Why do my scars still itch?

★ This question about Self-Harm was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Courtney Cline, MS in Psychology and MS in criminal Justice

I have 15 years exeperience in working with clients suffering from depression and substance abuse. I have worked with children and adults and believe in a holistic view.

Anonymous
When fresh wounds turn into scars, it itches because its healing. The scar part is not done healing and will itch when its 3-4 months old aswell.
Anonymous
This can be a psychological problem where your depression wants to remind you, or it could just be normal
Anonymous
You should see the doctor for a consultation. You should get a professional advice as it can cause infection.
zaix
they're scars and if you think about them a lot, it probably makes them itch because you're thinking about them in general.
Anonymous
Your arms still itch because you have cut open your skin. Your skin believes that it is trying to fight an infection or something.
StevensLion
I am not a doctor, but perhaps the skin is still healing. Things often itch when they are healing, so perhaps the scar tissue is still doing a bit of mending around that area. It could be that or a psychological itch that is reminding you of the scars.
YvonneWilcox
When scars heal they become dryer than the other parts of your skin. I use cocoa butter when my scars starts to itch and it stops the itching usually within 20 minutes.
Anonymous
Sometimes it's a matter of a habit. You should notice it and intentionally ignore. You can also see a dermatologist, if it's been for too long and you're already over it.
originalLion57
Not sure if you mean an emotional/mental itch, like you want to hurt yourself more because you're unhappy or a physical itch... but it could be psychological. Otherwise see your doctor if your scars don't look/feel right. They should be healing, unless you're not leaving the scars alone.
amazingMusic77
I am not sure why scars still itch. This is a medical problem and I suggest you consult your physician.
fernanda00
If they have already faded away, then it's probably because of your own mind. When you look at the part of your body where the scar was, for a second if you feel everything you felt on the moment you got the scar, and that makes it feel like it's itching. Sometimes it can also be a way to forget about what that scar has once meant. Or even it seems like it's itching so you remember that there's a scar there, and that represents a part of you.
WishfulEmbrace
It depends. If they are scars from deep wounds, they will probably itch for longer, as it will take longer for them to heal fully. A tip I would give is to not scratch or pick off the scab, as it can delay the healing process.
ElliotAlexander
They are healing! They itch because of dead skin I believe. But, if they itch, don't scratch them! You'll do more damage & disrupt your immune system's process of healing them.
Anonymous
Sometimes the memory of the wound can cause them to itch. I've noticed if your stressed that can cause them to itch as well, kind of a reminder from when it happened.
Anonymous
Most scars, self-inflicted or not, tend to itch occasionally. It's perfectly normal and just part of the healing process.
Anonymous
Probably because you think about them, or your body thinks that they're still fresh. It might just be because you're overthinking the fact that you have scars, so your brain's sending phantom itches to the scars. It's like when you think about head lice and suddenly your head feels itchy.
Anonymous
If they itch still then they probably aren't fully healed or whatever you used could have caused some kind of reaction.
EarlySun
Most likely, your itching is due to the healing process. The nerves in your skin are healing and sending signals that can be experienced as itching. It can be uncomfortable and may last months or even years. If it is really bothersome you can check with your doctor for assessment and treatment if needed.
Anonymous
Because they are still sensitive, try getting some anti itch cream? Just don't scratch it'll get much worse do you do.
KeiSurvivor
Sometimes scars will itch due to weather change. Sometimes they still me be fresh scars so that will itch/irritate your skin. Also I found that in high stress or anxious or depressive situations I tend to itch in general and that increases the itching of scars.
Anonymous
Scars can itch if they are still healing and if it is constant on a daily basis try and see your local doctor as they will try and find out why.
Tejash
The itching of scars may be part of the healing process, and I would strongly advise against scratching them, for this may draw blood. I would suggest getting your scars checked over by a dermatologist, as I am not a trained medical professional in this aspect.
OCDLena
They are still healing even though they are scars!! new skin is still groing. they also may be dried out. Putting lotion on them should help!
Anonymous
I'm not sure I can say mine do too, and they're almost invisible. I've tried moisturizing and it does help a bit.
tranquilFreedom
Your scars probably still itch because your body is still trying to heal where the cuts were or it could be something environmental effecting that area of your body.
poptart99
because they are healing just like your battle with self harm (: its getting better. its normal doesn't mean anything bad
Thanks4Calling
Itching may be due to the healing process, or some dryness of the skin overlying the scar. It is partly to due to the fact that small nerve endings that were damaged are growing back into the area. Even after they have healed they may itch for a while. If they stretch they will also itch. Check with your doctor about obtaining a good moisturiser.
Anonymous
It might be because they are still in a healing process. But if you feel there is something off, you should go get them checked by a profesional
xdchloe
That is a problem that is not uncommon maybe if it gets too irritating see a professional to see if they can offer something to help! Do not stress about it thought it is very normal.
Anonymous
Because they might not be healed fully yet you should ask a health professional for more advice !☺️☺️