Why do my scars still itch?

★ This question about Self-Harm was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Evelyn Coker, Masters in Social Work-LCSW

You have many strengths to overcome any challenge you may face. I am passionate about assisting my clients realize and develop their strengths from the inside out!

KendallNichole
It's normal for them to itch for years. Here's a "medical" explanation: Wound healing is a very long and complex process which progresses in stages. Three stages of wound healing can be classified as: I. Inflamation; II. Proliferation; and III. Remodeling. These stages are fairly well understood and can be further broken down into specific cellular mechanisms that promote wound healing during each stage. The process can ultimately last for months or even years, depending on exactly where it is on the body, what type of tissue it is, and the kind of use that the tissue receives in terms of daily stretching and exposure to the environment. But in general, since sensation in and around the affected area comes from nerve endings (there are no nerve endings inside scar tissue ... but there are all around scars), itching comes from stimulation of those endings. In early healing, such stimulation can come from the processes of healing itself. But later, the mechanical stretching of scar tissue next to normal tissues can stimulate nerve endings and cause an itching sensation. This is assuming there is no inflammation around the healed tissue.
Anonymous
You scars itch because they are scars. Thats just what scars do, and they will probably be there for awhile. I would know...
Anonymous
Scars itch because they remind you each day, that you went to war, and you made it out alive. The Scars that mark our bodies are prove that we're warriors, each one tells a story like tattoos do. Scars itch because they're memories that don't want to leave you, not because they haunt you, but because they are part of who you are, of who you will be. Scars itch, because they need you to embrace them, and they want to be what pushes you to keep going.
Sangie
My personal scars still itch because of being teased for them. I had open heart surgery at a very young age, the doctors even said I was 75% chance mortality. Yes, I was highly probable to death. Almost 24 now so exceeded my life expectancy. Doesn't stop people from having teased me for my "second belly button" the scar the five left to suck the blood filling my lungs. Or the line down my chest making my clevedge, yeah I'm a girl with boobs, stick out more prominently than most. So no, self inflicted scars aren't the only ones that bring attention to a person, negative attention. Sometimes the scars we have that kept us alive even get ridiculed. What kind of society is that? Anyway. I've learned to accept them. I wouldn't have made it pass age 3 if it weren't for that sugary. Second belly button or not, I'm more glad to still be alive.
TheComedyTragedy
December 3rd, 2014 1:00am
Often scar tissue will change shape and heal for many years to come, see it as a positive that the scars itch - the itch means healing. You are a recovery warrior in the making :)
niamh333
There are a few reasons and it depends whereabouts in the healing process they are. If fairly new, they itch because they are healing and that is a natural part of the process. If they are fairly old it may be due to nerves that were once damaged or cut growing back. Scar tissue has a think layer of skin over it that can itch if it is dry, just like any other skin. This can be helped by using moisturiser on the scarred area :)
ColourfulClarity
Your wounds may still be healing. That's the usual cause for itching. Be sure to keep it clean with soap & water and pat dry with a clean, lint free cloth. I would suggest using an antibiotic ointment to calm the itch. If you are sure the wound is completely healed & the scar is itchy, I would suggest using a gentle, scent free lotion. I've also used cocoa butter- it also helps reduce the appearance of the scars. By keeping wounds clean & allowing them to heal without interference will reduce the scars. Keeping them moisturized will ease itching and minimize their appearance. If your wound is warm, red, and oozing, please see a doctor. It may be infected.
Anonymous
It's normal for them to itch for years. Here's a "medical" explanation: Wound healing is a very long and complex process which progresses in stages. Three stages of wound healing can be classified as: I. Inflamation; II. Proliferation; and III. Remodeling. These stages are fairly well understood and can be further broken down into specific cellular mechanisms that promote wound healing during each stage. The process can ultimately last for months or even years, depending on exactly where it is on the body, what type of tissue it is, and the kind of use that the tissue receives in terms of daily stretching and exposure to the environment. But in general, since sensation in and around the affected area comes from nerve endings (there are no nerve endings inside scar tissue ... but there are all around scars), itching comes from stimulation of those endings. In early healing, such stimulation can come from the processes of healing itself. But later, the mechanical stretching of scar tissue next to normal tissues can stimulate nerve endings and cause an itching sensation. This is assuming there is no inflammation around the healed tissue. ~~~Just found these...you should try them out :) http://www.neosporin.com/products/wound-care-products?page=0. ----------For Itching Now: Any anti itch cream/lotion would probably help. http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=46887&catid=44616
