How should I talk to someone who might be at risk if committing self-harm or suicide?

Lisa Meighan, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

annpaints
Stay calm! Don't let their emotions get to you. Let them know that you're someone they can depend on, but also keep in mind that from the overwhelming emotions they feel at the moment and with everything they have to handle, they're unreliable narrators of their own story. Listen to them and try to understand where they're coming from, but keep in mind that if your gut feeling is telling you that what they're saying or doing is dangerous, you're probably right. Talk to them normally and calmly, but make sure they're getting help, even if they insist that they don't need any.
YellowAngelEyes
Offer them as much support as possible, don't leave them alone, and ensure there is nothing around them they can use to self-harm or commit suicide.