why does cutting make me feel better but then bad afterwards?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

XYourTrueFriend
It feels good at first because your releasing all your pain and guilt into it but afterwards you feel bad because you have hurt yourself and you think of "what are my parents going to say" and why you did it and your mind is all overy the place.
Cambriel33
Cutting makes you feel. It makes up for the lack of love or feeling, for the self-hate. But your skin hasn't done you any wrong. When you start treating yourself right, you'll find that others just might too.
Anonymous
because youre releasing pain when you harm yourself, it feels good at first because you feel like youre letting all of your stress and pain. but eventually youll start to feel those painful emotions once again, and you go back to harming yourself and thats how it leads to an addiction
beautifuldevil
September 2nd, 2016 10:20am
Self-harm provides immediate gratification because it distracts from the emotional turmoil that you are trying to escape. However, it is not a solution and so afterwards, you find that the pain hasn't been remedied. That's why it can be so destructive, because it does nothing to help with the issues you are going through.
sereneDreamer45
It's a false relief. There are many other ways to feel relief from pain such as writing it down, drawing, music, singing, dancing, doing whatever you love. Cutting is very dangerous. Please don't hurt yourself. If you are struggling with self harm you can message a listener or a therapist about it. We care about you.
thoughtfulPomegranate86
I have used cutting as a way to distract myself from emotional pain. It works in the moment, but then after you are still left with the pain and the feelings of regret and addiction associated with cutting
Michalla
People experience various feelings when cutting themselves, so it depends on your own experience. One of the posibilities is, that when you're cutting yourself you might feel depressed, angry or have some other strong negative feelings. The physical help than helps you with the mental pain, you feel better and start to thing more rational. And the rationality tells you that self-harm is bad, than someone might find out you've done that and so on... but of course this really depends on how you're experiencing self-harm.
ColdWinterNights
When you're in that state of panic and sadness/anger, any decision you make sounds like a good one, even bad ones like that. After you've finally calmed down and cleared your head, you realize that you've made that mistake.
Nicola2468
This is a great question, and thankyou very much for asking it:) By being a listener here, I have found that many people often feel this way. I think it may be because when you feel the need to cut, the urge may be quite strong so you may start to think more irrationally about it. Also cutting can create some relief from the emotions that have been building up.. so temporarily, it may feel good. You may feel bad afterwards for various reason.. one of those reasons being that maybe you start to think a bit more rationally, and how it only provides temporarily relief. I like to think of cutting as similar to a sugar rush.. when you have sugar/cut, it makes you sort of feel on a high, but that feeling often wears off, and isn't long lasting. I hope that answers your question:) I just want to add that I hope you're safe, and please don't hesitate to reach for help if you ever need too - I wish you all the best!:)
Anonymous
A release of endorphins makes you feel "better" momentarily and then generally most people feel shame after.
ffmedic
cutting or doing any self harm can make a person feel better initially, and then worse afterwards for having done it. When you do self harm your body releases a neurotransmitter called Serotonin. This release and flood of the serotonin can make a person feel good and its essential what taking an antidepressant can do for a person, but unlike an actual antidepressant, cutting or self harm's flood and rush of serotonin only lasts a short while. After that initial surge of the Serotonin has gone, the person has a dip in the chemicals in their brain. Having this can lead to further depression and angst within the person's mental state. Also, after cutting or doing a form of self harm there is always the chance that what you had done will hurt after. So you have physical pain on top of the mental and emotional pain. The more you know, the More you can feel empowered to not want to do the self harm to your body that is already struggling. Instead of releasing that serotonin, look into exercise or doing something productive with your body. It doesn't hurt your mental state with a deeper depression.
wonderfulMagic58
Cutting releases endorphins, which make the body feel good. Unfortunately, feeling good for a few minutes does not make the problem you're struggling with go away. It is much more beneficial to seek support from a therapist, and your family when you want to feel better.
brigettebee
When you cut yourself, your body produces endorphins which make you feel more relieved and happier. After the endorphins have worn off and you realise that you've cut yourself, you may feel guilty for doing that or the scars may remind you of how worthless or hopeless you feel
SympatheticPrune2001
When you cut, hormones are released in the blood stream which make you feel better temporarily but then worse.
