How do I help my girlfriend that self harms?

Brittany Kelley, MSW, LCSW

I am a psychodynamically trained clinical social worker. I find assisting women and families through difficult times an extremely rewarding and collaborative process.

SunshineNaina
Hi. It is really good to know that you are willing to help your girlfriend. Your girlfriend might be going trough a lot and it's commendable of you to be such a support. You can talk to your girlfriend and tell her about your willingness to help her. You can try to know what works for her when she has the tendency to self harm or is she seeking any professional help. You can also go through self help guides or any other informative resources on self harm and can suggest ways to her, if she is unaware about it. You can help her to keep a track on any of the steps that she is undertaking. Also, you being there for her and supporting her emotionally is a help in itself.