I harm myself on purpose. I never do it because I need to cope, I do it because I like the pain and like to have something on my body. I know I should stop, but I don't want to. Why is that?

Tara Davis, Doctorate in Counselling Psychology

I have worked successfully with a wide range of difficulties. Nothing is more important than developing a warm, compassionate relationship with someone you can trust

Theserainydays
There's actually a biological/hormonal reason for this. When you experience pain, your body releases endorphins that make you feel good and lessen the hurt/fear/stress that comes with the pain. You can also trigger an endorphin rush through exercise or laughter or riding a rollercoaster--things that make you feel satisfied or excited. But sometimes it seems like self-harm is an easy shortcut to that happy feeling. The problem is that self-harm can be addictive, and it can escalate. And instead of learning healthy coping mechanisms, you come to rely on this shortcut to feel good. It's like a drug addiction, in a way.
Bluewolf1229
I get Tattoos when i feel like i want to self harm. yes im pretty much covered but i wont cut artwork.. This has helped me alot to stop self harming.
RaCat
It seems that you are having self harm addiction based on pain. Some people just get addicted to hurting themselves as it makes them feel like they have fully control in them life but it's really important to remember that there is a way better things to do than to hurt yourself. Hurting yourself don't lead you anywhere it just leaves the scars on your body. Maybe you feel like you like them now but it would make you feel bad afterwards in your life.
Anonymous
You don't want to stop because it's an addiction and you've been doing it for so long that you have a routine when you feel a certain emotion then you will want to self harm.
Anonymous
A lot of people feel the same way! If you just want the pain then here's my advice: Run. Run as hard as you can, as fast as you can, for as long as you can. That will give you the pain without it being unhealthy. And since you want something on your body? Either get a tattoo or draw with pens on your skin. Those are just a few things that help me.
cheerfulFireworks43
You don't want to stop because has become a habit. I suggest you get help from a licensed therapist
Anonymous
It's because self harm is an addiction like any other. It takes a lot of self control to stop and maybe you're not ready yet.
Anonymous
Because you don't think you have better options. But you do. There's always a better option than hurting yourself.
Anonymous
I can't tell you for 100% sure but is it possible you just feel like you've gotten use to doing it almost as if it's become a habit? What I can suggest about the idea of liking to have something on your body is maybe just drawing. It would be less harmful. As for liking pain, perhaps squeeze a few ice cubes in your hand?
Anonymous
The reason that you don't feel like stopping is because self-harm is an alternative coping method. Your mind sees the self-harm as something positive since it's giving a temporary release of all of your thoughts which makes you feel better. Self harm also releases endorphins in the brain just like any other time you feel pain. These hormones are natural opiates and work to ease the pain and makes you feel better - this is usually what gets people addicted and not able to stop.
SquishyRaspberries
Some people have an attraction or fascination with pain and marking one's body. This is often seen with people who get tattoos and piercings (not saying you have to like pain to get those, of course). Obviously it's not healthy to be harming yourself and you should seek help about that or attempt to replace it with safer substitute behaviors.
freshFriend18
we can get as addicted to pain as we can to pleasure. We get comfortable, this is human nature whether it is bad or good for us we get use to our environment
MishyFishy13
If you self-harm, even if there isn't a specific reason for it, it slowly becomes an addiction. This is mostly because, for some, the pain can have a rewarding effect on the brain, which makes you want to do it more and, you don't want to stop.
Marvelousky19
This is called addiction. You start doing something repeatedly because you enjoy it. Like drinking or smoking. And it is very difficult to get rid of such situations. You cannot stop even if you want to because you like doing it and you know no such method which can help you prevent this. You can put your agression and pain into other too then your body. Try scatching or drawing on a paper hard or writing your feelings out and then destroying it afterwards. Also try to calm yourself by meditating. You need to stop hurting your body. It will get you nowhere
KaelaMi16
Maybe because the pain from harming yourself is blocking pain from other events or situations. It helps you feel that nothing can make you feel pain other than harming yourself.
spectacularmemory
I think you have a Low self esteem and are taking out your anger on yourself by hurting yourself. You should definitely consider consulting a professional Therapist. I completely understand what you’re going through because I have been through something very similar. Please do try to talk about it personally to someone. Trust me, it helps and is necessary for a recovery. You will get better, really. You just need to reach out to someone and realise that you’re not alone in this. We’re all here to help you and care for you. It’s amazing that you’re sharing your issue here !
Bobofromnl
There a lots of different reasons why someone might self harm. Some do it too cope, so because they feel they deserve to be in pain and some because they enjoy the pain. Often the pain we create by self harming causes our body to release endorphins, these feel really good and can often feel like taking a drug. Obviously self harming is never a good thing and you should always try to stop. These endorphins might be the only way a person can still feel happy or pleasure and this makes it really hard to stop. Talk to a professional for coping strategies or try to find some healthier alternatives like eating something spicy or the rubber band method. Sometime eating something like chocolate which also releases endorphins in your body can also really help as stupid as it sounds. Just no that although you should try and stop self harming you are not broken or defective as a person. Your just dealing with something in an unhealthy way and there are loads of people who can help you with that!
Anonymous
I used to be like that, however I learned that I needed to stop for the sake of my life and my friends. I ended up just getting addicted to self-harming even though I knew it was bad.
Anonymous
You are either a sadist or you don't have respect for your body. You need to figure out why you are abusing the body that protects you. It seems that you may have underlying issues. Please seek help or at the very least; speak with a listener.
Shinyshayla123
You may not want to stop because by harming yourself you are feeling something - maybe try a different method in which you get the same satisfaction but one that is not putting yourself at risk such a flicking a rubber band against your wrist each time you feel the urge to harm
0nigiri
I completely understand that as I'm in a similar situation myself, I'd suggest either having someone you could always talk to about this or perhaps even getting professional help.
PinkButterfly30
Because you are so use to hurting your self that its a normal reaction for you to hurt your self, you need to attend help so you can stop.
hannathehero
I can relate having come over this myself. It's truly an addiction, you re getting high off it, that's why you don't want to stop. It takes time, and it will be like a withdrawal. I suggest you get some help, this is not something you can do alone. Support especially through a time like this is so important. I wish you good luck and I know you can do this.
amazingJoy168
Maybe talking to a therapist may help you with this issue. You may feel like you deserve this cause you dont have control over other parts of your life so you use this to control to pain you feel
FrenchThea
When it was like that for me, i did it just to feel something, and feel alive, and the feeling of not being alone. I have alternative ways now. It helps.
Anonymous
You may be using pain as a form of punishment which is very common. I'd suggest weening off of it by delaying the pain then by stopping all together. You could when you want to hurt something, punch pillows or if you want something on your body, doodle on your arms but it really depends on you as an individual and what would help you.
Latinab3lla1
Because when you cut it takes away or covers the real issue or pain we can not deal with.Love yourself
TheTripleS719
Cutting is an addiction. Seeing your scars is tragically beautiful to you, whether you see it like that or not. Addictions are hard demons to fight; but with the right weapons, they can be defeated.
SympatheticPrune2001
Self harmers often feel the need to stop, but they do not because they like the pain and they feel good after harming.
Hayles0111
Self harming is addictive. When you harm yourself a rush of adrenaline pumps through your body giving you thishould excitement and lack of pain. It's a cycle that's hard to get out of. Seek professional advice and search for alternatives to self harm