Is it normal to self-harm simply because you're bored? (note: I self-harmed in the past because of depression, which is no longer relevant)

Kim Hughes, LCSW

It is my passion to help people through rough patches in life and those struggling with anxiety, depression, self-worth, and issues related to sexual orientation and identity.

BVBismycopingskill
Maybe this feeling of boredom is actually feeling numb? And not knowing what to do?
Anonymous
Yes, sometimes people use self-harm to get some sort of stimulation, feeling or distraction - the dull, endless routine can become tiring or boring and self-harm is used as a method to escape from it all.
Anonymous
If you have self harmed before because of depression, I understand if you self harm because you are bored. The reason you are self harming is because self harming is addictive just like drugs. It's hard to stop. Your bored, you cut. It's the only way you know.
aliceyu
I have self-harmed simply because I was bored before. I knew that I wasn't satisfied with my situation at the time, and self-harm was always an alternative to deal with stress. I wasn't motivated by guilt, grief, or numbness. In fact, I was stuck in a motivational void, and it just happened naturally to me.
Anonymous
No it is most certainly not normal to harm yourself when you are bored. Things like this can lead to serious matters that haven't even been addressed yet. Instead of harming yourself when you are simply bored, find an activity that you enjoy such as writing, coloring, watching tv, playing outside, playing sports, etc. Anything you can really do to get you to stop harming yourself
SparklyLadybug
Is it normal? Yes, I think so. It becomes your normal. Is it still something you should try to stop and find healthier ways to cope with your boredom? Totally.
rubya24
I don't think that is partially normal, I think there is some kind of underlying issue, maybe try talking to a friend or someone who knew you self harmed before about this
Anonymous
It is not normal, although you should not feel ashamed of it. I suggest seeking out help, such as a therapist, to try and discover if there is an underlying problem.
Anonymous
It is not unheard of for a person to self harm when bored. I have heard many people do such, though they regret it later.
RachxTheLight
June 22nd, 2015 1:40am
It is not normal to self-harm out of boredom. I think since you self-harmed in the past because of depression, your mind got used to doing it, so now it's using it as a way to release boredom.
helpfulSky25
While I know how engaging in selfharm may help you feel a momentary thrill or give you a feeling of control and relief, it also brings so many negative thoughts and feelings, not to mention physical scars. Hurting yourself won't give you a true feeling of well being, but seeking help and getting better sure will. It's never too late or too soon to find someone to talk to. Please, whenever you have that urge, reach out to someone who can make you feel comfortable and loved.
Ladylove1128
honestly it is completely normal to self-harm yourself because you may feel like you can't do anything with yourself.
Iauren
Since you had a history of self harm due to depression, for you to continue self harm out of "boredom" is due to you being used to the feeling that it gives you. It's one thing that you know and can control.
michelle2000
It depends on what you mean by bored. It is normal to continue self-harming after recovery if you had previously become addicted to harming yourself. But if you do it just because you're bored, that's not normal.
Myckenziek03
There have been times where I do self-harm, because it is like a friend to me. Maybe you are not just self-harming because your bored, maybe you are doing it because you find in comforting. Self-harm is something you can always turn to so you do it sometimes when you are not even depressed.
wolfdoglovesparx1
Normal? Maybe. I understand where you're coming from and might have a theory for it :) Since you've done self harm in the past, it might feel as part of your routine to self-harm. Self-harm is not necessarily due to any strong emotional trigger. Sometimes, the fact you brain craves an endorphin rush that it gets from self-harm can cause us to give into the need to self harm.
whitebutterfly11
I feel that is pretty normal. I often fine myself as well self harming when I am bored. Next time try to talk to someone instead of cutting when your bored. :)
RainDrops17
I would not describe self-harming while bored to be normal, no. Based on my personal experience with the matter I would suggest that you try to think deeper about why you are causing this harm to yourself.
Anonymous
I don't think so. I've been mad at myself in the past (we're talking like 7th grade) because I didn't study or an exam or I got like super low marks. I used to take a pencil and scratch my arm, but people started noticing it so I started doing it on my thigh instead. I stopped doing that now (obvi). I realized that if I cut, it's not helping me in any way. I shouldn't stay mad at myself for something I can no longer do anything about (unless I make a time machine and write correct answers but whatever). I am no longer in that way of thought anymore. And I'm proud of myself.
Anonymous
I think if you can still hurt yourself, either your self-esteem is not all recovered or you could have masochism. Either way I would recommend to inform a professional about it. Take care, please.