I harm myself on purpose. I never do it because I need to cope, I do it because I like the pain and like to have something on my body. I know I should stop, but I don't want to. Why is that?

Ann Brooks, MSW, LICSW

Thank you for your interest! I am a LICSW licensed in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I’m here to listen and I look forward to working with you.

imalovesyou
Maybe it's because the pain gives you an ignition, and makes you feel alive. You may think that you are harming for no reason, but it seems as if you're harming because it's the only pain you can manage and control
MuniraDhamani
There are multiple reasons why we harm ourselves the top on the list is self pity and care a damn attitude. Why you don't want to stop is because this shows you in power and no one can take that away from you. You will when you find a way to love yourself and not depend on others to love you.
Anonymous
Self Harm is dangerous on itself as everytime you do it you may experience a feel of relieve/joy, therefore the need to repeat it grows everytime. One way to cope with the need to selfharm is to consider, do I need to sel harm? and, Do I need to self harm right now? Can I wait to do it 10 minutes, 15 minutes? Try to hold the need to do it a little longer each time and it's really useful to not put yourself in places/situations that could get you in a situation to more likely do it.
Akor1
In my experience, wanting that pain was a distraction from my real life issues. I also knew that I "should" stop, but I didn't think I "needed" to stop. I didn't/couldn't admit that I had A Lot of underlying issues that needed to be dealt with before I could even try stopping.
QuietlyBurningCandle
Although you might feel that you are not harming yourself to cope with current situations in your life, your desire to hurt yourself might still have a reason, at least in my experience, although this reason might be a much harder to perceive underlying psychological or mental health issue that you are coping with by hurting yourself. Alternatively, your experience might also stem from a possible addiction that can be caused by the rush of endorphins after a physical injury.
Anonymous
When you harm yourself and its not to cope, it may be because you feel the emotional need to, like maybe people at school or work make you feel that way, a good way to stop is drawing or painting
Anonymous
it is addictive and psychologically calms you even if you don't feel like so. another alternative for some people could be getting many tattoos or piercings, also drugs. things like sleep deprivation have similar effects. even if one knows it is bad, they feel lured into it, maybe even trapped or it could just be satisfying
Anonymous
The act of self-harm works like taking drugs. We temporarily suspend reality when we do it and when we anticipate doing it. We compartmentalise the reality in which we don't want to do it and the one in which self-harm provides solace. There's nothing more to it really..
jxpiter
I'm sorry you feel this way. I think (I don't know it for sure because I'm not a professional) it's because you need to feel the pain somewhere. And you became used to seeing your scars on your arm/leg etc. and you miss them when they're gone. I don't know if this answers your question. If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to send me a message.
Anonymous
Sometimes it's easy to get addicted to something like that. I understand. I've been there myself. After you get a taste of what it feels like when you're feeling down you can't stop even when you're feeling fine. I can't tell you why myself, but I can tell you that I understand. And I can guarantee you I'm not the only one who does. Self harm is an addiction and a disease and should be treated as such. Find something you love, something to live for, and hold on to that with all your might. You have to want to get to better. Healing is a process, but it is well worth it. It won't be easy, but it's not impossible. Keep fighting.
Anonymous
Self harm isn't something that sound make a person feel better. From my experiences, I've done it because I felt that I didn't deserve anything. Stopping self harm could be a big turning point in someone's life. It might be hard, but you know it's right. You know that what you are doing doesn't benefit you or anything. Continuing will just make your urges stronger. If self harm is what makes you feel better, I recommend you find a substitute for harming yourself, maybe a stress ball:)
peacefulOrange59
February 23rd, 2017 8:27pm
self harm has been known to have addictive qualities and people can become attached to the feelings after self harming. you may have used it once or twice as a coping mechanism however now that you no longer need to you still subconsciously feel an attachment to the feeling it gives you. it may also be that you have formed a comforting habit and the self harm is what comforts you right now, it can be hard to break away from habits that provide us with comfort.
Anonymous
You don't have anything else to turn to. You choose feel pain because you want to feel anything but numb. You convince yourself that it is no longer something that you can live without. You go to pain because feeling pain is better than not feeling at all.
Anonymous
Sometimes even though we don't think self harming is a coping mechanism, it always is in some way. The feeling of pain or seeing blood still triggers a euphoric emotional release in our brains whether there's a purpose behind why we self harm or not.
Anonymous
It's often associated with relief or a sense of freedom. It can be quite addicting to have this pain and can become a habit, even if you don't really feel there is a reason for it.
Anonymous