Anonymous
Cutting make you feel good when you release blood, in turn using the pain to "release" the internal pain inside you. However, the subsequent scars and wounds aren't worth the pain, and you will feel guilt for doing so to yourself. I suggest healthy coping strategies, such as exercise that can be as little as taking a walk outside, or doodling in a journal.
Arlee
When you harm yourself your making yourself believe that it takes the pain away but truth is, it doesn't. It makes you feel guilty because you feel as if you're disappointing everyone else.
heavenlyCreature75
To your brain cutting take the emotional pain and replaces it with physical pain. cutting won't help forever. reach out the someone older you trust
victoriousPower22
When I would harm myself, I felt like I was finally in control of something. My own life was in my hands, and I liked the power I had. After words I would feel guilt of what others would feel and like I was a coward because I couldn't go through with it. In the end, you can't fight pain with pain. Fight pain with happiness.
neatBike3539
People cut to release their built up emotions. When something hurts your mind so badly, you just feel like you shouldn't exist. After you realize that you cut, you want to stay alive yet change what makes you different. Only it doesn't make you different in a bad way. You're special, unique, beautiful, and talented the way you are.
Anonymous
Cutting makes the emotional hurt you feel physical and that makes you feel better. But you know you shouldn't be doing it but it seems to make you happy so say. It it's because you people tell you not to but you still do it so you feel bad for doing it.
sweetnutella
Cutting just gives you a temporary satisfy. Maybe you didn't think straight about the impact when you cut yourself. Remember, cutting is not good at all >
IvorySound
Because when you cut, you feel as if you are taking away the numb feeling that is hurting. But, then after, you realize that what you are doing is wrong and dangerous. The rush of calmness that comes with the flow of blood, goes away and is replaced by the sting of regret.
hopefulMirage65
Because you generate endorphins and that makes you feel relief for a moment but that moment of relief doesn't worth all the pain and sadness it will cause. If you are thinking about hurting yoursellf try to think about other things and to get distracted and maybe you will be clean today. Good luck
Anonymous
Most likely because it's a dangerous, temporary action of stress relieving. Causing yourself harm is never a good option. I suggest calling the suicide prevention hotline where you live if you ever feel the urge to cut again.
freefromworries
Self-harming is very complicated and there are a lot of feelings that go with it, and everyone is different when it comes to them. A lot of times it feels "good" because there is a release. When someone is in physical pain they no longer think about the emotional pain they're in because the mind goes to the worst pain. A lot of times the "bad" feeling is from guilt, though not always. The different bad feelings depend on the person, so it's different for why it happens as well.
CuteLeaf
The pain of cutting will be lower, But the scars will everytime remain, The pain won't leave you alone, It will always haunt you.
Christlime66
Pain takes your mind of your current worries, I can say this from experience. However later your mind realises that you're trying to cope with something bad in your life, by doing something else bad as well.
Anonymous
From personal experience, I can tell you that self harming also made me feel better. Sometimes cutting can make you feel that you still exist, or sometimes it helps to get your frustrations out. The feeling afterward could be regret and guilt, knowing you'll see your scares every day and remembering why you did it, which can sometimes lead to more self harm since your reliving your bad memories.
ClimbingForever1
Cutting is often used as an outlet for emotion, an impulse that occurs in a moment of panic and upset. Often, a person acts without thinking so they feel they don't have a choice. Only once this act has been completed does the self-harmer look back and wonder why they did this. My advice would be to pick up a pen instead of a razor and doodle instead of cut. Something like that to take your mind off of things. Good luck
TheIrrationalBuddhist20
Cutting distracts the brain from emotional trauma, but a sense of guilt will most likely come afterwards. Rather than cutting, try playing with legos or clay. Your brain will focus more on the work your hands are doing, rather than the emotions.