Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How can I find a doctor or therapist who's knowledgeable about self-harm?

18 Answers
Last Updated: 02/27/2018 at 12:41am
1 Tip to Feel Better
United States
Moderated by

Jackie Dross, M.S. Community Counseling


I have a passion for working with people from a non-judgmental, strengths based approach to meet their goals for personal growth.

Top Rated Answers
November 3rd, 2014 1:02am
Great question! Luckily there are plenty of resources that can help you find specialists for self-harm. This website can help you find ones near you:
September 25th, 2014 8:08pm
The best thing to do is speak to your local GP - that way they can refer and give you the names/numbers of other doctors or therapists in your local area who you can speak to. Also, you can do a search online, but this could be a little riskier.
November 16th, 2014 3:46pm
I think the best way to go about that would to call some of your local agencies, and ask about it. If no one in your area is able to help with that, you can go online and google some other places nearby that helps with that as well. :)
June 21st, 2016 12:44pm
Maybe you know someone who struggles with self-harm, too and who can recommend a therapist? There are also counseling centers in many cities who advise people with such problems, you could ask there for a recommendation, too. Or is there a family doctor or any other physician you trust and dare to ask? You could also write an email or call offices near you and ask if they are experienced in dealing with self-harm (or you ask a friend to do that for you). Making the first move is always difficult, but you can do that!
October 23rd, 2014 2:01pm
Go to your GP. They will be able to refer you to a mental health team or therapist as needs be (UK).
November 9th, 2014 6:47pm
you can search the net or you can try visiting this site : its pretty good!!
November 15th, 2014 9:48am
You can do a Internet search in for professionals that specialize in self harm in your area and talk to your family doctor and other mental health professionals.
November 15th, 2014 5:09pm
Try searching for options on Google for the nearest therapist to you, you just might find one that way! They might list that they are knowledgable about self-harm.
November 18th, 2014 7:41am
Most doctors are trained with this knowledge, if you go to your local GP they'll be able to refer you to the require treatment. With self-harming they work on self-esteem, depression and self-harming as well as any other mental illnesses you may suffer from. In my personal experience therapy and counseling really helped me. (If your not comfortable with going to your GP, your school should have a school councilor or shrink.)
November 19th, 2014 9:54pm
If you web search it you can find good therapists by online recommendations. Maybe ask school counsellors or relatives.
December 24th, 2014 6:34pm
There are many groups, charities, phone lines and organisations that can help with feelings of depression, anger, anxiety and self injury; visit our links page for some further web sites, and our publications page for further information. One of the first places you can go for help is your GP Doctor. you might not feel easy about visiting your GP; you might worry about your scars and just finding the words to discuss self-injury. If you want NHS help, we've got some ideas about how to get what you need and want. Your GP is not a specialist, such as a psychologist or a psychiatrist, but they do have the power and knowledge to refer you directly to a specialist to help you with your self-injury and the associated feelings. It can feel like a big step, talking to your Doctor. It does take a certain amount of courage to discuss your feelings with anyone. The good news is that you do not have to go into detail about your mental or physical condition with your Doctor. If you have a good relationship with your Doctor, then you may feel comfortable coming straight out with it and explaining that you rely on self injury to help you cope, but if you don't feel confident enough to discuss your SI, then you don't have to.
December 28th, 2014 5:44pm
In my country(India), one can get information regarding such doctors from the health centres spread across each district.
January 3rd, 2015 3:56am
You can find a doctor or therapist that's knowledgeable about self-harm by asking your family doctor. You can also find psychiatric services in your are and inquire about their services and what types of things they cover. Finding a good support may take time and research. A good way to find doctors and therapists is online. Often mental health type services will be posted online.
April 16th, 2015 12:30am
You can ask on your local hospital/central care just with a phonecall.. ask if there is a doctor available who can help you with that ;)
December 28th, 2015 9:04pm
search the web. or go to your local surgery and ask for recommendations. we have numbers and support groups here, feel free to take a look
February 2nd, 2016 2:45pm
Go to your GP (it is very confidential) and tell them your problem they will refer you to the right therapist/physiologist. It is important to seek help.
February 6th, 2018 7:44pm
Speak to someone you trust who may be able to help or talk to or use the internet to help find websites or people who can give you advice or information.
February 27th, 2018 12:41am
Search online for places close to you that specialize in self-harm an/or mental health.