be comfortable. In the end, you should be honest and straightforward with a friend whom you disagree with so as not to hurt their feelings if they learned that you lied to them. If you have to tell a friend that you disagree with them, I wish you luck and I hope that your friendship will remain strong despite the disagreement!
Anonymous
I would say it politely and not in a rude manner. You don't want to make them think that they are disturbing you. I would also assure them that what you are not meaning to hurt their feelings and that it's simply a disagreement. Another thing that you could do it negotiate in away. Try and say you're opinion but then say something positive about their opinion. That seems to work because you are backing both and them up. Remember, don't be afraid to tell a friend the truth. If they are true friends they will accept the disagreement and know you had good intentions.
kindDreamer9743
This is always a difficult one to tackle depending on the said friends personality which is one you can only judge unless of coarse they have let you know over time that they like to be told things up front rather than beat around the bush! but in all cases if you are unsure how they will react to your opinion which should be accepted like you do with theirs, but this where diplomacy counts so you can get a feel for how they will receive your opinions, another thing to consider is your tone and attitude how you will say about your disagreement.
Anonymous
I understand that you are probably in a difficult position. Start off by saying you respect what they think but you have a different opinion. You can be very respectful about it and then you just explain what you feel. They may be annoyed but you can just explain that everybody has their own opinon. If this does not go down well, you may just have to give them a bit of time alone before they come to their senses and forgive you. I know this may be hard but I beileve that you can do it! I wish you good luck!
sunalchemy
Choose your moment carefully and your place. Make sure you are not surrounded by some agressive noise and other people. Listen to them. Take your time. You got to explain it in a very respectful way. Using the pronom I does help a lot. In the end you just have to be honest with them. That's trust building 101 ! People will be grateful that you are authentic and you do not switch your answers everytime there's a disagreement. It also makes you truthful and more reliable. Don't hide your truth behind fear of judgement. If you fear telling the truth to someone maybe that person is not worthy of this conversation.
Evertonest
I would try not to explicitly disagree with them. I would present my point of view instead straight away, and explain why. I would explain potential problems that may arise from their position, and how it may not be helpful to themselves or to other people. I could then offer an alternative that is more helpful that the person can adopt instead. I wouldn't bring a mindset where I believe my position is correct and theirs is wrong - instead I would remain open-minded to the fact that their position could make sense too. My open-mindedness would then be reflected in my tone of voice and body language, which can avoid hurting people's feelings.
lovelyEmbrace9205
One way to do so would be to tell them how much you appreciate them for thinking and coming up with the idea but that maybe you guys should go with the other idea and state a reason why. Comfort them and don’t reflect negatively on whatever there idea was. An example would be “we should go to the park today” and your response would be “ that sounds so fun, it’s really angreat idea but I think maybe we should stay home today. The weather is kind of chilly and it’s getting a bit dark out. That is a good idea though, possibly another time?
Maasumsiddiq
Your right but i have another opinion and i think you should listen to it once and then we shall come to a conclusion as to what should be done to solve this problem you are right but it wouldnt harm in listening to my side of the story after listening to my side we will calmly decide as to what shall be done and what measures should be taken to solve this problem and i am with you in this conversation its just that we have different understandings about this topic soo let’s discuss it and find a solution
uniquePeace1111
By keeping an objective view and ensuring that you fully understand his ir her perspective. Keeping your emotions in check, start breaking down the specific points with logical reasoning explanation. Continue to maintain the context and don’t let your emotions empower your judgement. Also, your tone and body language is equally important. Keeping a smile could help as well. Most importantly, don’t disagree when you know that your friend is right or his or her point of view is valid. After all, its your friend and true friends care for each other and building that trust is very important.
Amyspirit1111
Relationships sometimes can be really hard - including friendships. People sometimes think and think about how to tell a friend something and may make it into a bigger deal than it actually is. Have you ever done that? I find with my friends it's best to just call out the problem and ask them if it's okay if I talk about it with them. Make sure you have all of the facts from them, as you may discover that this is just a misunderstanding and all will be good. If not, then your friendship will be more healthy from having been honest with each other!
Tarbear22
I believe if you can communicate in a way that validated their feelings but also gets how you're feeling out, is a great way to not rock the boat so to speak. People aren't always going to agree on things and if you can communicate in a way that shows the other person that even though you don't have the same opinion on something as they do, it doesn't mean either party is wrong. Try saying something like I understand why you would feel that way, I just look at it differently and that's ok. We are both entitled to different opinions
blissfulBadger6896
"Hi friend, when you say x, I have to respectfully disagree with you." Make sure that "x" is an accurate restatement, or better, word-for-word parroting, of what they said. Refrain from giving them responsibility for my feelings. Instead of saying, "You say x, which hurts me," you can say something like, "You said x, and I feel pain (or sadness, or anger) when you say that." You can share your emotions without making someone else responsible for your feelings. When someone else feels responsible for your feelings, they can become defensive and that closes down the possibility for communication.
