Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Should I see a therapist for minor self harm, like biting, pinching and scratching?

7 Answers
Last Updated: 08/13/2019 at 8:58pm
1 Tip to Feel Better
Moderated by

Shruti Naik, MS in Counselling and Psychotherapy


I'm passionate about providing a non-judgmental & supportive platform to my clients to help them understand & accept themselves & overcome any emotional issues troubling them.

Top Rated Answers
November 9th, 2017 8:16pm
Self-harm is all about the intention and the feeling behind it. I know can be easy to focus on the action and behavior rather the feelings behind it; and that if is "minor self-harm" then isn't as important - but if you feel it's affecting your life or how you feel, then it's important despite the behavior itself. If you're asking "should I see a therapist", means something made you consider it, something inside you - in your mind - is asking "maybe I could use some help". Maybe you feel you could benefit from some support, basically there's some part of you that thinks you should, and another part that's making you doubt. That feeling of "maybe I could use some help", that "maybe I should see a therapist" matters more than what wounds you inflict. Because in the end, minor self-harm is still self-harm! You deserve the support and help, no matter the injuries you have or don't have, or how "bad" they are or aren't. Because, in the end, it's the struggles and feelings behind them, that make you turn to them, that matters. :)
December 5th, 2017 9:20am
In any act of causing harm to yourself no matter how minor, i think is a firm sign that help is needed. You’ll want to seek help before things get worse. There’s a want to hurt; doesn’t matter the severity of the harm it’s still contributing to the same mindset. Please talk to someone.
January 15th, 2018 5:45am
Self-harming, no matter how severe it may be, should always be talked about with a therapist or a nearby (and very close) loved one. Dealing with self-harm alone can often lead to worsening symptoms or feelings.
February 4th, 2018 4:53pm
Even a minor form of self harm can become unhealthy so if you feel like you can't cope and that its becoming a problem for you then I think you should.
February 13th, 2018 5:43pm one will be able to recognise the cause of that behavior. It's better to treat it at beginning
February 15th, 2018 6:11am
If you feel that it's affecting or bothering you, then yes, I'd recommend seeing a therapist. It doesn't matter the severity of it, what matters is that you are doing it, or bothered by it. I believe that everyone should seek therapy for anything that's bothering them, and self-harm is no exception. I'm glad you're at least thinking about seeing a therapist, and good luck with everything.
August 13th, 2019 8:58pm
You can see a therapist for anything, if it's something that affects other parts of your life and makes it difficult to live your daily life. Any self-harm isn't "minor" as in, if someone else was biting, pinching and scratching, it would be illegal and you'd have laws that protect you, and it would stop. Because this is happening from inside you, a therapist can be really helpful. Think of therapy as them giving you tools for your toolbox, things you might not have thought of before. Then use your toolbox for living life. When you hit a situation where you can find the right tool, a therapist or counselor will be there ready to hand you new tools. There's no shame in learning new things, especially about your own self.