Anonymous
You get addicted to the feeling of hurting yourself as long as your mindset doesnt change. Thats why.
UsagiGirlLovesYou31
April 22nd, 2015 11:38am
They itch because they are healing. All scars do that... Mine do it occasionally but it's okay, it's a natural healing course of your body. It's saying, "Hey, you've hurt yourself here, we're going to help it get better."
Anonymous
Scientists don't actually know for sure why scars are itchy, but in most cases as the scar heals it will get less and less itchy. Holding something cold against the scar can help decrease the sensation if it is proving to be particularly bad.
ChemicalAshes
This could be from your scars still healing. Most scars, self inflicted or not, tend to itch during the healing process. Give it time and they should eventually stop itching.
Anonymous
August 2nd, 2015 10:54pm
I think they still itch as they could still be in the healing recovery process as they may look fine the scars
joeherewithhugs
It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never goneScars have the strange power to remind us that our past is real
Jennalovely2
They are not fully healed! So don't scratch them! They is some non itch cream you can buy at stores to prevent you from scratching them and opening the scars again.
NevaehLee
They're still healing 💜 Rub coconut oil on it, or bio oil. It will help soothe the itchiness. You'll be okay ☪
Anonymous
Your scars probably still itch due to the fact that the scar tissue is still very sensitive, this happens to me a lot, i usually stick some moisturizer on it.
Anonymous
VanessaGraceStory
In part, this itching may be due to the healing process. It may also be due in part to some dryness of the skin overlying the scar.
Anonymous
For the longest time, my scars itched because I always wanted to cut again.. Whenever I would be triggered by something, ,they would start to itch for hours. This may not be your exact problem but that was just me.
purenautre
Its apart of your healing process, or dry skin. Make sure to moisturize the area in which is scarred to prevent itching.
Khalid812
We tend to identify with our past which prevents us from moving on. The Moment we truly accept and love our scars they will stop itching.
ahistoryimake
Medically speaking some scars can still itch you after years of them been there. However, if you are constantly thinking about them your subconscious can make you believe they are itching to draw attention to them. Give it time, medically and mentally and they will eventually stop itching.
TheFleaMarket
Scars could itch after healed for a few reasons physically, mentally, and emotionally. The physical reasons have to do with a dryness of the skin on the scar tissue or even possibly nerve endings which had been severed are growing back causing an itching sensation. Mentally, when we focus on a certain part of the body, we become hypersensitive to it. If the thought of these scars pops up in your mind, it could cause them to be come itchy simply due to thinking about them. Emotionally, the act which created the scars in the first place could still be lingering in the mind causing feelings associated with it to arise. This can bring attention to the scarred area as well; sort of like scratching your cheek if you've said or thought something that was a bit "cheeky" or the sides of your nose if you've said or thought something that made you sad.
Anonymous
Scars will itch for a long time after them scarring. The body takes a while to heal, and it can itch for months or years, often from the stretching of the skin.
Erynn - Expert in Self-Harm
I don't know a medical reason, but I know it's normal. It seems to be a part of the healing process, but sometimes 'healed' scars still itch, so I am not entirely sure why. I have scars from several years ago that still itch every once in a while for a few days on end. I think sometimes something irritates the area. It also seems like raised scars are more likely to itch - so it may indeed be healing-related, meaning scars that are 3 months - 2 years old are more likely to itch than other scars. Once the scar flattens out and fades more it should stop itching. If it's really bothersome, I would consider rubbing some sort of lotion/moisturizer on it or seeing a doctor for advice.
remembertodanceintherain
Because the cut is still healing or fading in this case. My scars still itch also but it's because they're still healing
enigmaticBraveheart19
they may not have healed all the way, or all that well. the itching could also be subconscious, but it feels as though it is prominent.
MontyMaverick41
So that you wont forget about their existence and why they are there. Ignoring them would mean that you did not learn anything from them, and that can be fatal.
Brandonbadn
January 2nd, 2016 4:02pm
mostly because they are tied to really important goals in my life and it can't be helped to touch them whenever something "bad" or frustating happens in my way to achieving those goals. Myabe is a matter of unclosed cycles, maybe not.