Does self harming make me unimportant?

Sarah Macedo, LICSW

I will meet you where you are at, listening with no judgement. Helping you find a path where you find improved functioning and getting 'unstuck'.

heycrysteezy
ABSOLUTELY NOT! Don't ever, EVER think that because you have fallen into self harm that you are unimportant in the slightest. Easier said than done. Regardless, you are still a person, and you have feelings. You can still feel, and love, and cry. You are no less important than anyone else around you.
Anonymous
No, self-harm does not make you unimportant. You are a very important human being, and self-harming does not make you worth any less than someone who doesn't self-harm.
MoodyBloom
I think there are millions of things that make you important. A quote from doctor who "You know that in nine hundred years of time and space and I've never met anybody who wasn't important..." I think that means a lot, because I may not be nine hundred years old, but in the time I have been alive, I have never met an unimportant person.
Sydneyaustraliaaa1295
Absolutely not. Self-harming makes you a self-harmer, nothing else. You are not less of a person for doing so. Self-harmers have reasons for what they do and even though it is not healthy, it does not make you unimportant.
iolaus
The Doctor once said, "You know that in nine hundred years of time and space and I've never met anybody who wasn't important." I'm not sure if words from a fictional character can aid you in this time of self-doubt, but they helped me a lot. Self-harm is a symptom, a sign of the intense pain trapped inside of us, and when we harm ourselves we're seeking relief from those emotions. We want a release. I believe that every human being deserves a shoulder to lean on and an ear to listen. We are all deserving of respect and kindness. All of us are equal in importance. You matter. You are important to the world and, although you do not know who I am, to me.
Anonymous
No.
5ense
Not at all. You are just as important as anyone else who has ever lived. Don't underestimate yourself, you're wonderful.
ZRUTokimeki
No, it does not make you unimportant at all! Everyone is very important! Self harming is only a coping skill to deal with the pain, even though it is not a positive one (:
Anonymous
June 22nd, 2015 6:45am
No, self harm does not make you unimportant. Self harm is not a great thing, but you're still valued and you're still worth everything.
Anonymous
No it doesn't. Its just my way of fighting the demons that I'm struggling with. Its because I don't have friends and I'm sick of keeping everything I side. Self harm is the way of taking out my frustrations.
SaraMichelle
Not one bit. I feel as if all of our battles, even though sometimes unique, are very important at all times.
becauseimhere
No! Self harming does not make you unimportant. Everyone is important, regardless what they do/have done.
Anonymous
February 1st, 2016 9:54pm
No no no not at all! Self harm does not make you unimportant-- It just means you need help from a trust worthy adult so you don't hurt your self anymore
Sotiris
No! Self harming is symptom of other psycho issues! Every people by it self is important! You should find where you are succesfull or what makes you feel important!
Ayeeitsbrii
Of course not there is no reason out there especially self harm that will make you unimportant. Nobody in this world is unimportant god put us on this earth for a reason and that being said everyone on this earth is VERY important. Don't ever think you are unimportant even when times like now are hard. Your family and friends will never think you are unimportant even if you think you are right now. Everything will get better.
Anonymous
Self harm does not make you unimportant. If anything, it makes you more important. Everyone deserves certain love, kindness, respect, and compassion. Self harm just means that you have been deprived of those types of rights and you are tired of it.
Melody293
In no way does self-harming make you unimportant. Despite anything you may do you are always an important, lovable individual in this world. I urge you to reach out for professional help or to call a hotline is you are self harming. But please don't ever feel like self-harming invalidates you. You are a brave individual and you are just as important as everyone else.
Alexisheretohelpyou2
Absolutely not! Self harming is a mechanism when what you feel is too much for you to bare. Self harming happens when people don't know what to do with their emotions or just bored as well. Today, I had a relapse of self harm for the first time in over 2 weeks. The reason I mention that is because I want you to know that you're not alone. Self harming does NOT make you unimportant; if anything, it makes you more important. (*hugs*) I'm so sorry that you had to result to self harm, and if you want, all you have to do is send me a personal request @alexisheretohelpyou2 I know I might not get back to you immidately, but you won't be ignored, and I'll get to you as soon as I can! I'm sorry, and I can only imagine what you're going through, but you are not unimportant, you are strong, and very important. -Alex
HereToHelpYou742
No its always important. Its saying there is a problem and that's how you are coping. Its not the healthiest way to cope. Start therapy and find different ways to cope
Anonymous
No! Nothing would ever make anyone unimportant. Everyone matters and always will. To self harm is to feel that you don't matter to yourself or anyone else, or to want to mean more than what you do now. "Unimportant" is not a word that should ever be used to describe a human being, especially after they've self harmed.
Anonymous
no. but when you hurt yourself, it means you treat yourself as if you are unimportant but in reality, you are not, nobody is.
Evexx
No, but you are important in your very own way :) Please, don't harm yourself, it'll only bring sorrow! Be happy with who you are, and don't let people bring you down, you're special and you matter.
Anonymous
February 22nd, 2018 3:00am
Self harm is simply just a coping skill, it doesn't make you unimportant. You are important no matter what you are going through
Gracey
No definitely not, self harm is a coping mechanism and that does not make you any less important than anyone else
Anonymous
Not at all! your worth is not defined by self-harm. Self-harm is a sign that you're in a lot of pain, and pain doesn't make you unimportant. You deserve love, help, and support, and I encourage you to seek it out as soon as you can. But for now, don't forget that you are valid and you are important.