How can I put down my phone and go to sleep?

Tracy-Kate Teleke, M.A., LMFT

I assist adults and couples in CA experiencing relationship challenges and interpersonal struggles including anxiety, depression, and a myriad of other life challenges.

Gracey
Putting your phone down on a night is difficult for many people because it can be hard to switch off from the world. I find it useful to do some kind of relaxation/ guided imagery on my phone before I go to sleep where you can close your eyes and just listen. This can help you to relax and turn off a little bit
VanessaGraceStory
Well we all have to practice self control for some things in life. For one, you may have to turn off your phone completely and put it in a drawer somewhere away from you but not to far out of the room you sleep in. If you aren't required to go to sleep or if you're not tired you can always try to read or maybe go outside and look at the stargaze or lay on a hammock outside. If you're in a time sensitive situation then maybe take a good warm bath with essential oils like Lavender, Lemon or Yuzu, Bergamot, Ylang Ylang, Clary sage, Jasmine for your melatonin transmitters that promote you to get sleepy, relaxed and comfortable. You know your situation though, so hopefully this helps some.
Lovelyparadise
Set an alarm on your phone for lets say, 15 minutes and when the timer goes off put your phone to charge in a different room then grab it in the morning.
VeeNess
Before you go to bed, turn your phone off or on airplane mode, and then place it on the opposite side of your room, across from your bed. Don't have it within arms reach, and once you're under the covers it'll be easier to drift off to sleep.
SoulHealing
This requires some effort to overcome this bad habit in order to have a healthy sleep and healthy life. So, you just need to struggle a little
Anonymous
August 23rd, 2017 12:15am
Try to leave your phone outside of your room or on the opposite side of your room. Say goodbye to everyone you're talking to and turn it off. Try doing so about an hour before trying to go to sleep to help your brains stimulation calm down enough for you to sleep.
DannysHear2Help
Download a free blue light filter and use it at night. The blue light emitted by our phone screens is what prevents us from getting tired. By filtering out the blue light, even when looking at your phone you will notice that you still get sleepy and are able to sleep.
YAYamy
Create a schedule for yourself. Identify a time that you will turn your phone off or keep it out of reach each night. Getting in the habit of putting your phone down at the same time every night will make it easier to remember and it will become a normal part of your day.
soothingStrawberry61
I have struggled with this too! I can tell you I have slept SO much better since I made one change. I set a rule that my phone gets put to 'sleep' one hour before I go to bed. So if i want to go to bed at 11, then i put my iPhone to silent and on the charger in another room by 10. Do it ! trust me so worth it!
Anonymous
By thinking to yourself that you'll harm your eyes and your health if you don't put it down. And that there's gonna be another whole day to use your phone
Amy890
1) just do it-place it somewhere in the other corner of your room, set it on silent mode and turn off all the notifications as well as sound and vibration so it won't pull you back, do something else in that time for example reading a book or thinking about some sort of nice, relaxing topic 2) do it gradually, turn off the sound and vibration first, while doing smth else like reading a book. Allow yourself to look at your phone every 10-20 mins but after a while turn off all sort of notifications and internet connection I gotta say that first nights might be difficult and you might experience insomnia but if you stay strong for these couple of hours you will notice that with time you will need your phone less and less and less and at some point of time not at all. Good luck!
kaisea
What works for me is just impromptu putting it down then try to sleep. It could be just staying still for a time, deep breathing or formulating a story in my head until I fall asleep.
Anonymous
Studies suggest that you are electronic free for two hours before you go to sleep. Try keeping your phone away from your room and reading before you go to bed. Even eat a snack a couple minutes before you go to sleep to improve sleep. You can do it!
Anonymous
December 2nd, 2017 1:47am
Simply take a deep breath, look away from the screen and then realize how good it feels to not have your eyes fixed on a small, radiation emitting rectangle. Then reflect on the positive aspects of life until eventually, you find yourself dreaming...
will0thewisp
Whenever I'm struggling to put the phone down at night, I plug in the charger on the other side of the room. That way I can't lay in bed with it, and I know I'll suffer way more if it isn't charged in the morning!
Anonymous
Do not have next to you when you sleep. Turn the ringer off so incoming messages and calls don't disturb you when you are in bed. If you keep your phone on throughout the night, put it on charge away from your bed and still turn the ringer off.
happysunshine9
The best way to put down your phone and go to sleep is to put it up with screen face down and ringer down and then think about something good as laying down to go to sleep
insightfulWaterfall81
Charge your phone in another room. Minimize the distractions. Lie down and you'll fall asleep. Don't force it
Anonymous
Try getting off any sort of technology 2 hours prior to when you head to bed. Blue light stimulates your brain to stay awake, so thats why its hard to sleep after being on your phone. You could also try seeting an alarm on your phone telling you its time for bed. One last tip, is putting your phone in airplane mode before bed, that way you don't recieve social media notifications in the night tha will keep you up.
Anonymous
There's many ways to put your phone down, to help you fall asleep like turning your phone off complete,putting it on don't disturb mood completely as well put phone on vibrate.
Anonymous
Leave your phone out from your room, or make sure its out of reach during the night. Spend half an hour before bed meditating, doing some breathing exercises or just spending some time to yourself
WantToHelpp
Turn the phone off. Or turn notifications off. Then put it on the charger AWAY from you so you’re not tempted to get back on it.
Anonymous
Read a book a couple of hours before intending to go to bed, that way your brain will be well prepared to rest.
Anonymous
Turn it off. Lock it away if you have to. It's tough if it's in front of you. Sometimes it takes putting it in a place you wont bother going to get you started. I know this helps because I did so myself when I wanted to stop using my phone at night. I turned it off and put it up on the shelf so i'd be too tired to bother. And it worked.
sereneBlue2121
Try looking to something more relaxing you might also enjoy doing in the evenings, like reading, drawing, writing...
CJSmith1234567890
Do not keep any electronics in your room, make sure that anytime you use them you are out of your room, you will sleep much better!
Anonymous
Turn it off, turn in to silent mode. Make your phone sleep so you will sleep as well. Put it far from you.
SilentSerenityy
Make a habit of leaving your phone in another room or downstairs before bed. Turn it off before you go to bed so you're less likely to bother turning it back on. This is a case of having self discipline and the desire to want to change your sleeping habits.
Anonymous
Putting your phone down where you can't reach it sometimes help. Self control becomes keys in these situations. Sometimes going on your phone before you go to bed becomes a habit, but you could also try things like prepare for tomorrow, do yoga, or keep your hands busy with maybe rope.
Decembre
I recommend leaving your phone in another room in your house/apartment. This way, you will not hear the notifications of your phone and will forget about it. Also, for the ones who are mostly lazy, will not want to wake up and go get their phone. In conclusion, this would enhance your sleeping.