How do I explain scars when a young child asks about them?

Melissa Hudson, MS Ed, PhD(c), LMFT

I work with clients of diverse backgrounds on a multitude of concerns. My approach is, at times, directive, yet always curious, nonjudgmental, collaborative, and validating.

NaomiDelle
Children are usually creative so telling them straight forward is not the best idea. Try something like "well you see, i was a soldier once and i got through a really big battle and here are my battle scars". The metaphor for this is you, as a soldier in a war/battle (with yourself or the world around who brought you in the state of self harm) and the battle scars which are showing that you were at a bad time in your life but you got through it and now you're healing. I find this method very effective. Kids usually don't ask any more questions after you tell them that. I hope this helps
gloriousNight84
I was badly hurt there and there but as you can see I healed, but it will just allways be visible, so nothing to fear. Isn't it great that we heal?
Anonymous
Personally, with children at such a young age as elementary school, I would not explain the scars to them. At least, I wouldn't say that the scars were self-inflicted because at the age, as you said, they could be disturbed by it or it could influence them in certain ways. Children can be very suggestible about things. I simply don't think that age group can comprehend what mental illness is about and they wouldn't be able to understand why someone would hurt themselves. At least in my opinion.
Lisax
Scars are tattoos with a story behind them. Never be afraid of them, they aren't ugly. Don't make fun of anyone if they have any on their face or body. They symbolize bravery. We've all got them : for some they're visible on their body while for others they are invisible to others but yet, emotionally exist and can be felt by the person himself,
UntilThen
Tell them that they're from a battle you won. That is really what they are and it's good to get kids in that mindset. Be proud.
Anonymous
Sometimes its better to keep the real reason secret infront of children,they are innocent,their world is beautiful,no one has the right to destroy it with dark thoughs,so just tell them that you have had an accident
moonchild29
They're signs of survival. I fell, I hurt, then I healed. The wound may or may not leave a scar. It's good when they heal completely, but it's not always the case, sometimes we just have to wear the scars proudly because it means we've survived.
MikeyK
This is a tricky question, as it depends on the child and situation. You may be able to get away with saying 'a cat scratched me' or simply by saying that the scars are very old and you don't remember how you got them. You can also go about this in a different way and say that the scars are natural; that they happen when the skin breaks, but they heal up after some time. In my personal opinion, young children don't need to know the real reason behind the scars they ask about.
Teasile
Make up a funny story. Or make up a educational story for them so they are not frightened. For example you could try to explain it to your best abilities.
Anonymous
Frankly I have never been in such situations. But once my younger brother saw them and told mom that my hand was hurting. So that time I got around to thinking what should I say if he ever asked about them. We are supposed to tell the truth - I was hurting and I left marks on my self to remind myself that I never want to feel like that ever again.
miraculousBeauty49
It depends on how open you are about your scars. Some people say they were in an accident or some people say they are battle scars. Find whatever term you feel comfortable with.
Anonymous
This is a hard question. It really depends how much you want a kid to know. A lot of small children will be satisfied with "Oh, nothing" (I worked in a daycare over the summer), but some of them won't be. Your best bet is making something up. Kids won't understand self-harm, so give them something they will. "Scratches" or "I got hurt" will usually be enough.
Millichidulinas
If you want to tell the real reason of them you have to say it in an easy way. If you want to tell him/her somethin else, like an accident, you can.
Anonymous
I wouldn't explain exactly what it is because it is a young child but if it were me, I would say that I got scratched by a cat or I fell..I used to be a cutter myself...and I have all kinds of scars on my body to prove it...and I couldn't traumatize a child like that..They don't understand how cruel the world can be yet...So I would just make up a silly explaination.
ameliaglazner
Explain it like this "it's a wound from a war I once fought alone" and since it's a kid they might not fully grasp what ur saying but u can then say "it's a sign of victory or hope"
SympatheticPrune2001
You could say you tripped over, you don't have to tell a young child the entire truth. It would be best not to.
Anonymous
Childs are likely to try and do the same thing you did, by curiosity, I wouldn't recommend telling the truth, especially for younger ones, tell them : ''my cat accidently scared my arm'' or ''I fallen from my bike''
NyxCain
Sometimes it's better telling kids that everyone has some scars from various different events in their lives. If you use a vague enough answer they usually won't ask about it again.
SoothingSavannah
You could say these are my stripes, like the ones tigers have. Tigers gain them after battles like I do.
LucieG
Say they are a map, showing the path you took to become the strongest person you can be. Scars are reminders of how far you have come
AprylFools
This is a hard thing to explain, but what you can do is reassure them that they're normal. Try breaking it down into little sections, start with explaining how they occur. Reassure them that they are natural.
rosarugosa
When my godson enquired about my old scars I told him I fell, i was hurt, but now I have healed, isnt that great!
torithepoet
Explaining scars to a young child is always tough. But what i normally do is tell them that i fought a fight with something and won.
Anonymous
You could always just say they're battle scars, something that happened when you went through "a hard time", etc etc.
emitlove
"Well, I used to be in a very bad place and deal with really bad sadness and anger. But these scars are a reminder that I'm no longer in a bad place, and that I'm doing a lot better!"
CallMeMatheus
I once read a story of this girl who was babysitting these kids. They saw her scars and asked what they were. She told them they were her battle scars and she fought very hard and bravely to keep from getting more.
NumberEleven
Tell them that you went to war and that these scars are the little medals that the kings/queens have awarded you for your bravery.
LovableGeek16
When a kid asks me about mine, I tell them I they're battle scars. Its not a lie and also isn't too much for a young child to handle.
Joner2016
You can tell them the reason why it happened and tell them. How it will stay for long... Or maybe for a lifetime.
comfortingEmbrace38
This is a very tough one, I'll admit. What I tend to do is explain how we get scars when we get hurt, then say that a long time ago I was very hurt because I was very mean to myself. I explain that I had to learn to love myself and take care of myself and then I stopped getting scars. I don't go into too much detail because I feel like it's not necessary., Maybe everyone has a different response, but that's how I handle it.