DipityEnigma
It can help to show a diplomatic approach to these kind of situations and make it known that what you're saying is an opinion of your own and you're not trying to change their point of view. It can help to say phrases such as "In my opinion, I think that..." and "While I respect your choices, I think there may be a better alternative" and letting them know that no matter what decisions they make, you'll be there to support them. It can be hard especially if they tend to be quite sensitive but that's why it's good to use a sensitive approach. I hope this helps :)
Anonymous
I tell my friend that I disagree by simply saying mu opinion. If a person is your friend, he/ she will surely understand or atleast try their best to understand your opinion. I try not to hurt them because that might affect our friendship. I tell them with calmness and try not be rude. I know if I will talk rudely no one will be interested to listen to my opinion. I want to tell them that I disagree and I will tell them. I will try not to expect that they will have the same opinion or will change after listening to me
SomebodyLovesYouIDo
The wonderful thing about being friends is mutual understandment and learning from one another. It’s great to have different opinions, or the world would not be unique. True friends will cherish you, no matter your disagreements. Part of friendship is accepting those differences. That is how your friendship grows. If you had similar opinions, life would not be as exciting. As your friendship grows throughout the years, you will bump heads, but you will make it out with an even stronger bond. Friends are there to help give feedback and advice. To be a lending ear and lending shoulder.
Julie0404
I would try and understand their perspective first. Why do they feel that way? What could've led them to that standpoint? By understanding and taking in their perspective I am also expanding mine. I don't believe that anything in this world is black and white so that we can say that someone is "right" or "wrong". I would then tell them why I think differently, while remaining on the topic and on them, specifically. Telling them they're wrong doesn't lead to anything, it's much better to let them think it through again by introducing my standpoint. If we still aren't on the same page, I would gently end the conversation, rather than aggressively forcing my opinion on them. Friendships, like all relationships, are with other people with their own set of opinions and views, we won't agree on everything and that is okay.
confidentSeal7672
I hear, what you are saying, but it's okay that we don't agree on something. It's okay to have different opinions on a subject. I still do care about you and you are a good friend. Thank you for telling me how you feel. Sometimes people have different opinions, and can still care about one another, we shouldn't have an agreement over someone have two different agreements on a subject. Its awesome that we can be mature and honest about how we each feel. It's awesome how we both understand and can listen to one another without fighting. I love you.
Charlotte996
My grandmother always says: "You don't have to be disagreeable to disagree." Of course, this is easier said than done, especially when it comes to someone you carer about. However, it doesn't mean it can't be done. A disagreement doesn't have to be a fight, so the main thing to look out for is the words you use. Using words that come across as attacking words can make it very difficult to disagree with someone. For example: "Your idea isn't right." vs. "I feel that perhaps there's more to it." Using "I feel..." automatically softens that blow, as you're not disregarding your friend's opinion and at the same time, you're making it clear that what's going to follow is your beliefs, not theirs. So, be aware of the words you use. You can even sit down beforehand and write a few sentences out, asking yourself how you'd feel if someone said them to you. Also, timing is everything. If your friends are in a bad mood, they'll likely feel offended regardless of what you say. So, be careful of the when and where of the talk. This can make things difficult as sometimes it takes forever for a good time to come. One last thing. Keep in mind that sometimes your friend might fight back even if you've been very kind about disagreeing. This can be for a variety of reasons and likely its because there's more to it than simply you disagreeing with them. So be patient and listen to them :)
Anonymous
When I disagree with my friend I first start by listening to them and asking questions to clarify why they have that opinion. Then explain my opinions. I am careful to explain why I have my opinions and that they come from my experiences. Both of us have come from different backgrounds and it’s ok to have different opinions. I explain that I respect their opinion and hope that they respect mine. I think it’s important during the conversation to validate their opinion and thank them for sharing their opinions. If it becomes too heated then I would recommend not proceeds forward with sharing this particular topic any longer making it clear that I care for them and it’s ok to disagree with respect.
Sarita90
I would appreciate their ideas and explore the right side of it. Then I will say, in my side of view I might be add my opinion to yours. I will show how much I respect his idea as well. Sometimes I find it a good idea to find the common ideas between or different opinions, it help to avoid any problems. I will confirm that I will be there for them whenever they want although I'm not totally agree about their ideas, especially if it's something they take action towards it. I will keep calm even if they get angry.
Sav517
Your opinion is definitely valued and I hear what you are saying. However, I disagree, would you be open to listening to my opinion? Then we can discuss how we feel about it. Sometimes people disagree but if you look at it from a different perspective it is actually quite interesting to hear others' opinions. There have been many times I've disagreed with friends and in the end, I learned something new. I hope you can see where I am coming from because I genuinely care about what you think and it would be great if we could discuss this openly without argument!
