Why can't I tell someone I cut myself?

Andrea McDonald, MSW, LICSW

It is important to know that you are not alone, life can be difficult I am here to help you navigate and resolve issues that can feel overwhelming.

Cadence
There's often a really bad stigma that comes with those who self harm. If you feel as though you can't tell someone, it's likely because you're scared of what will happen if people find out. It may be seen as strange, but that's just because those who haven't self harmed don't have experience as to why you would have done it. However, you may find it is better to tell people you trust, because otherwise it may weigh in on your conscience for a while, which may cause more of a trigger.
mothernurture
because they will judge you. because they will think you're crazy. They dont understand. because if you try to explain they just have this blank expression and stare at you like yours psycho. but youre really just hurting, and in need of someone's support. in need of a listener.
Anonymous
It's a subject that almost no one takes serious. They dismiss it as being childish or trying to get attention. Only people in your shoes truly understand. You don't want to be judged. You just want to be understood.
Edddy
embarrassed what people would think of me if they knew what I did to myself. And not wanting to disappoint anyone.
Anonymous
You might find it difficult to tell someone you are self harming because you don't want that person to feel like you are doing it for the wrong reasons
Rockbandoreos
because they might think your crazy and want to put you in a mental hospital.... thats not good so i suggest you turn to a therapist
xMeowsAndHugs
February 1st, 2016 8:14pm
Knowing that you may have a problem that either you will be criticized about or feel as if no one will listen can be a challenge. Not telling is a sense of 'what if' and leads you to keeping it a secret. I personally did not want to displease my parents, but telling leads to one more step to getting help from people who care. Do not beat yourself up about it. Take your time to get ready to bring it up to someone that can help you.
happinessstrives01
Is it because your scared of how they will react? And you don't want them to treat you with pity? Personally I was always scared to tell someone I cut, I wanted them to notice that I was hurting but no one ever did but at the same time I never told anyone because I didn't want people to think that I did it for attention
KickBoxer1967
You could be embarrassed or you could think that people who you tell will tell others and people will tease you about
neverletlifetakeyourspark
It is a difficult situation, I know. I never exactly told anyone, I just showed them. That's a good way to do it, I think. I got the help I needed.
Anonymous
You are probably embarrassed of your self harm. It's always hard to tell people anout things you're embarrassed of. Also, many people don't understand self harm. You might be afraid that people will think that you're crazy or weird. You could try writing a letter, or telling somebody on the phone. Talking to someone face to face is often the hardest.
Anonymous
It's hard to feel vulnerable and reach out to someone. Anxiety can also stem from fear of rejection or thinking about how someone will react to this information. The important thing to remember is that you're not alone and reaching out for help will be very valuable to your healing.
TranquilForest77
Sometimes when people are feeling sad or emotionless (blank) they/you inflict physical pain onto yourself. This occurs if the person/you cannot control their psychological pain so by hurting yourself, you can control one type of pain. The reason you may not be abled to tell anyone is because that type of state of mind is very personal.
Anonymous
I know from experience that it's hard to tell anyone that you self harm. You are scared on how they'll react, and what they'll do. I could only tell my friend over the phone, I kept it from my parents for 2 years. But when they found out, I realized I had nothing to worry about. I know it's scary, but it's okay. You'll get better help if you tell them, anyone.
dreamVoice41
Maybe because you feel that they will judge you. Humans as a specie are very judgmental, but that does not mean that you can't tell someone you trust.
distinctBurrito
The reason someone might not be able to tell someone else that they cut or self-harm because they might be embarrassed or maybe they're afraid of the persons response to what they've done to themselves, they might feel like they could be judged for it because some people take self-harm different ways then another person might. THey might just be plain afraid of what the person might do to them, for example, the person might send them to a mental hospital or something extreme like that.
LovelyCharlie
You should tell someone you trust, and ask for help. Cut yourself will not help you with your problems, and is a good sign that you need help.
MedicNemo
There would be a lot of emotions built up in you, behind that course of action. Self harm is a very emotionally unsteady topic that has been known to cause doubt, self-hatred, anxiety and many more bad effects. Being able to share your struggles with someone can be an amazing help and will definitely be worth doing so. The hesitation to share your struggles regarding self harm may be caused by the inability to find someone who has proven their trust to you. Having the faith to let someone help you is really what it comes down to.
eliza1207
Because you're afraid of what they might think. You think they'll judge you and think differently of you.
CatOnAMat
Sometimes people think telling someone about their self harm will make the person they tell disappointed in them or upset, but if that person truly cares about you/ loves you, they will accept you no matter what.
Anonymous
Because it is so terrifying going up to someone and telling them about your self-harming behaviors. A person just can't really come out and open up. A lot of the time, we think as though people might think we are attention-seeking or a "freak" because of what's portrayed on media.