Does cutting for only a few months and stopping make me any less of a self-harmer?

Evelyn Coker, Masters in Social Work-LCSW

You have many strengths to overcome any challenge you may face. I am passionate about assisting my clients realize and develop their strengths from the inside out!

Anonymous
It doesnt depend on when you cut yourself, but more on if you cut yourself. The only difference you can take is by looking at the depth of the wounds and in what of situation you are most likely to self-harm.
Anonymous
In my honest. Self harm is self harm. It's a self expression of a certain emotion. But you are only a self harmer for as long as you harm yourself.
Anonymous
It doesn't, any form of self harm counts and any period of time does too. It still counts if you didn't do it for long.
RememberYouAreNotAlone
In my opinion there is no definitive definition for self harming, therefore there are no guidelines or certain aspects that will make a person "qualified" to say that they self-harm(ed). Now that I have said that, any scar or mark that a person has that is the product of self harming carries a story, feelings, emotions, tears, etc. Therefore there are no guidelines that you have to reach to be a self harmer so no, cutting for a while then stopping does not make you less of a self harmer or less of a survivor.
BasilAngel
It makes you a self-harmer, but one who stopped. So like a former self-harmer which is something you can be proud of for stopping. As much as it may embarrass you or make you feel bad that it was in your past, the fact that it's your past not present is an accomplishment you can love yourself for.
CrypticCoty
August 3rd, 2016 6:12am
yes, because once you've cleared that battle, you're free. no more pain. no, because you could always go back to it. it's not a bad thing, it's a way people take the pain away.
Anonymous
August 3rd, 2016 10:30am
no but the fact that you stopped within a few months is something to be extremely proud of most people dont get to say that
glisteningEyes
No, It does not make you less of a self harmer, I used to try and make myself believe the same thing, you are very brave for stopping but I also want to clarify that it is also perfectly okay if you relapse because that is sometimes part of the recovery process. You are strong and you can fight this
Anonymous
No it doesn't,. The moment you purposly harm yourself you are considerd a 'self harmer' but If anything it makes you a stronger person because alot of people struggle to stop so im proud of you
Sparklies
You stop being a self-harmer the second you stop hurting yourself and allow yourself to get better and heal :)
Grangs
No because you were still intentionally hurting yourself, it does not matter how long you were doing it.
Anonymous
It doesn't really matter. What matters is that you have stopped after only a few months, which is good.
Anonymous
Well you have practiced in self harm to get rid of pain you might have been feeling, so I would say that you were a self-harmer, but you aren't a self-harmer if you've stopped.
Anonymous
Not at all. No longer engaging in self harm is fantastic, but it doesn't mean that it isn't still a part of you. "Only a few months" is still an important time in your life. Use whatever label you would like, and congrats on stopping the harmful behavior
Anonymous
Any amount of hurting yourself makes you a self-harmer. One cut, one anything, if it causes you pain, makes you a self-harmer. You don't need to let that define you in anyway, however. You are not a slef harmer if you stop.
Anonymous
No because you chose to do this to your self and the amount of time has no affect on it . But you stopping does show your strength and that should be commended but you are still who you and the label of self harmer shouldn't be something that you think highly of.
Anonymous
No self harm is self harm no matter 1 day of doing it or 1 year of doing it, no matter 5 cuts or 5 hundred, no matter 5 burns or 5 hundred, no matter so deep you need stiches or so shallow it barely harms you its self harm.
PhoenixFoxTail
No. Self-harm is self-harm, and you need to seek help immediately, or permanently break the habit of self-harming yourself.
Molentra
I don't think so, since cutting isn't the only self-harm method and the urge can come back. I only cut for a few weeks and then stopped, but I still got urges over two years later and I still struggle with other self-harm methods. I think it's less about the method or amount of time and the fact that you have that habit/attitude.
Littlecoffee
I believe that's the first step. If one can stop self harm for a while, it is likely that he or she has the potential to overcome it once and for all. It takes effort to take such a step and effort is what a person needs when dealing with psychological problems.
bokchoi
No, it's common to go through bouts of self harm then go clean for a bit. It still means that you have a problem and should seek help.
WarriorDreams
This is definitely an interesting question. A similar question can be used with drug addicts as an example. If I use heroin for only a few months and stopping does that make me any less of a heroin addict? As a former cutter my answer is no. Cutting is an addiction like alcohol and cigarettes are addictions. It is a way to cope when we feel the pain inside is too much to handle and we need to inflict pain on the outside to balance it and numb it. Its an addiction because It works and it damages your ability to cope healthfully and expressively over time. Seek help and support. This can be stopped and there are better ways of managing that wont feel so isolating.
Countrygal92
No, self harm is self harm no matter how you dress it, however breaking free of that cycle of self harm is extremely difficult and if you've been able to accomplish that you should be proud. It takes great strength to overcome that cycle of self harm and even more to continue overcoming it, and that is a victory.
Michalla
I think it doesn't. Because cutting yourself is not making you a worst person, of someone weaker, weird or anything like that. You can't be more self-harmer or less self-harmer. Yes, you've cut yourself a couple of times but the important thing is that you were able to stop. That's the only thing that counts.
RaCat
Everyone who cuts are concided as self-harmer, but the fact you was able to stop means you are really strong and you have control on your life! Personally, I don't think that it makes you any less of self-harmer but since you stopped and are self harm free, you are formal, not active, self harmer.
michelle2000
Of course not. The rules are simple; if you harm yourself, then you are a self-harmer. It doesn't matter how often you do it or how many cuts you make. If you ever self harm, then you are a self-harmer.
Anonymous
There is no scale of self-harm degree that I am aware of, but if anything, it makes you extremely strong for being able to stop
WendyBird15
No, being a self-harmer is way of coping with emotions so if you cut for only a few month and then stop it is no worse or better than some than does it regularly, however it is still a form of coping and can return at anytime and you can talk to your healthcare provider or find other resources on ways to better manage your emotions.
caringdaisy
No it doesnt. No matter how many times you hurt yourself, it is still bad and is self harm. You should find alternatives to cutting such as drawing on yourself, using ice or rubber bands.
SunnyQ
What ever you do to hurt yourself is consider a self-harm.. Doesn't matter how, doesn't matter how long it's been.