Are there any natural sleep aids I can take?

Richard Manson, BSW,CAP

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Compassionate, non-judgemental and experienced substance abuse therapist driven to helping guide clients to overcome issues relating to abusing drugs and/or alcohol.

Anonymous
December 3rd, 2014 12:26am
Melatonin is available over the counter and is also a substance that is made by the pineal gland in your brain. It helps regulate your day/night sleep wake cycle, making you feel sleepy kin the absence of light. Taking artificial melatonin can cause your own brain to decrease production of melatonin, making it hard to go to sleep naturally when you stop taking it. Herbs like valerian root, kava kava, and wild lettuce can have a calming, sedative effect on you, but different herbs can have different effects on the body. Consult with an experienced herbalist to better understand the pros and cons of taking different herbs. also know that many "natural" plant-based sleeping medicines sold over the counter contain numerous, sometimes contradictory herbs and other substances in their formulas. Again, consult with an herbalist about the effects and effectiveness of using compound sleep formulas. The words "organic" or "natural" on a label do not necessarily mean safe or effective. As with synthetic sleep medications, natural sleep aids lose effectiveness the longer you use them. They are best used as a temporary solution to get you through a difficult period of insomnia while you work on lifestyle changes and alter sleep habits so you can go to sleep and stay asleep without using substances.
Anonymous
There is possibly many, but a lot of people drink herbal tea and there are many kinds but one kind I know of is called Chamomile & it helps or you can get ones called Sleepy time.
Alex1618
Melatonin can be used as a natural sleeping aid although it is far more effective at beating jetlag.
Casieonskates
I've heard of people taking valerian root successfully. I've used lavender essential oil applied to the soles of my feet as well as in a diffuser by the bed, and I've found that to be helpful.
tranquilTree92
Lavender oil dabbed on a tissue that you can slip into your pillow case might help you to relax and help with falling asleep. Just make sure the oil isn't on material as it can stain :)
awhisperofreassurance
Try herbal teas! Some can really assist the ease of sleeping. It's also not something you can take, but a humidifier can also help assist in sleeping.
AstridKingsley
Yes! Melatonin is a natural hormonal sleep aid, which your body produces naturally. It's the hormone that's supposed to make you sleepy when it gets dark outside, but in our brightly lit electronic world it can become deficient, wrecking havoc on those of us who are already having trouble sleeping. I've actually been taking it periodically for about 4 years now. It works to restore your body's natural sleep cycle, and it's completely non-addictive and doesn't have any known side effects. It just helps you reset your body clock. It's not too expensive and is available at pretty much any store with a pharmacy section. Sometimes I even see it at supermarkets.
Arkelight
It depends on what's preventing you from sleeping properly. One of the oldest yet most effective ways of which to help you sleep is exercise an hour or so before bed, if there's a psychological issue that's preventing you from sleeping then perhaps seeking CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) may be a good thing.
Anonymous
Melatonin is a natural sleep aid. Melatonin is a hormone in your body that helps to decrease the time it takes to fall asleep.
GoldenWorld
Melatonin will help you fall asleep faster and sleep longer and also regulates your internal body clock. Chamomile and Valerian tea also help you relax and sleep better by promoting GABA.
Samantharenee
Melatonin is a wonderful natural sleep aid. I currently take it and have no issues with sleep. Hope that helps!
naturelover55
to induce sleep try to take a warm glass of milk before bed ... it works. If you find trouble falling asleep this might work for you. Give it a try
Anonymous
A lot of teas work to help fall asleep, also little tricks like controlling your breath (4 counts inhaling, 7 counts holding your breath and 8 counts exhaling) will help you fall asleep
CountingMySpoons
Melatonin is a great sleep aid. Helps me a lot and you can get it over the counter at your nearest drug store etc.
lauradove
Chamomile tea is a great sleep aid! Also lavender is very relaxing and assists sleep. Rubbing some lavender balm on your chest or neck, or spraying a pillow with lavender scent is always a good way to go!
Anonymous
Yes, I've often heard that taking melatonin can help you sleep better. I haven't tried it myself but a few of my friends have, and it seems to help them.