Do sleeping pills work?

jennifer fritz, LMSW, PhD

Day to day life can be stressful and overwhelming and my strength is assisting my clients in a supportive, empowering and practical manner.

redwhispers
Some say they do, and some say they don't. I suggest trying natural melatonin medication before getting into chemically-based products that could possibly harm you.
CaitlinRose
Different sleeping pills may or may not work for different individuals. Some are addictive, so please be careful when taking those particular ones! All of them have side effects. Check with your prescribing doctor for more details on this.
Anonymous
I'm not drinking sleeping pills but I think sleeping pills work but it's not good for your health.
Jedda
Sleeping pills and medications can help you to re-set your sleeping cycle so you can have normal sleep cycles again and enough sleep. They are not meant to be a long term solution only short term since they also have side effects which you might not like. If you can find a natural solution to sleep problems rather than taking medications, that is best since you can always readily use those methods again. Sleeping medications help by 'sendning you off to sleep' when you cant seem to get to sleep yourself. They are not severe heavy drugs which you could get addicted to or anything. Use them as directed and sparingly.
Anonymous
It's safer to say yes than no, but it isn't 100% true. It's more of a psychological sort of deal. It's like chemotherapy, you it makes you think you're getting better even though it doesn't do much and your positive attitude and emotions and belief help fuel the intended result and surprisingly enough, it actually happens at times.
AdaptiveTreeListenToMe
In my personal experience, no. I have taken a few in the past and it never made any difference, I still used to toss and turn, wake up throughout the night and wake up feeling horrid.
zchowdh
Sleeping pills do work to an extent. Sometimes, a person can get immune to the pills, so it is better not to take them. You don't want to end up being dependent on them.
sylviavdwb
Based on my personal experience, sleeping pills don't really work and if they do they're usually extremely strong and have addictive stuff in them so you have to take them to sleep. My advice would be to not take them as I've met people who literally can't sleep without them anymore. If you wanna try some then try natural ones because they don't damage your system as the chemical ones do.
Anonymous
Sleeping pills are effective for many people but not for all. They are usually recommended as PRNs or to be taken as needed as the body does get accustom to them. Some people are immune to their effects and other treatment options may have to be explored and further testing such going to sleep clinic may be required as other underlying things make be causing a person's inability to sleep normally.
Anonymous
they do work. it helped me through a hard time. i couldn't sleep because i was to down, and then i was tired the next day and this tore me down even more. i began to take them and i felt better. i don't take them anymore but sometimes i do
cordial2394
Generally, yes. but the quality of sleep usually suffers. Plus your body can become used to taking even the non-addictive type of pills and have trouble sleeping if you don't take them. (The type that can be habit forming causes general withdrawal effects that are dangerous if you don't work with a physician to slowly go off of them.)
DipityEnigma
It depends on the person. In general, pills differ in results. Some people may feel relief from sleeping pills while others may be having issues with theirs. You also have to take into account any factors such as someone who claims the pills aren't working for them might be having side effects from them due to their own fault; such as, missing one pill or more, drinking alcohol while on their medication, drug abuse etc. I would suggest going to your GP if you're considering taking sleeping pills. They're not only licensed professionals, they also have your medical records and will be able to give you accurate advice and information on self-help techniques. Whenever you have a medical query, always go to your GP.
kchristine21
pills work differently for every person. Your friends may take sleeping pills and they work for them and when you take them they don't seem to work. Your doctor will find a solution to a sleeping problem
glowingpeace18339
It really depends on the type of pills you might be taking, and the person. Some work a lot for one person, but not for another. Finding the right sleeping pills for you with help from your psychiatrist could be really helpful:)
TealCat
yeah, they are heaven when you need them, though i only use them when i am sick and it happens to be a night time medicine