Dezzie43
Disagreeing with a friend can cause some tension. I would go about this by using "I" statements, giving points and clarifying, before making your point, that your standpoint has nothing to do with them. If it's something that personally triggers them, I would try not to debate or chat about it but emphasizing your feelings and beliefs as a separate thing and that you still care about them despite not sharing the same viewpoints. Disagreeing might be stressful for them because of how they view it. Therefore, if you disagree with them, it could trigger feelings of not being the same and being on a different page. This matters because friends are normally a group of similar people. Just analyzing.
Mirage8882
Every friendship is going to have disagreements. The important thing is that everyone understands that we all have different life experiences so that our views will be different. It's fine to think differently than other people. By all means, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I disagree with my friends on all sorts of topics, but it's a matter of "I hear what you are saying, I do not agree with you, but that's okay. " The focus should be on the overall friendship and allowing room for differences of opinion when respectfully done as opposed to a mindset of "my way is the only or right way, and if you don't think like me then you're wrong"
Anonymous
It's complicated to disagree with someone without some form of conflict, but wanting to avoid hurting them is a good thing. Though I can't answer specifically, like most conversations being respectful and wording your responses to sound as polite and understanding as possible can greatly improve the chances of not hurting your friends feelings. Always take time to understand their point and why they may feel that way before formulating an unconfrontational repsonse giving your own view, however different it is to there's. Just aim to be understanding and refrain from saying anything insulting or harmful if anger arises in yourself.
BubblyBrit
Show that you understand their perspective on the topic and present why you disagree, without making it a personal issue. For example, I understand why you believe blue is the best colour, but for me, i like purple because its the colour of my favourite dress. By showing that you understand why they have that view, it presents respect for their view and so their feelings will not be hurt. It all comes down to choice of words essentially. Hopefully they will understand but then again it comes down the topic in question. If it is something they are very passionate about or something you cannot debate on calmly. Then simply say "i disagree with you on ____ due to ____. But this does not affect our friendship nor the respect i have for you". Hope this helps :)
caringairbear
Validate their point of view. If you begin your conversation with a negative tone, your friend will already be on the defensive. I would start by listening to what they have to say, follow it up with "I hear you when you say XYZ and I respect your point of view. I see it differently" and explain your point of view. Even best friends and spouses do not agree 100% of the time. That is OK. It's normal for your friend to feel a little hurt or upset that you disagreed, but the way you deliver the message can be all the difference between quickly moving past it or creating tension.
WhalienFiftyTwo
To avoid offending someone, the point of your statement should be to make the other person understand from YOUR point of view - not for you to challenge THEIR view. You can show that you're disagreeing with them without making it too straightforward, like saying "I disagree" . Whenever my friends give an opinion I don't agree with, I start by saying "However, I think ______ , you understand what I'm saying?" and so on. If the other person is someone who might get offended easily, I try to show that I respect - and maybe even agree with to an extent - their opinion (if possible). To prevent any lingering negative feelings, I usually change the subject of the conversation to a more positive topic once the disagreement part is over - so the other person knows what I think, but hopefully won't have hard feelings later.
warmcupofhotcocoa88
Be honest! Being honest is much better than not, if you were to lie about your opinion, it may be more hurtful in the end. The best way to say something without hurting their feelings is to be kind, and never enforce your opinion on someone, don't be rude and/or condecending in anyway, just be you and simpily give your honest opinion! If you feel you struggle with this alot you can always talk to me about it. I've struggled with the same issues when I used to surround myself with negative people who suppressed my opinions, however now I've gained the confidence in myself to tell how I see situtations and my opinions and you can too!
FrostWire
Hiya; I'm FrostWire, your supporting listener. Your question is very important. How does one tell a friend that they disagree without hurting them emotionally? Some people are unbothered by criticism an love persuasion if it's coming from a friend. But that's just some, not everyone is the same as another; one has to ask the most appropriate questions mentally an quickly sometimes when dealing with things as such. If one is to slow, you could look like a fibber; if one is to quick, you could look like a know it all. Arguments within relations as friends can very well be both good and bad too. So, i believe we should do our best to steer clear of confrontation if possible. But then theirs a chance of a friend needing a tough friend. Take my own story for reasoning, okay? Me an a friend were living together. This friend of mines has a temper problem to this day. One day as we work throughout the city we came home to the apartment an my friend got into a big argument with his spouse that caused my friend to put a big hole in the wall. I immediately stepped in to address the problem my friend was creating for us because i disagreed with his logic on stress release. One action deserves another. In return for my honesty, my friend left in the car. I was able to patch the hole over time an even teach my friend a new skill.
carefreeRose6190
Make sure that you explain to your friend that you are trying to explain your point of view. Include that this is your opinion and your opinion only. Make sure to use "I" statements and not to use "you" statements. Say things like "I think this because..." or "I feel this way because...". Try to avoid saying things like "You are doing this and it's a horrible idea." It is also important to use a soft, balanced tone so that your friend will not feel attacked in any way by your statement. Try to explain how you could see their point of view and then go on to try and explain yours.