How do I make myself wake up early on my days off when all I want to do is sleep in?

Collin McShirley, LMFT

I love helping people overcome challenges with food, depression, and anxiety. My work with clients is nonjudgement, supportive, and kind.

caringLuna
i try to write some positive quote on a sticker and put on top of my alarm which i place far enough to make me get out of bed! quote like : ' look outside, it is a very nice sunny day for you to waste, enjoy it! '.
Anonymous
Have something you wanna wake up to. I remember not having studied for an exam until the day itself, so I had planned to get up in the morning and I did. Because the moment, the alarm ran off, I jumped out of the bed and reached for my books. If that you can't find something you wanna wake up to now, use 10 alarm clocks. The sound and annoyance will eventually wake you up.
BunBuns
I think the most important thing is going to bed early the day before and keeping the alarm out of your reach so you don't have the chance to close it. Usually one could start the day with something they like. Little changes can make a lot of difference, put your favourite song as your alarm, get your favourite food for breakfast, take a shower to get energized, do an activity you like (maybe watch an episode of your favourite TV show) and then start your day :)
heretohelp7
March 3rd, 2015 11:01pm
Plan something for that day! Something to make you want to get up and move around! :) Hanging with friends or seeing a movie, just something for you to look forward to.
caringCara11
When we are tired, it's completely reasonable that your body wants to catch up on sleep. Set an alarm - or multiple alarms if you have to. Also, try to develop a regular sleep schedule and get at least 8 hours of sleep per night. To motivate you, think of your goals for that day and how great you will feel when you work towards them today!
DipityEnigma
What I do on days like this is set my alarm and when it goes off, without consciously thinking about it, throw off the covers and jump out of bed and get straight in the shower. Once I'm in the shower, there is no going back to bed.
Anonymous
I struggle with this a lot! I find it's good to play some loud music, and drink a glass of cold water. Then , force yourself to get up, dressed and brush your teeth. Try and eat a good breakfast, as that sets you up for the day :)
KindlyBunny
I know a lot of people may say this, but try putting on several annoying alarms and hide your phone the night before. Or try to sleep in an uncomfortable position so that sleeping in won't be very pleasurable.
Anonymous
I find it easy if I set tons and tons of alarms and make sure that I get at least 8 hours of sleep:) The alarms annoy me so much that I have to get up.
Anonymous
Get to bed 2 hours earlier than usual and set multiple alarms 30 minutes before your due time to wake up. Place 6, 5-minute alarms and place your phone at the end of your room so you have to get up to turn it off.
holly29
I have found that setting an alarm on my days off can really help. The last thing you feel like doing is setting an alarm for days when you don’t have to be anywhere but sleeping in can make you feel like half the day has been wasted. I have found that preparing myself a yummy breakfast the night before can help motivate me to get out of bed when my alarm goes even on my days off. I love to make a chia seed pudding or a bircher muesli the night before – super simple but super tasty and it makes me look forward to breakfast. I have also found that signing myself up to an early morning exercise class on my days off can help me to motivate myself to not hit that snooze button.
kvo8
You could try setting an alarm, but keeping it away from your bed so that you have to get out of bed to turn it off. Or you could make plans for yourself and with others that begin at an earlier time so that you need to get up to get ready. It might also depend on what time you go to sleep at, maybe if you go to bed earlier you will wake up earlier and be well rested :)
Anonymous
You can do it by setting silent alarms to help you wake up on the times you prefer to get up and also making a note for yourself.
calmwaves8
While the temptation to sleep in is there, sleeping in is actually a habit that can be hard to break. Especially, if you have that habit for a long time. In other words, it requires practice and time. You might want to sleep early at night prior to your day off, so your body can enough sleep, allowing you to wake up naturally early in the morning. Another way to wake up early on your day off is to set multiple alarm and place the alarm away from you in bed, preventing you to hit the snooze button immediately. The snooze buttons are always tempting, but you will resist it. The annoying alarm will drag you out of bed to turn off the alarm. Since you are out of bed, might as well go brush your teeth and have a nice breakfast to start your day.