I bite my arms and legs when I am angry. I have a lot of bruises sometimes it bleeds when I bite but, I can't stop myself. I don't know how to stop myself from biting myself. Is there any way to stop?

Amy Green, MA; LMFT

I am a Licensed Marriage Family Therapist in the state of California and Oregon. I've been in private practice for 10 years and have been in the counseling field for 15 years.

silverHeart49
Hello, I understand you and it must be difficult for you. Well done for recognising what you are doing. It's a great idea to build up a list if coping skills for when you feel like you want to harm yourself. Here are some great ideas: rubbing cold ice on your arms, legs etc, pinging an elastic band, eating salt, or something minty and drinking a super fizzy drink and focussing on the bubbles. Some of these sounds silly but anything to give you a strange sensation will take away the urge to harm yourself in a way that could potentially be dangerous for you. Good luck! You are amazing and strong, Its a bad day, week or month but it is not a bad life!.