I know that the pain caused in your body numbs the emotional one and it becomes an addiction because your body releases endorphins which creates the feeling of pleasure, but there are other ways people can let the steam go off, sleeping it off, go out and take deep breaths as you feel the air in your face and through your lungs will help you feel better. But mostly realizing that hurting yourself and causing you pain isn't the answer, and when you get through it, and you will, the scars and marks will be there to either remind you of how brave and strong you are at the moment or to make you feel guilty that you didn't realize sooner how worthy your life is.
PatchieBug
This may sound weird... I have realized about myself. That I was self harming for attention. I liked the attention people gave me when they learned about my scars
Anonymous
It sounds like a form of control. SOmetimes when we lose control or feel that we have no control over our lives or what happens in our lives we find solutions, situations that we can manipulate and control to give us a sense of power over our lives
softPotato0522
It's addicting, I know. The reason is because you have come to believe that the harm you are doing to yourself is actually helping your body regain feeling. A way that I would recommend to quit, is whenever you feel the urge to harm yourself, draw something beautiful in the spot instead. It can be butterflies, lines, anything! Hope I was helpful!
LinearWaves
When self-harming, endorphins are released. They are neurotransmitters which lessen the pain and give pleasant feelings, this is one of the scientific reasons that make pain likeable. Hurting also is a way to dissociate and focus on something else, something we're in charge of and having traces of it on my body reminds me of that. Although slef-harming needs to be replaced with a healthier coping mechanism when the person is ready to take this step, which is challenging for sure. Getting a tattoo could also help having something on your body, maybe someday I'll take this step and get one.
Anonymous
The body becomes addicted to self harm because it releases adrenaline and dopamine (chemicals that make you feel energized and happy) when you see wounds or feel pain. However, I would advise seeking professional help for this since there may be other underlying causes. Stay safe.
oncewasastruggler
There are many reasons why people self harm. Even if you are not trying to cope with any pain, or are not enduring any pain, cutting reacts the same way - the release of those endorphins make you feel better, even if you already felt good before. An addiction is an addiction, and you should reach out and find help for it, sooner than later before this becomes even more dangerous.
Anonymous
It may be that you are trying to release inner pain and that your scars remind you of your traumatic past
lilynoelle
Self harm becomes an addictive behavior quickly because it is such an intense feeling that people go to for various reasons. Even if you don't use it to cope, the intense sensation can be something you end up relying on if you like the way it feels.
SomerTheKechibi
Sometimes you can get addicted to causing yourself pain, I know because I did it as well. Its easy to get addicted to the pain and actually need it in your life. I used to need it so badly I would go insane without it but now I've learnt how to deal without it
Anonymous
That's something you like. Your body gets a rush if endorphins when you self harm. It makes you feel better. That's why you don't want to stop. Maybe it has even become an addiction. I know, for me, my anxiety chills out when I feel the cuts and the scabs. Even when it's not a coping method, you still need to get help! You don't need to do this alone anymore my friend! Reach out to someone! Whether it's in your real life, me, or any other listener who supports people struggling just like you. You are NOT alone. We are here. I am here :)
RoryBoutilierRPC
Some people who engage in self-harm often find a hard time identifying their reason. What we do know about self-harm is that people get a sense of reward, control, and addiction from doing it, so there is an underlying motivation to keep doing it. While the reason may not be to 'cope' in the typical sense (i.e., escaping negative thoughts or emotions), but rather coping with the negative thoughts and feelings of anxiety or lack of control that they experience. Talking with a counsellor or mental health professional can help get to the underlying thoughts and motivations for self-harm, and ultimately work through it and work towards recovery.
Sierralieb6500
You've developed a response to this pain. You've come to rely on this feeling to feel better. You need to find something else such as working out, playing a game, or listening to music in order to change this habit.
NordligSno
Self harming and/or cutting is a addiction. It releases adrenaline & dopamine (which are your 'feel good'/happy hormones) to compensate for the pain, and/or you might feel like you're lacking control in some areas of your life and you make up for it with selfharm as you chose the place & intensity of the pain. Please do yourself a favor and seek medical help for it, and if you absolutely need something on your body, why not be artistic and look up tattooing or similar?
Anonymous
It's something that isn't often talked about with self harm. I've been through this! In the end the healthy way to do it became to get tattoos because I could feel them on my body and they hurt a bit. Obviously this isn't a solution but it became something that I would allow myself to do instead of cutting, in the end after therapy I was able to stop the compulsions after using stickers I could pick off my skin.