Are you open about the fact you self-harm, or do you hide it?

Luz Cotto-Charneski, LCSW

As your therapist I will help guide and support your unique process of self-discovery. I will witness you reclaim your voice and find a life of fulfillment, purpose, and ease.

Anonymous
I hide it because I am embarassed of that, I think that other people would think that I just want the attention but it is actually not like that, people who do not do it or never did it, they do not understand why I need to do it
Anonymous
I hide it, i'm not comfortable with everyone on the planet knowing, although with the people that matter I have no reason to hide it.
Savana13
I hid it because I was afraid of what people would think, but that is entirely up to you. Most hide it.
Anonymous
When i used to hurt myself i wasn't ashamed about it, i kept it covered to prevent people seeing it. I harmed for myself and not for other people to see.
ThePoet
Im open with certain people. For example, my friends know its a more active thing, but my mother (whom I hate worrying) believes that it stopped a while ago.
Anonymous
I used to feel ashamed of my scars, but now I'm very open about the fact that I used to self harm. I wasn't at the time but now I realize that it's something I may be able to help someone get through because of my own personal experiences.
nosugar
I don't hide my scars, but I don't flaunt them either. I'm not allowed to wear long sleeves at school, but when I can wear them (outside of school) I will. Most of my close friends and my family know that I self-harm, but I'm constantly worried that becasue I don't hide my scars at school that people might think I am 'attention seeking' or 'crazy'.
Anonymous
This is a very hard question to answer. It's all about context though! Those whom will make you feel bad for self-harm, I would certainly hide it from, because this will make you feel bad for something totally acceptable, besides that It's up to you who you're open about self-harm with, If you feel safe and secure in telling, then be open as you like about it :)
FrenchPaule
It depends on the reaction of people : some of them want to help you or want to know why you do that, but some other almost insult you !
ClaireyMarie
I usually hide the fact I self-harm, I feel it's a private thing and my way of dealing with things. Some people ask if my scars are from self-harming, and sometimes I tell the truth, if I feel that person is trustworthy, or if I feel they might have a similar situation.
dreamwithmelovers31
For me, i hid it for many years. as its extremely personal and its shameful, i used to think people viewed it as a sign of weakness
Anonymous
I tend to be open about it with friends, especially close friends, but hide it from the general public and acquaintances.
Anonymous
I want to be open but I have always been difficult when it comes to opening up. There is no need to feel ashamed, there is no need to hide it. But you don't need to pressure yourself to open up. Do what you feel is best
octovers
I'm actually on my way to accepting my scars and not trying so hard to hide them. I used to do anything within my power to hide it, I didn't trust anybody at the time. I used to be ashamed of my scars, I'm still learning how to accept them and to wear shirts without sleeves without making it seem like I'm suspicious of something massive. I am now very open about the fact that I have self-harmed, but I'm trying my best to not be so self conscious about my scars. I fought my battle, my scars are there as a reminder that I have struggled but I've made it.
generousShiny86
I was both, towards my friends who I was close to, I was very open about it they were quite understanding. Although I hid it from my parents for a long period of time, as they were quite judgemental.
Anonymous
Personally I hide it as it is super personal to me. The reason I do is it is a method of nurturing myself a way of being in control of my own healing and I know that sounds weird to most people. My scars are part of me but showing them invites questions I don't want to share the answers too. I am neither proud or ashamed of self harm its just how I learned to cope, the only people who know are medical professionals and therapist - i guess for me it is no one else's business but its personal choice
JakeXO
I don't particularly hide the fact that I used to self harm, but I don't flaunt it around either. My scars are visible and I don't cover them even though I swim, but I am considering getting a tattoo to cover some of them as they are a part of my past and I believe you need to remove the chains of your past to really live in the present!
364rain567
When I did it I hid it because I didn't want people asking. In this society if you show it people think that you just want attention but in reality we all just want help.
arielleCat990
I can be open to those I trust and wont turn their back on me but I hide it from those who will judge me and turn their backs on me.
TheAmazingDani
I'm open about it. Personally, I manage it. Many say it's wrong to self harm because it can go too far and eventually stop being used as just a way to get your mind off of mental or emotional issues. I've never really made myself bleed, and I do it only to get my mind off things. Not to punish myself, which is wrong 100%.
Recoveryroad2016
I just tell the people I trust and know that they will keep it a secret. I don't want the wrong people gaining knowledge of it, so I make sure I'm close to them and fully trust them.
heartfulSky71
To be completely honest I hide it until its not that bad. No one really notices it.
87crayons
Depends who I'm talking to. I will tell people if I'm on the internet or if I know them well enough. Otherwise it's hidden. I'm still ashamed about the fact that I did it.
smolbeangracie
I hide it, unless I am around a trusted friend that knows what I am going through.
Hiimme
I've actually been hiding it for around three years now because I don't do it in obvious places (i usually do it on my thighs, near my ankle or under where i wear my watch) and my culture teaches us not to point out our differences. but recently, I was trying to help my friend stop smoking and I let slip that "one month clean is good, that's way more than i've ever been clean" and now he knows but he understands that I'd like to keep it a secret. so i guess my answer is: i'm open (to one person) that i hide the fact that i self harm
Anonymous
My friends and my family are aware of my self harm, some of it cannot be hidden from those who care. I hide the new wounds, marks, and scars but because I'm in recovery and trying to get hold of things I think it's all right some people know - because they also know I'm fighting hard against it.
Anonymous
I hid it and i'm still hiding. I'm not very good to stop hurting myself.
Anonymous
When I did self harm, I hid it from most people but my closest friends knew. Other than that, nobody did. I was never comfortable with people knowing, always felt judged and uncomfortable.
toomanyfandoms12345
I hide it. However this could possibly be because I also have anxiety and thus get anxious when I feel I could possibly reveal my secret. I'm also embarrassed that I self harm so I don't want to look weak in front of others.
Anonymous
I am open with my family (meaning my husband, not my two children because they are only four), and I am open with it here on 7cups.