Is someone who self harms also suicidal?

Italy

anna pavia, psicologa psychologist counselor

I feel my work as my personal mission and I love it. My work with clients is nonjudgmental, supportive. I am a very good listener. I use several approaches. Amo il mio lavoro.

Anonymous
They can be suicidal, but it doesn't necessarily follow. Self harm can mean that they are extremely sad and want someone to notice. They may have difficulty actually asking for help because they are ashamed or scared and the only way they can think of telling people is letting them notice that they hurt themselves. It's a cry for help not only by those who have lost all hope, but also from those who want their situation to get better but do not know how.
kusuma
Both clearly have troubled individuals, who are hurting. But in regards to the ending result, both scenarios are very different. One scenario describes self-harm while the other involves the taking of one’s life. Self-harm is thought to be directly linked with suicide but this isn't the case. The two are actually as different as night and day. Unfortunately the two oftentimes get grouped together because both are infliction of pain and sometimes people who begin with self-harm may later commit suicide. Generally people who self-harm do not wish to kill themselves; whereas suicide is a way of ending life. One significant difference between suicide and self-harm is intent. Simply put, a suicidal person sees no other way out and wants to end his or her life. People who are contemplating suicide are experiencing life stress and possibly depression in which they don't have an escape. Suicide is their attempt to escape pain and suffering, and not burdening loved ones any longer. Suicidal acts usually come from a place of hopelessness, depression and worthlessness.The underlying mindset between someone who is suicidal and someone who self-harms is very different. On the flip side, many people who self-harm view hurting themselves as a way of coping with life. In fact, for some, the self-infliction of pain reassures them they are still alive. This is especially true when they are experiencing emotional numbness or feeling disconnected with the world around them. Plus, self-harming can cause changes in the brain chemistry, which gives the effects of a "rush" and can easily become addictive and highly dangerous.
SydneySmiles
Typically, no. A lot of people have a hard time grasping this concept. Self harming is a form of coping. It's kind of like asking if an alcoholic is trying to kill themselves. That is not their intention. Sadly accidental suicides are quite common for those you self harm, but it doesn't mean that was there intent. I hope this helped clear things up.
Anonymous
Not necessarily. Plenty of people self harm without wanting to kill themselves; self harm isn't indicative that someone is suicidal. And someone can also be suicidal without self harming.
FlickeringCandle
Sometimes, but not always. Most of the time a self-harmer is just trying to cope, but has no intention of commiting suicide.
laurapb
It doesn't have to be suicidal too. Most of the times, the people who harm themselves, do it just because doing it makes them feel free in a way, it helps them get rid of pressure. But harming yourself doesn't change anything neither fix things, it's useless. The only that helps is changing manners, opening mind and starting to see the world differently. You are the only one in control of your acts and then only one that can take decisions to change your life.
Anonymous
They can be! I can't speak for everyone, but when I used to self harm I was also suicidal at the time!
erinberry53
Sometimes he or she who self harms is suicidal but not all of the time. Not everyone who cuts or hurts themselves nessecarily wants to end their life completely.
KatHellsing
No, usually not. Sometimes yes, though. Self-harm is getting temporary emotional relief through physical pain. Suicide is permanent. When its both, the person usually has something else wrong; like bullying, severe depression, eating disorders, exc. But both can be prevented through the right kind of help and support.
Anonymous
There is a fine line between self harm and suicidal. Self harming can coinside with people who like to feel the pain that they feel like they should. It doesn't always mean someone is also suicidal.
StayBrave
not particularly, a lot of people self harm as a stress reliever or just self harm because they arnt sure how to act out on their feelings.
LilyFlowers
I wouldn't say so, no. However they can accidentally end their own life. Not everyone who does it, wants to die. Some do it to gain relief, comfort and or punishment.
ThroughTheStorms
Not necessarily. Self-Harm is a coping mechanism. Suicide can be caused by anything, including self-harm, but not always!
Anonymous
Not necessarily. Self harm can sometimes be described as a way of hurting oneself without committing suicide, as it can provide a feeling of relief for the person.
beckaboo511
No. Just because someone wants to hurt themselves doesn't necessarily mean that they want to take their own life.
RoryBoutilierRPC
People who self-harm often have thoughts of suicide (lots of research and anecdotes to support this), but they rarely act on those thoughts. However, it is important to note that people who have attempted or completed suicide commonly have a history of self-harm. Recent theories suggest that self-harm acts as a sort of 'suicide alternative', and lets the person avoid the thoughts that are associated with self-harm and suicide. It is important to hear each person, as research is based on the majority of people, not the unique individual. If we fail to listen to the person who is struggling, we risk missing important information that could, quite literally, serve as a lifeline to that person. If there is any doubt, contact a mental health professional.
Anonymous
Just because you self harm, you aren’t necessarily suicidal. Many people self injure as a way to reduce stress, or to relieve pain. So, just because you may self harm, it doesn’t mean you’re suicidal.
Talk2Trentles
Not necessarily, people also self harm to meet desires of pleasure or also to seek out the attention and help of others. Self harm can be an expression of pain or even mental illness. This doesn't mean a person is also suicidal
JosJolly98
Sometimes. People cut for different reasons, it might be for attempting to kill themselves or just a release, either way you should refer them to the suicide hotline for help as it's still dangerous for them.
EmmaRose13
No, someone who self harms does not also have to be suicidal. Often, self harmed is viewed as more of a "cry for help" rather than suicidal tendencies. I have dealt with both self harm and suicidal tendencies before, and the feelings did not always overlap or even correlate.
Octoberfirefly
Not necessarily. Sometimes self harm just serves as a 'relief' of some sort for certain people. So even if they're not in a good place, doesn't mean they feel suicidal.
illbebyyourside1
Not always. Self harm its not a form of suicide, it's a form of letting the pain go away. But it can become a vicious, it's why this is so dangerous.
SpasticQueen
Not necessarily. I've known several people that have self harmed, but were completely against suicide. Its common that people self harm because the physical pain distracts them from the emotion pain.
Thereforyou
yes a person who self harm is also suicidal as at the extreme conditions they prefer dying to further selfharm
Gemma8483
No, they can be but often aren't. Most people who self harm do so to help them cope with their life, and not to end it.
Jawhitby
No, people who self harm want to feel something, people who are suicidal want to stop feeling something
EmilyH
It depends completely about the person. There are many reasons for self harming, and attempiting suicide might be one. Bad if the persons self harming is really bad then the person might also be suicidal.
amandapclaw
I believe that the two an exist mutually exclusive of one another. I know that it is not the common practice, but in my own struggles with depression, my self harm would serve as a way of releasing negative feelings or as a punishment to myself, while the feelings of wanting to commit suicide came years after I had stopped self harming.
HeyItsMeLiz
Not necessarily, but it's a slippery slope. Sometimes people who hurt themselves do it as a way to stay alive - as an outlet for pain. But sometimes people who hurt themselves do it to experiment with suicide. It is important to talk to the person one-on-one about it first, and then if you find the situation too serious for you, obtain advice anonymously from someone else. If you think the person is in immediate danger, have them call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline.
Anonymous
No. Someone who self harm CAN be suicidal, but not all the time. A lot of persons use or used to self harm but not all of them are suicidal.