Is it normal to feel the urges to self-harm after you've stopped for months?

Lindsay Scheinerman, MA, LPC

My work with clients is to help them recognize and build on their strengths to find solutions for the conflicts presented in their lives.

Aprildays2432
Yes it is. But this is all part of the recovery process, I know it can be hard but fight these urges and don't let them undo all of your hard work
heatherh11
I believe so. Because self-harm releases endorphins which make you feel better instantly, your body sees them as a way to feel happy. Because it was a behavior that did something before, your body wants to do it again to feel better. Keep fighting!
Ashiya
It's very normal to feel urges to self-harm. Because self-harming may have made you feel alive or you miss that adrenaline. But other things in life can bring more adrenaline than this method.
goodvibes0331
yes, i was there. i did that. it's normal to feel the urge. but if you distract yourself, it quickly passes.
RecklessMinds99
Yes it is completely normal to have urges.
Anonymous
I would say that yes it is normal. Self harm is something you have to battle everyday so even after months of stopping it can be hard to not relapse. Although If you were feeling this way I would suggest trying to talk to someone.
EmpatheticFANDRAGON
Yes. There will always be relapses and relapse urges. The best things to do are call a friend, sqeeze some ice in your hand, and start doodling on the nearest possible surface. Use skin if you need. It's perfectly normal and it's ok if you give in every once in a while. It's part of the healing process.
Anonymous
Yes, self harm can be addictive and its a coping method we know might work for us to its normal to still have urges sometimes.
Anonymous
Yes it usually is specially if you self harmed for a long time or it became really bad. It stays with you.