How can I fall asleep faster at night? What might help?

Netherlands

Caroline Middelsdorf, MSc.

I am a warm hearted, patient, calm and open-minded therapist. I am here to dedicate my expertises to my clients and their individual challenges, thoughts and feelings.

Anonymous
There is a technique that has been recently brought up called "4-7-8 breathing". Once you are in bed, breathe in through your nose for 4 seconds. Hold it for 7 seconds, and then breathe out through tightly pursed lips for 8 seconds. This method has been proven to reduce adrenaline production in the body, thus relaxing it. Repeating this a few times may be all it needs to send you to sleep. Some more ways of getting the body relaxed and ready for sleep at night include: turning off all electronics at least 30mins before bed, taking a hot bath, and drinking a cup of chamomile tea. Hope this helps!
mariaanna
Avoid consuming drinks or possibly food that contain caffeine and also try relaxing before bed.You could even try exercising a little before you go to bed,or listen to soft music :)
0kay
First, it's very easy to make a sleeping schedule and it helps a lot. If you stick to it, it really does help. You can also sit up in your bed, in the dark, with nothing distracting you, and it will make you tired.
nikkigiveslove
Usually, what I do, is use a whit noise app. I have “relax melodies” where you can mix and match noises to your own liking and have a timer. What also helps me is meditating before I sleep and open some windows/ get fresh air usually calms my brain down.
Arthur01
Reading is often a great way to get to sleep quicker, if you go to bed a little earlier and lay and read, it helps to calm you down, and makes you feel more tired.
ElizaListens
Try creating a routine, same time, create a warm cosy place. Also music and some drinks can help, like warm milk and saint john wart tea
Katreenaelizabeth
You could always read a book or try to watch a show, or some youtube videos even. That's what works for me! :)
DeniseZ
Try reading a book, doing some yoga, or listening to relaxing music. Turn off your TV as it stimulates you brain instead of helping you slow down. If you can, leave you bedroom window slightly open to get some fresh air as you sleep. Also, keep lights such as you alarm clock away from eye sight.
Jawkneee
Start a routine, typically an hour before bed time. First turn off all electronics that aren't needed, no tv, no cellphone (unless you need to put an alarm), and turn off your computer. Then do something that relaxes you, maybe meditation or reading a book. After all that is done, I recommend eating a small snack and drinking a glass of water. You'll sleep like an angel.
crlody
As someone who has had insomnia for years there are a few things I do to help me sleep. One that usually helps the most is listening to a guided meditation - there are some you can download or CDs you can purchase or get from the library. Drinking sleepy tea before bed, taking a hot bath with lavender epsom salt, making sure the room is cool and dark enough also. I also always have a fan on and listen to white noise, which I stream from a free website. If I still have trouble sleeping after all that I get up and do something for a while like reading or journaling - it's not sleep but at least it's better than lying awake in bed all night.
Angelwings2
There are several things that can help with falling asleep faster. I would try closing your eyes and visualizing a safe place. Or clearing your mind for 5-10 minutes before you go to sleep. Melatonin, and valerian root are two natural supplements that can aid in sleep as well as elderberry or chamomile tea. When all else fails, speak with your dr about medications to help with sleep. ~Angel
Megan45
Natural things such as meditation and calm activities before going to bed really help. Also not being on technology or drinking/eating too much sugary foods.
softWingedgiraffe33
The best advice I have heard is to take a warm bath/shower, don't eat right before bed, and don't do anything involving a lit screen (computers, phones, etc.). Listen to relaxing music and maybe read a book before bed.
Anonymous
Practice good sleep hygiene such as not having caffeine before going to be or take sleep aids such a melatonin.
Stephz
I find meditation, yoga, deep breathing, warm drinks can be super helpful. There's also melatonin which is a natural sleep hormone that you can try which you can get from the pharmacy
Anonymous
trying right breathing, focusing yourself in one simple dot in your mind, trying to interrupt flow of thoughts and voila. but its not working for me so xD dunno
Anonymous
Listen to soothing music. The slow beat can calm you down and you can just feel yourself floating away. Many times I have listened to soothing music and woken up with my music still playing!
SparkySparkz
It's dependant on who you are as a person. There's quite a few things you can do, leave some time after eating and sleeping, doing exercise during the day to make you physically tired, try not to stare at a screen, phone or computer before bed - the blue light actually stimulates your brain! Try reading, or taking a bath as well!
art4life
I found that reading a book really helps and avoid electronic devices with screens like laptops they emilt blue radiation which agitates our body's natural sleep cycle
Anonymous
There are some alternative techniques, like breathing through your left nostrill and some sleeping positions that you can research on the internet. But mostly it is whatever you do during the day that has the most impact. I would try exercising in the evening, not doing anything except from sleeping in the bedroom, eating well.
Brittneym101
Some people say that drinking warm milk may help you to fall asleep faster at night. There are also some medications out there that can help. When considering medications for anything it would be best for you to consult a health care professional and/or your primary physician. Also know that these regimens may not work for you. Good luck!!
LucilleTwo
I have chronic insomnia and there are a few things I'd recommend. 1. Mindfulness/meditation apps/soundtracks really help me get out of my thoughts and relax enough to sleep. 2. Whatever relaxes you- a hot bath, a good book, a calm walk an hour or so before bed. 3. The book "No More Sleepless Nights" was a huge boon to me- I used the studies in there to create a sleep log and help pin down some of the causes of my insomnia and avoid them. Good luck and sweet dreams!
Herequeerandcheering
Try to avoid eating or drinking, and exercising before laying down down to go to sleep also try not to keep the tv on or go on technology like phones, iPods, iPads, tablets, ect. an hour before trying to sleep
littlebearfi
Doing something to settle nerves, try something herbal also like melatonin, use a heat/cold pack on ones head. Maybe drink tea or something warm and light. No screen time 1/2-few hours before you time to go to bed. Listen to calming music before bed. Don't eat past 8 o'clock at night.
BlueRoseAoiBara
For me, tiring myself out during the day helps me. That means exercise and no quick naps
Anonymous
I like to step back from the technology and read before bed. I also try to meditate a couple times a week so I can get used to clearing my mind. Sometimes I use guided meditation apps that let me settle down and get to sleep faster.
Sittingwithyou
Here is what works for me personally: no caffeine after noon, exercise, a routine of when I go to bed and get up, no screens just before bed, and mindfulness meditation (especially listening to a guided "body scan."
LinearWaves
Winding down and relaxing before sleep might help you fall asleep faster. It's important not to go to bed your head full of thoughts, questions as they will just keep racing and keep you awake. You can read a book, watch a movie (if you know that electronic devices are not preventing you from falling asleep), eventually write about what's bothering you in a journal, take a nice bath, do some yoga, meditation (no work out though, that might keep you awake if it's too close to bed time!). Music can also help you wind down, especially relaxing ones. Also try not to eat too close to bed time, try to avoid spicy foos, sugary snacks and eating too much if you're not used to any of these and try to ventilate the room with fresh air in the day and not be in a too warm space.
SilverisSarah
Hello! There are some studies that refer that a good sleep hygiena may help you in this. Some strategies include limiting the amount of exercise you do before going to sleep and the activities you do.
thoughtfulApple41
Mindful meditation works well for me. Mostly because it helps me slow my thoughts down and allows me to relax. I also feel that it works better as it is less about thinking nothing and more about acknowledging that thoughts are there and while there will be time for them, it is not now.