Is it still cutting if a blade does not draw blood but leaves a mark?

Parvathy Venugopal, MSc in Clinical psychology

Life is chaotic and you need to rest if you're tired. I am here to help you relax until you are ready to start over again.Your mental health is priority, so is your happiness.

Anonymous
It might seem logical to distinguish between the two - drawing blood or not drawing blood, but overall the problematic principle is the same - self injury. When engaging in these activities, one is intentionally causing their own pain and this is what needs to be addressed. Using self injury to externalize psychological pain is understandable but has a looped, damaging effect on self-esteem. It might seem to "release" the pain, but at the same time it reinforces an idea that a one is not worthy of healthy treatment. Perhaps the key would be to figure out positive, healthy ways of sublimating emotional difficulties - ones that reinforce your value and self worth
peacefulLight8704
Hey! I'm so, so sorry that you had to go through this. Any self harm is counted as self harm. I know how it can feel when you are caught up in the labels of it, and I have gone and do go through this too. It's not easy at all, on any single level. But, please do not worry about labels. Your problems are valid and important, regardless of how you or others refer to them and label or classify it. Please stay as safe as you possibly can, and highly consider reaching out to a friend about your self harm