Am I a bad person for self harming?

Lisa De Regt, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

Mikayla1000
No, you are not! Self-harm is a way to cope, and although it's not the best way to cope, you're NOT a bad person. Here at 7cups, we want to help and support you, please request a chat and we'd be happy to talk with you :)
Suvarna
Not at all. A good/bad person does not depend on this at all. One self harms because they are angry, frustrated or sad about something. You don't self harm because you are a bad person. You are a good person and you must absolutely believe that.
Anonymous
No, Most people have gone through self harm in there life. You are not a bad person, you just need a little healing :)
Abigailrose6899
No! you are not a bad person for self harming. You are probably going through more than what you can handle. and feel that self harm is a way to deal with it, while there are much better ways of expressing your emotions, you are not a bad person for that at all.
TropicalSeas91
No you are not a bad person, you are a regular person like everyone else who happens to be going through some stuff and using self harm as a coping mechanism. That said, self-harm can be dangerous and it might be beneficial to find alternative means of coping.
Anonymous
Never a bad person. Never never never never never ever a bad person. I myself dont think im a bad person because I self-harm.
musicalDreamer71
No, of course not. Everyone goes through tough times, but it's important that you try to replace self-harm with healthy habits.
breadplane
Self-harming does NOT make you a bad person. It's just a way of dealing with negative emotions and situations. However, there are lots of ways to handle these feelings and situations that are much safer and healthier.
ToNeverland
You are not a bad person for the ways that you try to kill your sadness. We all cope inout own ways, some turn to drugs, some to alcohol and some to taking it out on themselves. The most important thing is that we all try our best to rehabilitate our minds and bodies.
Anonymous
You are not a bad person. Self-harm shows the strength and struggle of a person at a rough time in our lives. I have self-harmed before, and i am not embarrassed. It masked the pain I was going through, but instead of self-harm, I found something that distracted me, like singing, or reading, or doodling. Just something i could do, instead of hurting myself.
Pandette
Please, never think of yourself as a bad person for self-harming. You are experiencing some sort of emotional pain and this is the method you are using to stop the emotional and psychological pain. I would recommend speaking to someone to find out better methods of trying to heal or to figure out why you began to self-harm in the first place. I know it may be difficult now, but things do get better and easier. Ps, I was an avid self-harmer as well.
ThePoet
No. You are hurting for one reason or another. That being said, it is a bad thing that you do this. You should not need to self-harm to feel "alive" or better. The act of self-harm is bad, but you are not a bad person for falling into this bad habit.
Nazlii
Everybody makes mistakes.Everybody did something that they're not proud of. The important thing is realize that this is wrong :)
Angieeeee
No, of course you are not bad for self-harming. Self-harming doesn't mean that you are bad. It is just your way of expressing your sadness / agony / fear / hatred. However, self-harming is really not good for yourself, so try to divert your attention from self-harming to other stuff when you feel like self-harming.It is an addiction. Take care of yourself!
Meridianj222
You, yourself are not a bad person. You are just a little lost and confused like everyone else in the world. Try on finding different ways of coping with your pain, like writing or drawing artwork pieces to ease your discomfort. You are a beautiful person :-)
stuartleegeorge
Thats something you must answer no person knows why you did it and no person can feel the pain you inflicted so the only person with the answer is you
IllBeYourFriend
No you are not, i've self harmed, it has nothing to do with who you are, but with your feelings. And it will get better.
fayshel
no you are not a bad person, but you can possibly change and stop harming yourself, by adoring yourself
Sara889
Self-harming has nothing to do with what kind of person you are. It only means that you do not know how to cope with your emotions. That is a very normal thing that many people experience, but many cope in different ways. Self-harming is similar to abusing drugs or alcohol: it is a way to detach yourself from your reality and your feelings. However, self-harm can become more and more pronounced, so it is important to find professional help and learn healthier ways to cope with your emotions.
Livymay5
Not at all, but please seek help so you don't feel the need to hurt yourself any longer and be happy.
Anonymous
Absolutely not. Self-harm doesn't change what kind of a person you are. In my experience, I have found that people who self-harm think there isn't any other alternative. That's it. You are definitely not a bad person.
LuwUrZelf
It depends on the mood and time. Sometimes you understand the fact that i is not totally your fault and sometimes you blame yourself.
Musicfreak
no, you're not a bad person for self harming. I can understand it feels like that maybe, but you really don't.
stephx
You are absolutely not a bad person for self harming. Your coping techniques do not reflect your self-worth. Feeling guilt for self harming does, however, show you are aware there are better coping techniques that are more positive and healthy.
Rivielle
No. Self-harming is not a choice that you make so you're not a bad person. You can lessen or stop self-harming if you want though. But don't think that you're a bad person. Good day and I hope you'll stop self-harming
Anonymous
no, you are not a bad person for self harming! you are just hurt and probably depressed. Self harm is an unhealthy way to cope with the stress. It is definitely wrong but it doesn't make you a bad person!
neverletlifetakeyourspark
Absolutely not. Self-harm is a way of copping with life's problems. It's not a very good way, and shouldn't be done, but that doesn't make you a bad person.
Angelwings2
No. Of course you are not a bad person. Al self harm is is a way of coping. As a young person you didn't learn healthy coping strategies for whatever reason so you turned to self harm. That doesn't make you a bad person.
patientbambi
No not at all, people cope with things in many different ways from self harm, drinking too much to self medicating. No one is a bad person for self harming.
Anonymous
No you are not! You are still the beautiful and good person you were before. But, you should not try to harm yourself. You are truly amazing, and you are strong.