I self harm because it validates my emotions which I have a hard time believing are real. How do I accept that I have a right to feel these emotions?

Australia

Catherine Davis, I aim to help you to beat your blues and to feel empowered. Fast and effective psychotherapy.

Therapist

Hello. I'm Catherine. I am a psychotherapist. It's my aim to help you beat your blues and to feel empowered.

Anonymous
from my experience you just need to remind yourself that everything will be okay and youre just doing this to validate pain, if you can remember that it is okay to feel pain internally while youre self harming then that can help, pain internally can feel like a huge burden as its unseen, you just need to remember to talk to people and to remind yourself what youre feeling is valid and okay. everyone has their own coping mechanism, self harm just happens to be one of the ones people invalidate, but its valid and youre valid, everything will get better