I had trauma in my life. I was told that can change my look on self esteem. Can someone tell me more about this?

Tracee Moore, PhD

I have worked with people on a variety issues across a spectrum of issues including grief/loss, adjustment issues, anxiety, depression, medical issues and life transitions.

romanticthi3f
- Expert in Self-Esteem
Absolutely trauma can impact our self-esteem. There is a massive amount of changes in our brain when we go through trauma; everything from our sense of time, to how we remember things, to our sense of purpose and self-worth. We might feel like we 'deserved it' or that we 'started it' or any of those things! Ultimately it depends on the trauma as to what sort of beliefs that we have about ourselves - but those beliefs impact our self esteem.
- Expert in Self-Esteem
Some times as a result of a trauma there is a tendency for self blame which can result in a low self esteem
amiablePeace77
Trauma can leave us as a victim, helpless, evtl. with the feeling we did not deserve better, and also the feeling of being kind of "dirty", and much more. Understanding that we are not the trauma, not what has happened is essential, we are not to blame. Looking at it from a different angle can help, seeing it that we survived makes us the person who "did it", "who got out of it" the survivor, so a different role. Loving ourselves for what we accomplished is important, building up self-trust maybe together with a therapist.